Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Can the Aura 6" be rooted? And have you done it?

Can it be rooted? I appreciate it's not an actual root but overwriting the OS completely. I've seen people state that in theory it can be done, but I haven't see anybody having done it. Have you done it?

I have previously asked this, but never got an adequate answer. I'm asking again because the Aura 6" is currently on sale for the long weekend. Thanks up-front.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The challenge is that, as far as I know, the Aura does NOT contain an SD card, so this leads to issues of recoverability if anything goes wrong.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So no one has ever actually rooted a 6" Aura?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
OK... Yes... folks have "rooted" the Kobo supplied O/S to obtain Telnet access, and installed 3rd party reading applications.

However, people have NOT replaced the O/S by debian, Android or other choice.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"Rooted" applies to Android devices. By extension you might stretch it to a Linux device that obscured the OS, like Android does.

No rooting is required for the Kobo e-ink devices. I know of no "3rd party reading application" that requires or uses "rooting".

Luck;
Ken

PS; https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231681

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-16-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
"Rooted" applies to Android devices. By extension you might stretch it to a Linux device that obscured the OS, like Android does.

No rooting is required for the Kobo e-ink devices. I know of no "3rd party reading application" that requires or uses "rooting".

Luck;
Ken

PS; https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231681
I've read that thread and there is very little reference to the Aura 6".

N.B. I did qualify my use of the word 'root' in my first post to mean the over-writing of the OS with Android.

Thanks for posting anyway.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
OK... Yes... folks have "rooted" the Kobo supplied O/S to obtain Telnet access, and installed 3rd party reading applications.

However, people have NOT replaced the O/S by debian, Android or other choice.
So it's theoretically possible, but no one's done it, or it's not possible. Who knows? Anyway, thanks for posting. The only way I think I'd find out is by trying it. I'm surprised there aren't more concrete references to "rooting" (please see my note!) an Aura 6" on the net. Which makes me suspect no one's actually done it. Shame, because it's on sale and the light looks a lot better than the Glo's in the vids I've seen.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, since rooting actually means to gain root user level access and privileges for/to an Android device, and the Kobos are programmed in Linux(arguably kissing cousins, but hardly the same), that probably explains why there are no references to rooting them. Two things that are equal are not necessarily the same. If I'm not mistaken the Kobo readers are basically unprotected and you have "root level" access to begin with.

What you should be searching for is something along the lines of, "Has anyone ported a version of Android over to Kobo?", or something to that effect. A quick forum search will show they have for some models. Whether the Aura is one, I cannot say. Then you can start inquiring how to root that.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-17-2014 at 11:53 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
So it's theoretically possible, but no one's done it, or it's not possible. Who knows? Anyway, thanks for posting. The only way I think I'd find out is by trying it. I'm surprised there aren't more concrete references to "rooting" (please see my note!) an Aura 6" on the net. Which makes me suspect no one's actually done it. Shame, because it's on sale and the light looks a lot better than the Glo's in the vids I've seen.
The major issue for me is likely that unlike the Aura, the other Kobo ereaders (most of the Touches, all the Glos and Aura HDs) have internal uSD cards that can be removed and replaced. When I tried an Android build on a Glo, I simply replaced the existing uSD card with the one that had the Android OS. The first attempt froze the Glo. If not for the removeable uSD card, I would have had a brick on my hands.

I still play with my Aura HD but now using a kludge to allowing booting from the external uSD card. Fun with my Aura HD but not with my wife's Aura -- if I bricked the Aura, it would be 1) moderately expensive and 2) likely result in me having to check for a froth of ground glass and a sediment of fishhooks in my drinks.

In theory, you could boot from the external uSD card -- that was how the original Kobo ereader did a firmware upgrade when you dragged it into the local Chapters/Indigo to recover from a failed upgrade -- and rewrite the internal storage if you have a backup but that only works if the internal storage is still able to boot. If not, you have the nasty issue of attempting to recover when a rogue process has corrupted the internal storage and your ereader is no longer bootable.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Well, since rooting actually means to gain root user level access and privileges for/to an Android device, and the Kobos are programmed in Linux(arguably kissing cousins, but hardly the same), that probably explains why there are no references to rooting them. Two things that are equal are not necessarily the same. If I'm not mistaken the Kobo readers are basically unprotected and you have "root level" access to begin with.

What you should be searching for is something along the lines of, "Has anyone ported a version of Android over to Kobo?", or something to that effect. A quick forum search will show they have for some models. Whether the Aura is one, I cannot say. Then you can start inquiring how to root that.
Sigh. While I do appreciate you taking the time to answer, I have already covered this point in two previous posts.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-18-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The major issue for me is likely that unlike the Aura, the other Kobo ereaders (most of the Touches, all the Glos and Aura HDs) have internal uSD cards that can be removed and replaced. When I tried an Android build on a Glo, I simply replaced the existing uSD card with the one that had the Android OS. The first attempt froze the Glo. If not for the removeable uSD card, I would have had a brick on my hands.

I still play with my Aura HD but now using a kludge to allowing booting from the external uSD card. Fun with my Aura HD but not with my wife's Aura -- if I bricked the Aura, it would be 1) moderately expensive and 2) likely result in me having to check for a froth of ground glass and a sediment of fishhooks in my drinks.

In theory, you could boot from the external uSD card -- that was how the original Kobo ereader did a firmware upgrade when you dragged it into the local Chapters/Indigo to recover from a failed upgrade -- and rewrite the internal storage if you have a backup but that only works if the internal storage is still able to boot. If not, you have the nasty issue of attempting to recover when a rogue process has corrupted the internal storage and your ereader is no longer bootable.

Regards,
David
Many thanks for your informative posts. Yes, it sounds dangerous, and I have yet to find anyone who has actually done it. Shame, because the Aura 6" is a nice device.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Sigh. While I do appreciate you taking the time to answer, I have already covered this point in two previous posts.
SIGH. While I do appreciate the hubris of adopting an air of condescension from a position indicative of a lack of knowledge, or at least terminology, I fail to respect it... Continued good luck finding a moose by describing a pygmy marmoset. The point I was trying so simply to make was that you have to ask or search for what you actually want, close only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades, RPGs, and tactical nuclear weapons...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote