Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #61
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I had to read and re-read this because I'm not sure what you're arguing for or against

The thing you have to remember is that KOBO has a responsibility of managing their own KEPUB books, nothing else; However, they do give their clients options if they wish to purchase their books elsewhere, or if they don't want to use the desktop software; they really didn't need to do it, but makes their reader more versatile if they do. While their desktop software is definitely not perfect, it does work. (if you want to delete a book btw, you can do so in the desktop software; restoring it later from the website is required, but it will not be permanently deleted. I've done this a number of times now, unless something has changed recently with the new version of the software).
you dont get the picture all you see is copyright.. there is no reason what so ever that KOBO needs to delete the books We pay for from our computers and redownload them every time we logn into the software thats a dumbass where of doing things and is to be honest pathetically inefficient. Its not that difficult to protect the books from being loaded to your device if you did not buy them. Thats small tweak on Kobo's part. Also when i remove the book from my ereader that i purchased i dont want to have to delete them again when i sync to wifi. I should be able to choose if this is to be synced after i have done it the first time.

yes the books are deleted every time you log out.. and redownloaded its not a good way of doing things it protects nothing. It just makes things stupid actually to have to sit and watch your content redownloaded. Kobo can prevent this by actually leaving the books on the computer and locking them to the user account. Meaning if i dont log in those books are not accessable again this is only a minor change on KOBOs part.

The over all point that is being made here is the desktop software does a crap job of managing the books.. The other softwares that have been mentiond fill in where the KDS doesnt come through. But not one software does it all. You have to manage through several dif softwares where the KDS could easily do it better and well. It could also stream line things on the KOBO and make the KOBO faster by handling all sorting and building the directory on the computer and then having the Kobo read this created directory to locate your books on the kobo. And no the directory file would be transfered to the kobo not kept on the computer as this would defeat the purpose. Its also more efficient this way. You could build your series or author base and then you could easly add this functionality to the kobo.

The other thing that is important here is you want one and only one software handling all things. That will eliminate errors corruptions and other stuff that crops up from time to time. Again this would make the kobo run smoother faster and cleaner.

BTW this is my opinion and only my opinion, you may have your own opinion that is your opinion no matter how wrong or right you or i maybe.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Jack I agree.....It is just so simple
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #63
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
There is already an all in one solution called Calibre, or ADE for that matter.

i kind of like the way Kobo does it I use their software to manage the kepubs and calibre to manage everything else. we have 4 kobos and 2 accounts in our house so if I want to manage my daughters kobo I log into her account adn after a short wait her books are there ready to be added,deleted etc, when I manage my kepubs I log into my account and I dont have to sift through her stuff.

All and all it works well for me
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #64
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post

i kind of like the way Kobo does it I use their software to manage the kepubs and calibre to manage everything else. we have 4 kobos and 2 accounts in our house so if I want to manage my daughters kobo I log into her account adn after a short wait her books are there ready to be added,deleted etc, when I manage my kepubs I log into my account and I dont have to sift through her stuff.

unfortunately Baronrus, you probably don't get it either; might as well let it go...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #65
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Probably right I can be a bit dim about this stuff...
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #66
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim. Dim being really dim
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #67
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Calibre and ADE do not do it all.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #68
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
LOGGED into my kobo desktop and it told me

regards

Jack
PLEASE, IS THERE THE REMOTE POSSIBILITY that in the future you could create a thread whose title is NOT ALL IN CAPS? At first glance I discovered two of your threads were like that.

I HATE CAPS! CAPS ARE UGLY!

