Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Typing in Book View

Is there some way to enter a regular space character in Book View. The space bar outputs   instead?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Mystery solved

Shift+spacebar does the trick!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Yikes!

Yikes!

No it doesn't!! It works sometimes!?

What's with that kind of behavior?!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is a result of the conversion between text to XML (Xerces if I remember correctly).
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you type just one space between words, you do get a space. It's because of typing multiple spaces that you don't just get a space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Exactly. If you tell Book View to add a space, and there is already a space there, then its forced to put in an nbsp entity since otherwise multiple spaces will be reduced to 1 space by Tidy and by readers.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool that's not what's happening to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Exactly. If you tell Book View to add a space, and there is already a space there, then its forced to put in an nbsp entity since otherwise multiple spaces will be reduced to 1 space by Tidy and by readers.
That may well be, but that's not what's happening to me.

I have a split paragraph, I remedy that with a delete which puts two words together, so I place the cursor where one word ends and another begins and press the spacebar. When I switch to code view to see, it has an   instead of a space. Most of the time it's the same with a shift+spacebar as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Do you just have one <p>paragraph</p> <p>followed by another?</p>

With just paragraphs, it works fine for me. I can delete at the end, and then hit space, and there is only a space not nbsp when I switch to CV. Of course, I'm using the latest source so Qt5 may behave differently. But it won't be long before you're able to test it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Do you just have one <p>paragraph</p> <p>followed by another?</p>

With just paragraphs, it works fine for me. I can delete at the end, and then hit space, and there is only a space not nbsp when I switch to CV. Of course, I'm using the latest source so Qt5 may behave differently. But it won't be long before you're able to test it.

<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seen</p>

<p class="calibre15">inside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seeninside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seen&nbsp;inside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seen</p>

<p class="calibre15">inside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seeninside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

<p class="calibre15">“I’ve got a cat,” said the boy, unexpectedly. James blinked at him, and then noticed the box sitting on the seat next to the boy. It had a hinged grate for a door and a small black and white cat could be seen&nbsp;inside, lounging and licking its forepaw. “You aren’t allergic to cats, are you?” the boy asked James earnestly.</p>

I can confirm I've seen this behavior. I was cleaning up an aborted ebook that some poor guy got from a "formatter" that was done in Calibre. When I hit "delete" in BV and then space, I get nbsp;'s.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The del key triggers it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I can confirm I've seen this behavior. I was cleaning up an aborted ebook that some poor guy got from a "formatter" that was done in Calibre. When I hit "delete" in BV and then space, I get nbsp;'s.

H
Ahhh....so it's the del key that triggers it. Thanks Hitch!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do the cleaning in code view. You'll get the space that way.

One thing to try is to copy a space and when you need it, paste it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do the cleaning in code view. You'll get the space that way.

One thing to try is to copy a space and when you need it, paste it.
Wolfie, my curmudgeonly friend:

I normally do clean in CV, and in CV only. But this thing...I can't explain how incredibly BAD it was. I had to fix almost every line as a broken paragraph. I did as much as I could in regex (the dolt that did this--for thousands of dollars, mind you--even put images in-between portions of paragraphs, like in a print book, because he didn't understand what would happen), and then after hours of it, I switched to BV to do a quick visual scan, to find what hadn't been picked up in Regex. I did do the "easy" think and just hit the delete key plus a space. That's how I saw the behavior.

However, let me add: it wasn't two spaces. It was one; first I deleted the closing p tag and the line-feed and the opening p tag; at that point the last word of the former paragraph and the first word of the new were joined; I placed my cursor and hit the space-bar. That created the nbsp;. I just needed a freaking break after hours of staring at code. {shrug}.

H

Last edited by Hitch; 01-24-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: To add clarification about what I did.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
You can also get a &nbsp for the following:
Code:
Original: <p>"Are you talking to me?" Snearing, he replied, "of course I am talking to you! Is there any other?"</p>
Editing:  <p>"Are you talking to me?" [Return]Snearing, he replied, "of course I am talking to you! Is there any other?"</p>
Result:   <p>"Are you talking to me?"&nbsp</p>
          <p>Snearing, he replied, "of course I am talking to you! Is there any other?"</p>
Note that when Editing, the placement of the cursor is moot except for determining whether the previous (before space) or next (after space) paragraph has the &nbsp added. If that space is highlighted/selected and the [Return] is pressed, no &nbsp results.

The ebook I'm editing has blank lines between paragraphs in code view (but not book view) in case that matters.

I'm assuming this book was also put through calibre at some point, although I don't know the extent. It lists calibre in it's metadata, but the text itself seems otherwise very clean of the hodge-podge of formatting styles that used to result. It's been awhile since I did any editing though (calibre v8, Sigil v5) and perhaps the conversion output has been cleaned up since then.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-24-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool solution

Ok, got it. If you want to stay in book view and be assured that you're not inputting an &nbsp; then this sequence works:

1. Highlight the rift between the two parts of the paragraph
2. I seem to be unable to not highlight the first character of the lower half
3. Press DEL then SPACEBAR then type the character you also highlighted to replace it.

Poof, a regular space instead of an &nbsp; and you haven't had to go to code view!! The workflow is smooth.