Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
-Update-
I went ahead and jailbreaked, only wanting full file access to the iPad, and wouldn't you know it I couldn't connect to the damn thing after jailbreaking.
I hope you had added afc2add from cydia. this is must to access root files.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
You can also add the openssh package and get ssh & sftp access.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
I hope you had added afc2add from cydia. this is must to access root files.
Ah, so that was my problem when I tried to access through usb. Thanks, I'll remember that if I jailbreak again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
You can also add the openssh package and get ssh & sftp access.
I did that but I couldn't connect. I have also been unable to connect through wifi to Goodreader or Cloudreader, so I think the problem is with my router. If I get a new router I'll try the jailbreak again since the process to jailbreak/restore is so easy.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

The first time you try to connect via ssh it will take a while and probably time out. The first time is when it generates all your host ssh keys and that can take a few minutes, so let it time out and try again. Another tip is to set a static IP address at home on your iPad so you can ssh/sftp back in easier.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
iPhone folders is esiest way to access root with USB. It's very fast and free.
http://iphonefolders.com/
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #21
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
So basically if you upgrade after you jailbreak then you would have to wait for the new jailbreak and manually install all of your non app store apps again?

No way to backup and restore from the original jailbreak?
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
So basically if you upgrade after you jailbreak then you would have to wait for the new jailbreak and manually install all of your non app store apps again?
Correct.

For minor version bumps (3.1.1 to 3.1.2) the jailbreak development team has typically been able to use the same exploits so a new jailbreak is released within days of the Apple update. But for the major versions (2.0 to 3.0) it took weeks, even with the developers having access to the betas. Apple tends to hold their final security locks for the actual release.

Quote:
No way to backup and restore from the original jailbreak?
No. Not really. There are two components to what is in the memory, one is the OS and the other is the user-space data (songs, movies, applications). On an iPhone it's even tricker because you have baseband firmware (the cellular modem that connects to your provider).

iTunes only backs up official Apple applications and not Jailbreak applications (it doesn't even acknowledge their existence on the device really). So a backup and restore, even staying at the same version of the OS, doesn't restore them. You have to re-jailbreak and then re-install. Remember, Apple has no incentive to make jailbreaking easy.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

I jailbreaked again, this time installing the afc2add package. I can. Now access the full iPad file structure through usb. I'm currently using ifunbox but would prefer a linux program... does anyone know of one?

I still can't connect through ssh. The iPad is set up correctly and I don't have a firewall on my laptop. I can even ping the iPad from the laptop. But when I try to connect (using winscp) it timeouts. Even if I increase the timeout time the connection still timesout in the same amount of time, leading me to believe that it can't get even a beginning connection. I think the problem is with my router... if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
If you choose to jailbreak your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Never apply an update until after you have researched the consequences of doing so. You may lose access to your jailbreak apps, or in the case of the iPhone, you may lose your software unlock, rendering your phone useless if you have taken it to another carrier. You may want those shiney new Apple features, but if you value your jailbreak, hold off until it is safe.
Thanks for the warning!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
scottjl
Reader of Books

Some has started a nice list of what jailbreak apps do and don't work with the iPad.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
lilman
Addict

I know MobileTerminal isn't supported yet, but I was able to use Touch Term (from the normal app store) to ssh into itself. I used it to change the ssh password since I am still unable to ssh from other computers on the network.

Only jb apps I've installed so far are OpenSSH and SBSettings. I'll probably get snes4iphone and later nes4iphone if they make it compatible with the iPad. I just hope that if they release an iPad specific version of the emulators (like snes4ipad) that I don't have to rebuy the app.