Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
without knowing his background it would make his choices seem... odd!?
I'd say "empty," but same idea.

Quote:
I would say if you enjoy star wars or sci fi/adventure novels start reading at least at the start of the Vong series.
I'd also agree that Vector Prime (the first of the YV books) would be a good place to jump back in ... well, less bad than most.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does one have to have read the comic books as well as the novels in order to understand Star Wars?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been reading it, without the history, and yes, there are some moments when you can tell you're missing out on some past history that helps to explain a character's actions. On the other hand, the book goes out of its way to give the reader at least an outline of most of this backstory, so you're not left going "What! Why the $%$*%&!! did he do that?" too often.

Part of me is into the story, which is well-written and thought out. But another part is hung up on the fact that it seems every new character is a direct descendant from the original movie characters, and into pretty much the same activities as their parents (how convenient... none of them just wanted to be a gardener when they grew up?), plus a bad guy who just happens to be Han Solo's cousin... I have a hard time getting past coincidences like that. And there is a lot of material thrown in seemingly to remind the reader of how nauseatingly knowledgeable the author is about the entire Star Wars universe (many Star Trek writers exhibit this habit, too).

But really, most of that is nit-picking. The book has a very Star Wars flavor, and it's an enjoyable read. Haven't decided whether I'll keep reading the series yet, though (I yearn for something new, these days).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #49
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I've been reading it, without the history, and yes, there are some moments when you can tell you're missing out on some past history that helps to explain a character's actions. On the other hand, the book goes out of its way to give the reader at least an outline of most of this backstory, so you're not left going "What! Why the $%$*%&!! did he do that?" too often.

Part of me is into the story, which is well-written and thought out. But another part is hung up on the fact that it seems every new character is a direct descendant from the original movie characters, and into pretty much the same activities as their parents (how convenient... none of them just wanted to be a gardener when they grew up?), plus a bad guy who just happens to be Han Solo's cousin... I have a hard time getting past coincidences like that. And there is a lot of material thrown in seemingly to remind the reader of how nauseatingly knowledgeable the author is about the entire Star Wars universe (many Star Trek writers exhibit this habit, too).

But really, most of that is nit-picking. The book has a very Star Wars flavor, and it's an enjoyable read. Haven't decided whether I'll keep reading the series yet, though (I yearn for something new, these days).
I do agree in part, however it would be amusing If the son of the greatest living Jedi who was also powerful in the force decided to become a gardner rather than a superpowered lightsaber wielding Macdaddy.

For what its worth earlier in the series Jacen Solo was very much commited to not being a jedi and went 'travelling' for many years before being dragged back into it due to the war.

but yes small points and they are enjoyable the later books/story get very good.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I do agree in part, however it would be amusing If the son of the greatest living Jedi who was also powerful in the force decided to become a gardner rather than a superpowered lightsaber wielding Macdaddy.
"No thanks, pop. Just give me my light-trowel, and I'm happy." Yeah, okay, it's a stretch...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
del rey, free book, star wars