Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Stanza has been dead for years. Only the love of its legion of fans keeps its zombie heart beating, long after it should have been laid to rest.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
buriedreader
buriedreader began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone
Does anything besides Stanza play nice with calibre?

Do any of the other ereaders support the Calibre content server? Do they let you work with Calibre other than dragging and dropping via iTunes?

I like Goodreader, but I dont think it works with Calibre AND it cant handle epubs. Is there a good ereader that handles epubs and pdfs? (and is not iBooks)

BR
buriedreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by buriedreader View Post
Do any of the other ereaders support the Calibre content server? Do they let you work with Calibre other than dragging and dropping via iTunes?

I like Goodreader, but I dont think it works with Calibre AND it cant handle epubs. Is there a good ereader that handles epubs and pdfs? (and is not iBooks)

BR
Megareader and Shubook both do this. Both are paid apps at $1.99. There is a free version of shubook but it wont access Calibre. Both also allow you to add your own sources. At this stage, Shubook is the closest to Stanza in terms of functionality.

In fact, after typing this, I did a bit more downloading from Calibre and I find that it manages the library in much the same way as Stanza, and it also has the alphabet access down the side, like stanza, as well as, when you sort by author, instead of having one long list, it groups all books by the same author together on an author page. I have not yet looked at the editing of author/title as we could do with stanza, but it was not a huge issue for me. Formatting is something I have not yet looked into but will upload a file which gets distributed regularly by other members to check how formatting is managed.

[edit] I ran the formatted file and Shubook handles standard format pretty well, but NOT span with class.. Editing of title and author gets a big tick. Also, you can choose to accept the publisher's category/label, or you can make/add your own from the same page as the edit author/title.

The dictionary works.
You can add your own fonts for use by the program.
You have access to the book summary via Table of Contents page (i)
You can email a book or export it to the itunes folder.
You can choose to open a book in another application if you wish

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-21-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect info
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Stanza has been dead for years. Only the love of its legion of fans keeps its zombie heart beating, long after it should have been laid to rest.
And why should it be laid to rest? I would love to switch to something that is actively developed but nothing out there has all the features Stanza has. It seems like all the others are still playing catchup. Some refuse to work on Jailbroken devices. When I find something that has user catalog support, screen dimming via swipe, infinite page control, simple dictionary lookup, etc. then I will make the switch. I just don't understand why Stanza is denigrated when it still works better than any of the newer apps.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
As you pointed out elsewhere, ShuBook actually does and both a dimmer and a progress bar. It's very close to what Stanza was when it was supported. I've added both Calibre and a feed from a web bookstore with no trouble.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinert View Post
As you pointed out elsewhere, ShuBook actually does and both a dimmer and a progress bar.
Fixed post.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
And why should it be laid to rest? I would love to switch to something that is actively developed but nothing out there has all the features Stanza has. ..
No, it doesnt anymore. DO pay attention to shubookSE. The only things I can see that it doesnt do that Stanza does (well not so much anymore) is getting a cover from the internet for books that dont have one. And then Annotations. So if you have a need for annotation, then sure, nothing else does the job. But if you dont, just go spend money and buy ShubookSE. Don't bother with the free version, go straight to the paid version. You won't regret it.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oopps! Some says it works well and some don't... so what's the best thing to do about it>
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
HPG
Enthusiast
HPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
Oopps! Some says it works well and some don't... so what's the best thing to do about it>
My feeling is that it boils down to a point made earlier in this thread: If you've got Stanza set up on your device such that all the page formatting is as you want it (apart from font size and brightness, which can still be adjusted), there doesn't seem any reason not to carry on using Stanza for now. That's what I'm doing.

It's just that you can't make any more sophisticated adjustments such as margin, line or paragraph spacing, which Stanza was so much better at than any of the existing offerings. You can find each adjustment or nice ergonomic feature (apart from pinch-or-spread to change font size) on one or another of the competing offerings, but so far I don't think anyone's found one that does them all. Certainly Shubook SE comes pretty close, though, although changing font size is clunky and you can't specify different fonts for day and night reading (and the day/night reading switcher doesn't work properly at the moment). i2Reader actually has more formatting adjustments than Stanza, but it's very frustrating to spend ages setting it up so that it renders things like, for example, italic exactly as you want it to, only to discover that it often doesn't do the rendering (i.e. italicized text isn't italicized) or when it does it positions it wrongly so that there's no gap either before or after an italicized word.
HPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am after the convenient and stress free app... I am not after the font style or whatever.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
HPG
Enthusiast
HPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
I am after the convenient and stress free app... I am not after the font style or whatever.
I can't argue with that
HPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
greenyouth
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPG View Post
I can't argue with that

yeah! who doesn't want stress-free apps? Though, i am not sure if it exists...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
And why should it be laid to rest? I would love to switch to something that is actively developed but nothing out there has all the features Stanza has. It seems like all the others are still playing catchup. Some refuse to work on Jailbroken devices. When I find something that has user catalog support, screen dimming via swipe, infinite page control, simple dictionary lookup, etc. then I will make the switch. I just don't understand why Stanza is denigrated when it still works better than any of the newer apps.
Mostly because it is buggy as hell and crashes constantly.

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world Stanza would still be actively developed and would far and away be the best iPhone reading app in existence. But Amazon's none-too-subtle efforts to kill it off mean it's time to move on.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Well, I'm giving Shubook (paid ver) a try and I like it so far. But, I have never had Stanza crash on me after 2 years of constant use.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Always a chance Amazon will fix it. A good training project for a junior developer. But in the mean time, I'll be taking it off the iPad...still debating whether it is worth updating my iPod Touch to iOS6.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote