Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #31
Chubulor
Edge User

According to dontpanic's post in GD they are making progress on both PE and EE for Froyo. No date or timeframe given though -- interpret that according to whatever level the liquid in your glass is at.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
...according to whatever level the liquid in your glass is at.
Mine is nearly empty...

Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #33
mrspaceman
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenarrow View Post
Where have you seen this? I am a fairly active member over there, and haven't seen anything about our Edge.
sorry, I didn't mean eDGe specific, but just general info about rolling an Android ROM.

andy.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
MichaelV
Edge User

I hate to say, but I said long time ago, that they do not care. time to move on guys.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #35
thegreenarrow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
I hate to say, but I said long time ago, that they do not care. time to move on guys.
Agreed. Pushing something off indefinitely sounds like no longer pursuing to me and it doesn't seem like there is enough interest to spur any custom roms, it's at least a little upsetting, I feel like the platform had a lot more potential than this.

Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
Chubulor
Edge User

The Adam is apparently going to have a Wacom digitizer in the PQi screen, enabling the writing of notes on the screen. Not sure about PDF annotation yet.

That there is some bad news for EE, as when people shopping for tablets ask me about pros and cons about the Edge, the main pro is that it's the cheapest decent tool out there for annotating PDFs right now.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #37
alefor
Edge User

I certainly hope you are right about the Adam.... competition is a very good thing and will drive up the overall quality of tablet devices. But, let's be honest, right now the Adam and the Kno are just vaporware. Both of these look like great devices. The Adam web site doesnt mention a digitizer, but they do mention a "surprise feature"...maybe thats it. The Kno is a cool device, but huge, expensive and too focused on students (everything organized around semesters and courses) for my liking. The fact is that none of them are shipping yet. It all remains to be seen.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #38
Chubulor
Edge User

Just because something isn't shipping yet doesn't make it vaporware. The Adam has already been submitted to the FCC for approval.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #39
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Just because something isn't shipping yet doesn't make it vaporware
"vaporware" = "not shipping" by definition

FCC submission and even approval doesn't mean it will actually ship to customers.

Last edited by borisb; 12-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #40
Chubulor
Edge User

You're using a funny dictionary. By that definition, anyone who pre-orders a product is purchasing vaporware.

Do recall that the Edge's release date was delayed as well.

Last edited by Chubulor; 12-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #41
borisb
Edge User

No, you're quite right. Pre-orders are inherently risky. A moral company will reimburse the preorder payments (if credit cards were actually charged) if they can't fulfill them (didn't the infamous JooJoo do something like that?) or you can say "bye bye" to your money when the company goes belly up and disappears altogether. It's one thing to have a few engineering samples and/or demo units (Detroit does this at each years Auto Show with their concept cars), but it takes a lot more to get a device actually into mass production and shipping out the door.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #42
mphoseeko
Edge User

What do you think of your enTourage now.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #43
borisb
Edge User

enTourage fulfilled all their preorders. They have negotiated major book & textbook content deals. They have negotiated major distribution deals, selling on Amazon and Best Buy just to mention few, and selling in university and college book/computer stores. They have negotiated international distribution deals. They have an 8 million track music library available (PE now, EE coming). They are regularly releasing major and minor software updates. They launched a second product in less than 9 months of their first product. The customers keep coming.

Seems to me they're busy and successful to date with a bright future

And, yes, there are a handful of malcontents like yourself and Chubulor that are simply never happy yet still can't resist visiting these forums

Well, I guess this dead horse of a thread has been flogged enough.

Last edited by borisb; 12-02-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #44
alefor
Edge User

I'm still gonna add 2 more cents- dead horse or live horse. In my opinion, pre-ordering something is indeed just buying vaporware. You never know till it ships to you. And if it is killed off before shipping you gotta hope they'll do the right thing and refund your money.

The success of the eDGe can be judged by each customer and thats up to them as individuals. The business success or failure is totally unknown except to those on the inside and only time will tell for the rest of us.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #45
Chubulor
Edge User

Well, you can define "vaporware" however you want...but if the definition is "something that's not shipping yet" then the term doesn't deserve any negative connotation. Every device in the world was vaporware at one point by that definition. By that definition the Edge was vaporware at the beginning of this year (and indeed missed the original release date in Feb).

The way most people use the word is to describe something that was hyped up early and had multiple promised release dates missed. Hence the negative connotation of the word, which you guys seem to want to invoke with respect to Adam.