We are in a reading/book sort of forum, after all. Nice typesetting does matter. At least to me.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #69
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Probably right I can be a bit dim about this stuff...
it has nothing to do with you being dim. it has everything to do with making the kobo work faster and smoother. The kobo desktop software could be used to organize our collections and tell the kobo reader where we store those books. It would take a huge processing load off the kobo and streamline searches as it would all be indexed by the desktop computer and that information stored on the kobo in properly parsed data base that the ereader would utilize. This would infact help to increase access time and search times as it would take a load off the ereader. Pyske only sees a small picture and has decided that using multiple software is best. But it is inefficient and could potentially lead to corruption of your books resulting in a person having to reload all over again. Not a big thing if you keep a few books. But some have a huge collections 3000+ or more.. And with the Ebook taking forever to process content off th cards and main memory, I can only imagine how long it would take to do the full 30k of books advertised. But if your desktop software scanned and orgainzied the books on the memory card created a file and data base... also could be used to bring the features of Series, Authur, publisher,genre organization to the Kobo as well as the ability to bring multiple fonts to all our books. This is where the desktop software needs to go. And unfortunately a lot of people figure that the Caliber, ADE, do it all but they dont and they are not a total solution. The Kobo Desktop could be but again its not. It currently can only deal with its own things and it doesnt really do that well. Once you download your book it should stay on your computer 100 percent of the time. not untill you log out.. The books are DR maintained so its not an issue of that. So there is no logical reason to delete them. As far as our books go it would be nice to see our entire collection displayed on the KDS as it would eliminate all kinds of problems. There is no need to sync our books to the KOBO servers that honestly would be a waste of time. We could browse our library from our kobo readers via wifi at home and possibly online as well. And that would allow us to choose the content we want on the readers. But it would be 100 percent handled from the KDS not from 3 or more programs. The intergration of organization would greatly improve the overal perfomance on our Ereaders 10fold. It would also bring alot of the features we want to the reader and most importantly it would provide support to the reader and again taking the load off of mundane tasks would increase the perfomance if the reader had those jobs done via the computer.

But unfortuantely a lot of people are not seeing the trees because of the forest.

regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #70
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
PLEASE, IS THERE THE REMOTE POSSIBILITY that in the future you could create a thread whose title is NOT ALL IN CAPS? At first glance I discovered two of your threads were like that.

I HATE CAPS! CAPS ARE UGLY!

We are in a reading/book sort of forum, after all. Nice typesetting does matter. At least to me.
CAPS ARE LETTERS AND ONLY LETTERS IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM THEN DONT USE THEM. I FOR ONE DONT CARE IF WORDS ARE CAPS OR SMALL LETTERS. I LEARNED IN SCHOOL TO READ ALL THOSE LETTERS AND STRANGELY ENOUGH THOSE WORDS ARE THE SAME WHETHER THEY ARE IN LOWER CASE OR UPPER CASE. REGARDLESS WORDS ARE JUST THAT WORDS.

As to spelling well I still have issues with that.

regards

Jack
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #71
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
... I LEARNED IN SCHOOL TO READ ALL THOSE LETTERS AND ...
That was not my point.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #72
baronrus
Addict

Benjamin, If you read this thread carefully your will realize that it is not 'your point' that matters! (toung firmly in cheek)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #73
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Benjamin, If you read this thread carefully your will realize that it is not 'your point' that matters! (toung firmly in cheek)
Actually baronrus, you are entitled to your view but you and a few others have a very short sighted view on the limitations of the desktop software. You dont see the potential that it could be. You are so firmly rooted in your view of Calibre and ADE that you think its ok. As far as they go they do provide support to some things but they are not the end all of all things ereader. They lack in the ability to provide dedicated support that the KDS should provide. The KDS only provides support to purchased books, calibre does not it really only officailly supports non drm content. ADE only really supplies support storing content but not catloging it. Although it does use book selfs. But you can not do such as Calibre does which is organize content via series,author and numerous tags. KDS does not allow you to add your own content, nor does it allow for cataloging either. How ever all this could be added quite easily if KOBO thought it through. I can not stress this enough do so would increase the ability to speed the K readers significantly by having all the mundane sorting tasks orgainzed any way you would like. You only see things as you have decided they should be. So you miss the point in its entirety over why the KDS software should be able to do it all. You say you dont need to do that because you can utilize 2 or more softwares that will do it for you . But you run the risk of entire corruption of your ebooks (not saying that it will happen but the potential is there ) Aside from that Calibre does a kick ass job at what it does but it does not support KOBO EREADERS as the KDS should. It is a very limited support that it does have and for good reasons. Same as ADE it is a horid interface, it is very klunky its not good at displaying the books on your computer it doesnt support a lot things that should be supported by the KDS.

Calibre does a fair job of displaying your books and so does the KDS but honestly it is limited.

You quite dont like it if someone cotradicts you and thats quite all right. Your entitled to a view even if you dont open your eyes and see.

Regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Might I also suggest that people learn it is NOT required to quote an ENTIRE message... At many times LESS IS MORE
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #75
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Might I also suggest that people learn it is NOT required to quote an ENTIRE message... At many times LESS IS MORE
Who cares if people qoute an entire message or not? Did it render your eyes blind? Did it make you deaf? Did it crash your computer? I am going to guess it did not. So why complain about nothing? In the scheme of things all great and small what difference does it make except to you?

regards

Jack