Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
RedDogInCan
RedDogInCan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Importing Email in Calibre

Before I get my hands dirty, I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has done anything similar.

I receive a lot of newsletters via email that I never have time to read when I'm working at my computer. However, when I have a few spare minutes and am looking for something useful to do, I generally don't have access to my email. I thought it would be useful to be able to have these email newsletters on my ereader via Calibre.

Converting the newsletters should be straight forward - they are either straight text or HTML. I was thinking of dumping the individual messages to files in a directory somewhere and having Calibre sweep them up but that isn't very cross platform compatible. The other option, which I think I'll go with, is to have Calibre access the messages through folders using imap. This way I can just move email newsletters into the appropriate mail folder and have Calibre automatically download them just like it does with RSS feeds. If I get really smart, I should be able to use the read status of the messages to detect which messages to download.

Any thoughts or suggestions to guide me on my way?

RedDogInCan
RedDogInCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
i believe there are webservices/tools that automatically turn imap mailboxes into rss feeds. I can't remember any at the moment, but googling should turn them up.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
RedDogInCan

I had a look at a few imap to rss converters but I couldn't get them to work satisfactorily.

The other option is to email them to your Instapaper account.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
RedDogInCan

After playing with it for a while, Instapaper seems to be an ideal solution. I can email newsletters directly to my Instapaper account and then have Instapaper email the mobi file directly to my Kindle (for Amazon's fairly hefty international 3G fee) or browse to the Instapaper web site on the Kindle and download the mobi files for free.