Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Please note they also matched the Fire by halving the RAM to 512Mb
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe the premise was that it would have the same price point as Kindle Fire. Hence, the card slot would be its advantageous feature vs KF.
The price point remains to be seen. They could go lower than the Fire and sell as many as possible before Amazon lowers prices.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like a cheaper Nook Tab, not a Nook Color (which already costs $199). This would put a Nook Tab at the same pricepoint as the Kindle Fire.
The NC is being reduced to $169. That looks to me to be the best deal around! I think it's time to grab one while they're still available.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here is a link to the official Barnes & Noble press release regarding the new 8GB Nook Tablet, priced at $199, and Nook Color's now-lower price of $169.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Please note they also matched the Fire by halving the RAM to 512Mb
Gotta shave specs to get the price down.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
What I find interesting is that they can't simply do an OTA update to free up the user accessible storage space on the 16GB Nook Tablets. Seems like they are going to waste a lot of employee hours "unlocking" the "hidden" storage space.

Also...why on God's good Earth would anyone actually want to keep their accessible storage space limited? Is B&N's device settings so horrible that it can't actually use any of the user accessible storage space for apps or B&N purchased content?
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The NC is being reduced to $169. That looks to me to be the best deal around! I think it's time to grab one while they're still available.
How big is the difference in speed between all the models. Many choices to choose here now.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
How big is the difference in speed between all the models. Many choices to choose here now.
Between the Nook Color and the 16GB Nook Tab it's quite a bit. Dual Core 1GHz vs 800MHz Single Core and the Tab has 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. The 8GB Nook Tab drops the RAM to 512MB, but has the same processor as the 16GB version. When I first got a Nook Tab it was like night and day when compared to my Nook Color (although for things like reading the difference wasn't much).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Speaking of Hz - Happy Birthday to Heinrich Hertz

Quote:
Heinrich Rudolf Hertz (February 22, 1857 – January 1, 1894) was a German physicist who clarified and expanded the electromagnetic theory of light that had been put forth by Maxwell. He was the first to conclusively prove the existence of electromagnetic waves by engineering instruments to transmit and receive radio pulses using experimental procedures that ruled out all other known wireless phenomena.
~~~~~

The SI unit hertz (Hz) was established in his honor by the IEC in 1930 for frequency, a measurement of the number of times that a repeated event occurs per second (also called "cycles per sec" (cps)).
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Between the Nook Color and the 16GB Nook Tab it's quite a bit. Dual Core 1GHz vs 800MHz Single Core and the Tab has 1GB RAM instead of 512MB.
Has anyone compared an oc'd NC at 1200 to a NT?

I haven't been following the NT much but a quick look at a couple of threads after yesterdays announcement tells me it's now locked down more than the Fire?!

After all the fun I've had rooting and roming my NC I don't think I could live with a reader with such limited apps even if the specs are better than my current device. I probably only read 10% of the time on my NC, surf 30%, game 40% and play with roms 20%.

How disappointing.

Last edited by thecdn; 02-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
There are least appears to be one or two ways to unlock it and install CM7 on it. Beyond that, I don't believe there is a way to simply root it and install the android market to the best of my knowledge, as it is part of the ROM that actually prevents non-B&N apps from running, so you'd have to remove the ROM and install a new one.

I am mildly interested in a nook tab, but at the same time I just don't have the spare money for a curosity for rooting and playing around with. I certainly never would buy one with the intention of leaving it "in one piece".
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quad core is just around the corner. Similar money will get you an unlocked device with better specs.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Between the Nook Color and the 16GB Nook Tab it's quite a bit. Dual Core 1GHz vs 800MHz Single Core and the Tab has 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. The 8GB Nook Tab drops the RAM to 512MB, but has the same processor as the 16GB version. When I first got a Nook Tab it was like night and day when compared to my Nook Color (although for things like reading the difference wasn't much).
Thank you. How much affect the memory cut?
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I saw the price drop on the B&N site and thought, "Wow, this might be good for reading some of my PDFs." I haven't been keeping up with the Nook news and had no idea they put the kibosh on sideloading. Guess that rules it out for me.

I'm not against rooting and installing a new ROM, but I shouldn't have to...

I guess I'll just stick with my obsolete Kindle 3 for a while longer.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I saw the price drop on the B&N site and thought, "Wow, this might be good for reading some of my PDFs." I haven't been keeping up with the Nook news and had no idea they put the kibosh on sideloading. Guess that rules it out for me.

I'm not against rooting and installing a new ROM, but I shouldn't have to...

I guess I'll just stick with my obsolete Kindle 3 for a while longer.
The new NT 8GB has 4G for sideloaded content. If you buy the 16G one, you can have it repartition at the store starting March 12th so you have more room for sideloaded content.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote