Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
This is the only hack I need. Now I don't have to run everything through Calibre just to get rid of full justification. Thanks so much. (I used EditPadLite - free.)
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I was hoping that

ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = false

would remove the reading indicator at the bottom of the screen. No such luck, or I didn't have the magical incantation required. My justification toggle setting is still there but this didn't stick.

Personally I would like the reading indicator to go away like the status bar at the top, and give me the whole screen to read on (in PDF mode also). MENU button could reveal both.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #33
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hi,

I have no problem modifying the reader.pref file. It saves fine and what not, but every time I restart the Kindle or the framework, it reverts back to how it was before, and all of my settings are deleted. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #34
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Kranu:

I had the same problem - did it about three times a while back and each time it reverted and that line was missing.

About a week ago, I tried again after someone posted about justification in another thread.

I don't recall what I did but I believe that I rebooted and did not open anything on the kindle, edited that file and rebooted again. I think one has to be careful that the kindle does not re-write that file if the kindle is in some "active" state where it writes back its cached (or similar stored file) version.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #35
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I know this has been said before elsewhere, but the Kindle should be on the home page before plugging usb in to edit reader.prefs. Then, after ejecting, go immediately to the settings menu and restart. If you do anything else, reader.prefs will revert to setting made before your changes. Also note that if you change the words per line setting in Aa menu, your margins will revert back to default.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #36
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Cool!!
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #37
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I've tried this three times with 3.1 and failed to get it to work. It did work with previous versions. Amazon may have changed something with 3.1 that breaks this. Or I'm doing it wrong.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #38
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I've tried this three times with 3.1 and failed to get it to work. It did work with previous versions. Amazon may have changed something with 3.1 that breaks this. Or I'm doing it wrong.
Are you getting the Justification option in the Aa menu? I just tried it (for the first time ever!) and it works. The first book I tried it on must be formatted to force full justification, but it is working with other books.

I used Programmer's Notepad for editing, just because I already had it.

Oh - and yes, I do have ver 3.1 installed.
btobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #39
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Anybody else tested this with the new 3.1 update? I'd hate to lose the ability to toggle justification off.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Anybody else tested this with the new 3.1 update? I'd hate to lose the ability to toggle justification off.
The justification toggle still works fine for me after the 3.1 update.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
when I open reader.pref I only see this

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Fri Feb 11 19:04:17 GMT-05:00 2011
FONT_SIZE=25
LINE_SPACING=3
DICTIONARY=The New Oxford American Dictionary
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/News/BBC News (fast)_2011-2-11.mobi
FONT_FAMILY=serif
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #42
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
when I open reader.pref I only see this

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Fri Feb 11 19:04:17 GMT-05:00 2011
FONT_SIZE=25
LINE_SPACING=3
DICTIONARY=The New Oxford American Dictionary
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/News/BBC News (fast)_2011-2-11.mobi
FONT_FAMILY=serif
The ALLOW_FONT_JUSTIFICATION line isn't supposed to be there. You have to add it yourself
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Works fine for me with 3.1. The update doesn't touch the .prefs file at all.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #44
EricRFMA
EricRFMA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
Thanks for this hack! It works great, but as mentioned some books have full-justification hard-coded, and this toggle won't override that

I'm using a K3 with Kindle OS 3.1.

For people where this didn't seem to work, I had the same problem, but that was because I didn't IMMEDIATELY restart the Kindle as indicated in the instructions. First I tried to use the switch, that seems to reset the config file so you lose your changes (as montalex mentioned above)

So it works for me. I sent a note to kindle-feedback asking why this wasn't just plain available and why we have to tap-dance to bend it to our will!

Thanks again.

-Eric
EricRFMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #45
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I have the opposite problem of many of you - I have a book that is left justified which I want to make full justified. I don't see the system folder, though. What am I missing?
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks