Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
kreacherteacher
kreacherteacher began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Sleep mode for TTS on Kindle Keyboard possible to develope?

Hello, I am using my kindle keyboard a lot for switching between reading and listening (via the text to speech). At night I like to listen to the book before sleeping but sometimes I forget switching the reading mode off before I fall asleep and next morning I find the kindle read to the end of the book or even had empty battery before it reached the end and I have to search manually for the last position I was listening.

That is what made me wonder if it is possible to develope a little hack that would shut down TTS after 10,15 or 20 minutes automatically. This programm would therefore consist only of a timer and the method call "stop reading).

My kindle keyboard is already jailbroken and it runs the german+english TTS hack which was also discussed and shared on this forum.

I actually can code a little bit in java and c++ but I have NO experience so far with develloping kindle hacks. That is why I want to ask you if you think it is possible with little effort? Hopefully some of you, who have done devellopement with kindle hacks already can tell me if this function would be easy or hard to implement... And maybe someone could even help me get started in one or the other way. I already found this website and will read for myself to get the basics. But if anyone has an idea how I could possibly adress this "stop function" (which one can manually adress by pressing the "back" button on the kindle keyboard, or alternatively by pressing the "Aa" button and choosing "turn off") and if this is even possible, this would be awesome!
kreacherteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That page you linked to is horribly out-of-date.
(And it is written for firmware 3.1 - you have 3.4 (or you should) ).

Instead, use the information on our wiki (see master index sticky) and the most recent of everything required that you can get from this forum.

Yes, there are timer(s) that run in the background, and you are not the first to want an "off timer" - -
I can't recall if the person that already developed it posted the code here or not, you will have to search:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
kreacherteacher
kreacherteacher began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That page you linked to is horribly out-of-date.
(And it is written for firmware 3.1 - you have 3.4 (or you should) ).

Instead, use the information on our wiki (see master index sticky) and the most recent of everything required that you can get from this forum.
Thanks for your immediate response and thanks for this pointer. True, I have firmware 3.4 running on my device. I will read through the wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, there are timer(s) that run in the background, and you are not the first to want an "off timer" - -
I can't recall if the person that already developed it posted the code here or not, you will have to search:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
The problem is that I already did a lot of research on this website and also google before posting. I have used all combinations of the words "kindle, keyboard, 3, tts, text to speech, timer, off, turn off, sleep mode, sleep, etc." so far. The closest I have come to my problem is this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57532
It is adressing the problem but not helping me sadly, since I only have a windows computer.

On this https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3_Index site, there are also no hacks listed which have one of the keywords "timer, tts, text to speech" listed...

I will keep searching and still would be very glad if someone could help me out with my above questions.

Thx in advance guys!

Last edited by kreacherteacher; 01-21-2015 at 09:11 AM.
kreacherteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It might be in a thread about using the Kindle as a weather display that is updated at timed intervals.

I can't remember for certain where the timers where used.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote