Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Eoin Colfer to write new "Hitchhiker" book

Not directly related to our main topic of conversation, perhaps, but I'm sure that it will interest many people to know that popular childrens' author Eoin Colfer (author of the "Artemis Fowl" series) has been chosen by Douglas Adams' widow to write a new book in the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series.

For more details, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/7619708.stm
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hmmmm, I don't really know how to react to that.

On one hand, I like the Idea of another HHGTTG book, but on the other hand I don't think anyone but the late Mr. Adams can really pull it off.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He is the ideal choice. I don't know if you've read the "Artemis Fowl" books? They are very "Douglas Adams-esque" humour.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i feel the same as slite ; wouldn't it be brilliant to have another one, and one that you haven't actually read eleventy billion times already, but... in the past i've been invariably disappointed when someone tries to take up where a (dead) author has left off ; Thrones and Dominations comes to mind, which tried really hard to follow in the footsteps of Dorothy Sayers (and while that's already not easy, it's nothing compared to the footsteps of Douglas Adams). it came close, but it just wasn't right. it didn't feel natural ; you could sense that the author wasn't writing in her own voice, but trying to imitate someone else's.

however, i have not read the artemis fowl books (although i'm about to add them to my list, after this bit of news), and it would be thrilling to have a 6th book in the trilogy (maybe then we could add a little sub-script "2" every time we write "the hitchhiker trilogy" sort of like h2o), so i'll try to stay optimistic and wait and see. and i'll read it when it comes out.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Havent read the Artemis Fowl books either, but if they are as Harry says, Douglasesque (is that a word?) I have to pick them up and check them out.
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Havent read the Artemis Fowl books either, but if they are as Harry says, Douglasesque (is that a word?) I have to pick them up and check them out.
They are not available as eBooks. So there's a good chance the new HHGTTG book won't be either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Aren't they "young adult" books? I tend to remember my 11 year old reading them for the "battle of the books" at school.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Aren't they "young adult" books? I tend to remember my 11 year old reading them for the "battle of the books" at school.

BOb
Point being? I often enjoy reading books for "young adults" even if I'm plodding along being closer to the big five-oh than not It's the kind of stuff I can read on the comuter train going into work in the mornings, don't have to put too much thought into it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, they're aimed at the teenage market.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Point being? I often enjoy reading books for "young adults" even if I'm plodding along being closer to the big five-oh than not It's the kind of stuff I can read on the comuter train going into work in the mornings, don't have to put too much thought into it.
I'm not saying "young reader" books are bad... just why perhaps many here haven't read them. I think they were published fairly recently. The oldest one I see on Amazon is pub2001.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I shudder at the thought. I remember when "new" Nero Wolfe novels were published after Rex Stout's death. I tried reading one and didn't even finish it. I feel the same about Jill Paton Walsh's Peter Wimsey novels. Rex Stout spoke about this directly and decried the practice, saying it didn't show respect to the original author, but I can't find the quote.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Films and TV series etc all continue with new authors and Also series like star wars and star trek all had multiple succesful authors so It can work.

I think the idea should be a New book in the HHGTTG world By Eoin Colfer

acknowledge that it is a book by a different author just set in the same universe.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
I really think this is just a marketing ploy by the publisher to pull in more dosh. If Eoin Colfer wants to write his own Douglasesque books that's fine but why call it part of the Hitch Hikers series which it patently isn't?
Dont fall for the marketeers spin.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
I really think this is just a marketing ploy by the publisher to pull in more dosh. If Eoin Colfer wants to write his own Douglasesque books that's fine but why call it part of the Hitch Hikers series which it patently isn't?
Dont fall for the marketeers spin.
I dont get why you feel like that? Lots of series have had multiple authors and been great.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Maybe lots of series have multiple authors but long established series by a single author do not need extending by publishing houses who are just trying to make money on the back of the name. If the author is good enough they should be able to write their own series and if necessary claim it in the style of, or a tribute to the original. But it is never going to be a genuine continuation of a series, no matter how great, despite any thing the marketeers say. The same goes for writing "new" James Bond books.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote