Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
yuenslhk
yuenslhk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
For People with 2.52 and cannot install unicode hack

HI, I had find a way to overcome the install process, first , download the jailbreak file
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...-jailbreak.zip

The install this file
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=712234
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=712235
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=712236

I try it in K2i , success , with 2.52, but still did not have uninstall file now

Read more: http://blogkindle.com/2010/06/unicod...#ixzz0r1asG8w5
yuenslhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

I really hate that that "jailbreak" overwrites Amazon's key when it doesn't need to.

So I repackaged it to create the key uniquely. This also means that the jailbreak doesn't ever need to be uninstalled. I've attached the updates for all 4 models.

Also, I repackaged the screensaver hack for all four models as well.

[EDIT:]

Screen saver install directions:
1) Install the jailbreak. The update will "fail" on the kindle, but will create a certificate that will verify our signed hack packages.
2) Install/Uninstall Screen Saver bins as normal.

[Edit again:]
A single backslash prevented the old uninstall scripts from removing the version tag. This has been fixed, and the new uninstall scripts work as expected. I'm sure I'll get a million people yelling during the next official update, however. oh well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-2.5-jailbreak.zip (54.5 KB, 10007 views)
File Type: zip kindle-2.5-screensaver-hack-0.4.zip (16.7 KB, 8813 views)

Last edited by clarknova; 06-17-2010 at 07:17 AM.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Is this safe for us to do to our Kindles?
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I really hate that that "jailbreak" overwrites Amazon's key when it doesn't need to.

So I repackaged it to create the key uniquely. This also means that the jailbreak doesn't ever need to be uninstalled. I've attached the updates for all 4 models.

Also, I repackaged the screensaver hack for all four models as well.
Thanks. I just tried it on my K2-US and now have my custom screen-saver again. Looking forward to my Georgia2 font before too much longer, I hope.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Follow-up question: do you need to run the "jailbreak" first, or just install the screen-saver file? (I did both, but I see a report and KindleBoards that someone else had success just installing the screensaver file.)
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
The jailbreak file does not work on my k2i.

The screensaver hack did work without installing the jailbreak file for me.
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy4brats View Post
The jailbreak file does not work on my k2i.

The screensaver hack did work without installing the jailbreak file for me.
I believe it's expected that the jailbreak will report as having "failed" when in actuality it did what it needed to do to make it so that the actual screensaver install file can work.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
I believe it's expected that the jailbreak will report as having "failed" when in actuality it did what it needed to do to make it so that the actual screensaver install file can work.
Ah.... Good to know.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
dobes
dobes began at the beginning.

Did someone move the files? The link seems to be invalid.
dobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Follow-up question: do you need to run the "jailbreak" first, or just install the screen-saver file? (I did both, but I see a report and KindleBoards that someone else had success just installing the screensaver file.)
Yes. porkupan's jailbreak installs the certificate on the kindle. We need this there so we can sign our hacks with the key, and have the kindle verify it and allow them to install.

Also, I didn't include an uninstaller for the repackaged jailbreak, since the jailbreak doesn't change anything, it only installs the public key to /etc/uks/pubhackkey01.pem . And this should never affect an official update. If it turns out later that amazon specifically writes an update to fail if that file is there, then it's a simple case of making an uninstaller that simply removes the key.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
bigdtc
bigdtc began at the beginning.

(ignore)

Last edited by bigdtc; 06-16-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: answers appeared in post after I started typing.
bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobes View Post
Did someone move the files? The link seems to be invalid.
No, I was updating the archives to include the source code, and fix a typo in the uninstall scripts.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
dskag
Enthusiast
dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Thanks. I just tried it on my K2-US and now have my custom screen-saver again. Looking forward to my Georgia2 font before too much longer, I hope.

Oh, I sure hope you're right, NogDog! I'm holding off on manually applying the Kindle update. I just can't give up the font enhancements.
dskag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Does this work for the K2 US?
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Does this work for the K2 US?
Yep.. NogDog tested it on his K2 (US)