Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yes, and I say it with pride!!

It now feels like Netflix for books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yes, and I say it with pride!!

It now feels like Netflix for books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have three. Two local cards and one FLoP card.
I collect library cards too. I primarily use 5 cards and have around 10 or so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
14 days too short.

Quote:
You have 7 days to pick up the book when it is lent to you and 14 days once picked up to read it.
That is the catch and it applies to public libraries as well. I have never finished an eBook in 14 days. I read 2 eBooks at one time and it takes me up to 2 to 3 months to finish them.

That is why I BUY all my eBooks. My wife borrows from the Amazon Lending Library (1.7 million eBooks) and buys the free ones (55,000 eBooks).

However, I slant my purchases to the most pages per bucks I pay which excludes the short eBooks and the expensive ones.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm a little curious about this idea of "cards". You mean you have a physical piece of card? What do you need it for? I've never borrowed an eBook from a library, but I always imagined that it was a purely online process.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #35
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I got a real card. Actualy a nice one.

It's the same card as the usual libary card. You need it to look up "your number".

Then you get access to a) your borrowed books (30 per 14 days), b) the ones you reserved (max 15) and c) the list of books you'd like to reserve or to borrow but you can't do that because you don't have enough free slots anymore (this list is unlimited).
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I got a real card. Actualy a nice one.

It's the same card as the usual libary card. You need it to look up "your number".

Then you get access to a) your borrowed books (30 per 14 days), b) the ones you reserved (max 15) and c) the list of books you'd like to reserve or to borrow but you can't do that because you don't have enough free slots anymore (this list is unlimited).
Interesting - thanks! I have a local library which has a good eBook collection; perhaps I should sign up for it. I already have a "TBR" list, though, which is longer than any time I can reasonably expect to live .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #37
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh I think that's normal.. Don't worry about this.

But you'll get other problems with an Ebook library. For example, I only have one free lending slot for the next four days. But I have 15 books reserved, of course.

I never know when I'll get my reserved books. If I get two books tonight, I can't download them both. I'd have to borrow one and skip the other one, which is extremely annoying if it's a book that you've been waiting for..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Oh I think that's normal.. Don't worry about this.

But you'll get other problems with an Ebook library. For example, I only have one free lending slot for the next four days. But I have 15 books reserved, of course.

I never know when I'll get my reserved books. If I get two books tonight, I can't download them both. I'd have to borrow one and skip the other one, which is extremely annoying if it's a book that you've been waiting for..
If it's Overdrive you can do a early return to free up a slot or slots .
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #39
medard
Wizard

I can't do this. But I got used to this, it's a bit funny indeed.

I'll have a look at this Overdrive system now. I'd really like to have access to a british or US-american libary. I don't read a lot of english books, but this might change..
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #40
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have three. Two local cards and one FLoP card.
Picking up my second card in a few days...giving me access to the collections for the rest of the libraries (PINES) in my state. Best part? The card is FREE!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Blossom: How does this work with Amazon's/publishers limit of how many times you can lend a certain book?
This works with Amazon's program so once a book you have listed is lent through Lendle.me, you cannot lend it again!

None of the Penguin books are lendable. Lendle.me is a good site; I've used it, but all it does is kind of serve as a giant list of people who have books that are lendable. The rules are exactly the same as the ones on Amazon because the lending is done through Amazon. You just get credits to be able to borrow from a group of stranger rather than trying to find a relative/friend who might want to borrow so that you can sort of share purchases.

The Lendle.me site is kind of slow, but other than that, I've enjoyed it. There are 3 lendable books that have never come available on lendle.me--so I'm still on the waiting list for them...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #42
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little curious about this idea of "cards". You mean you have a physical piece of card? What do you need it for? I've never borrowed an eBook from a library, but I always imagined that it was a purely online process.
This may differ from library to library. I have a physical card for going in, but I only need to know the number on the back to check out ebooks. You can check out library books "physically" with a driver's license too BUT you can't use the auto-checkout (self-checkout) with your driver's license. You have to have the card with the bar code on the back.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
WOW! And I thought I was extreme! Do they all have ebooks?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That is the catch and it applies to public libraries as well. I have never finished an eBook in 14 days. I read 2 eBooks at one time and it takes me up to 2 to 3 months to finish them.

That is why I BUY all my eBooks. My wife borrows from the Amazon Lending Library (1.7 million eBooks) and buys the free ones (55,000 eBooks).

However, I slant my purchases to the most pages per bucks I pay which excludes the short eBooks and the expensive ones.

I don't know if it would interest you, but I think Jeffry Hepple's books are in Prime-- they are fictionalized history books (meaning the history is accurate, but he writes them with what he supposes they might have said or felt). I like that kind of history (and generally it's the only way I'll read it). He's done mostly the Civil war stuff and some much longer works that I haven't looked into. I am pretty sure his books are in prime (he also has children's books which has nothing to do with his history ones.)

I don't read a lot of history, but I enjoy them when they are "brought alive" in this manner.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I can't do this. But I got used to this, it's a bit funny indeed.

I'll have a look at this Overdrive system now. I'd really like to have access to a british or US-american libary. I don't read a lot of english books, but this might change..
What system in what country are you using now?

As a side note:
I am at the moment researching French libraries that allow remote sign-up and have elending, and Google is not much help.

If anyone knows anything, do let me know. Quebec seems to only have English books, so it would have to be a library in France, I guess.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote