Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
PDF reflow--Astak Pocket Pro vs. Sony Reader

Has anyone had experience with both of these devices? I have the Sony 700, and in addition to hating the glare on it, the reflow on PDFs is not great. With some documents, it cuts lines randomly when you increase the font--like moving all but the first letter of a word to the next line. I'm tempted to sell the 700 and buy the Pocket Pro for $199 but not without getting some feedback about the PDF reflow compared to the Sony. Thanks! Skoobwoman
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
Has anyone had experience with both of these devices? I have the Sony 700, and in addition to hating the glare on it, the reflow on PDFs is not great. With some documents, it cuts lines randomly when you increase the font--like moving all but the first letter of a word to the next line. I'm tempted to sell the 700 and buy the Pocket Pro for $199 but not without getting some feedback about the PDF reflow compared to the Sony. Thanks! Skoobwoman
I have both ebook readers--well, my Sonys are a 500 and a 505--but frankly PDF reflow is bad on all three. I haven't used PDF much on the PPro for just that reason. It seems to be a little bit better but I think that's probably due to the smaller screen, which causes more page breaks so you don't have quite so many places where text is left hanging halfway down the screen.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not used PDFs much on my Pocket Pro, but so far as I can tell its reflow is exactly like the Windows Sony ebook library viewer. I don't think this is any different from the reflow on the PRS-700. It still sometimes has issues with reflow when there are images on the page and some PDFs seem to have hard line breaks that cause ugly reflow on both the Procket Pro and in the Sony viewer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Thanks for your replies. Have you heard of any devices that are better at reflow then? I hated my iLiad--it was heavy and user-unfriendly! I have the DX but I'm hoping to find something smaller that can re-flow the text.
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Rodry
Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZReader, palm TX
Foxit eSlick ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
Thanks for your replies. Have you heard of any devices that are better at reflow then? I hated my iLiad--it was heavy and user-unfriendly! I have the DX but I'm hoping to find something smaller that can re-flow the text.
Apparently, the Foxit eSlick ebook reader is the only device handling PDFs properly. Just check this review:

http://computershopper.com/periphera...s/foxit-eslick
Rodry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodry View Post
Apparently, the Foxit eSlick ebook reader is the only device handling PDFs properly. Just check this review:

http://computershopper.com/periphera...s/foxit-eslick
It's funny how they say the Kindle DX doesn't reflow or zoom the PDF. Well yea, with the 9 inch screen you shouldn't have to in order to see/read the document properly. That is the whole point of the DX.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote