Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yes, I did discover the pause setting in ABBYY Fine Reader, unfortunately I probably have some severe case of ADD, when I take up the book to change page all too often I start reading something on that page and then you never know how long it will take. My mind start to wander into the book instead of focusing on the task at hand.
lol - I know exactly what you mean!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Modern computers allow for multiple Mice.
Just tape up the sensor/remove the ball and mount near the stand.
Place pages, click(real mouse needs to be over the 'Capture' button)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #18
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Well, I'm attempting my first book scan. Wish me luck!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It isn't all that difficult. Just be patient and remember to save the scan file regularly so you don't lose all your hard work.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm realizing that. It's just tedious, but so far, seems pretty easy, unlike when I tried a few years ago.

When I tried it a few years ago, I was going for straight OCR, and wasn't completely satisfied. Now, I'm scanning into PDF's and later I'll change it over to OCR. I'm scanning the pages in color document so I can see all of the aging of the original 35 y/o book, which will look great on the tablet.

The first time around I only had e-readers and many, if not most PDF's didn't translate well onto an 6" ereader.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use ABBYY Fine Reader there is an option to scan into e-book directly. I usually scan to PDF/A if it is non-fiction. By saving the scan file I can always go in and change the output later to something I need.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Yes, I did discover the pause setting in ABBYY Fine Reader, unfortunately I probably have some severe case of ADD, when I take up the book to change page all too often I start reading something on that page and then you never know how long it will take. My mind start to wander into the book instead of focusing on the task at hand.
What I do when I'm scanning a book is to move the scanner in front of the TV so I'm watching some TV program while mindlessly just turning the pages in the book and pressing it down against the glass, and the scanner is set to auto scan every few seconds. That keeps me from looking at anything within the book to get distracted and miss the auto scan time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
What I do when I'm scanning a book is to move the scanner in front of the TV so I'm watching some TV program while mindlessly just turning the pages in the book and pressing it down against the glass, and the scanner is set to auto scan every few seconds. That keeps me from looking at anything within the book to get distracted and miss the auto scan time.
Not a bad idea. I might try that, luckily it is networked. I discovered that s pause of 6 or 7 second seems to be the perfect pause, until you run into a snag turning pages.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
If you use ABBYY Fine Reader there is an option to scan into e-book directly. I usually scan to PDF/A if it is non-fiction. By saving the scan file I can always go in and change the output later to something I need.
I didn't see that option, or the option to pause. I'm guessing that's in the Windows version only. I'm using the OSX version, which is FineReader Express.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I didn't see that option, or the option to pause. I'm guessing that's in the Windows version only. I'm using the OSX version, which is FineReader Express.
Is there an option for multi page scanning in the scan dialog box?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Is there an option for multi page scanning in the scan dialog box?
There's an option for multi-image scan, for business cards and photos. There's also a direct OCR option, but not an option for my PDF pages to be split where the gutter seam is.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
There's an option for multi-image scan, for business cards and photos. There's also a direct OCR option, but not an option for my PDF pages to be split where the gutter seam is.
Seems there are some significant differences, I get automatic side breaks along the gutter seam. My only problem is that occasionally it misses the pagination number and I have to set that as a read zone manually.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
SolRaven
Wizard

So far it workout out pretty well. I may rescan the first batch, when I was learning, because the pages aren't straight, but over all, I'm pleased.

Now... to figure out how to turn it into an epub.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Usually there is an auto correct feature for skewed scans. The OCR works better on straight lines so the scanning feature can fix lines that aren't straight.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #30
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Usually there is an auto correct feature for skewed scans. The OCR works better on straight lines so the scanning feature can fix lines that aren't straight.
That's what I thought. I'll have to look into it. Thankfully, I kept my batches pretty small, so it won't take much to re-scan, if I need to.