Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
K1 over three years old, battery still working.

Probably not all that interesting to most people, but I just realized my K1 is two months past its three-year birthday. The battery still is plugging along like, well, the Energizer Bunny. Recharges still last about as long, and I read several hours daily.

Ironically, way back, I purchased an extra battery from Radio Shack, just in case, when Amazon had them back ordered. There it still sits. Well, may need it someday.

Sorry folks, but I am completely contented with this Kindle and have no reason to upgrade. Yet.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
TLActor
TLActor began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Evo, K3
That is wonderful to know! I'm considering a Kindle and it's lack of removable battery was one of my concerns...but knowing it'll still be going strong after three years makes me feel a lot better!
TLActor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Probably not all that interesting to most people, but I just realized my K1 is two months past its three-year birthday. The battery still is plugging along like, well, the Energizer Bunny. Recharges still last about as long, and I read several hours daily.

Ironically, way back, I purchased an extra battery from Radio Shack, just in case, when Amazon had them back ordered. There it still sits. Well, may need it someday.

Sorry folks, but I am completely contented with this Kindle and have no reason to upgrade. Yet.
That's fantastic! I'm really glad to see that you have gotten so much out of your device. My husband is inheriting my 2 year old Sony PRS-505, I hope it last him a while longer, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Other manufacturers: are you reading this?
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I have a K1 on permanent loan to my younger brother— he uses it constantly. The original battery is still going strong.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

My Cybook Gen3 is half an month younger then your Kindle and the battery is still giving me similar results to when it was young!

eBook readers based in eInk just keep on delivering in the battery front… I would say that most of the times something else will die first before the battery will go bad.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Lithium ion batteries are good for several hundred charge/discharge cycles before capacity falls to 1/2 of designed capacity. These devices make minimal demand on the battery so a charge may last a month with nondaily use or a couple weeks with daily use, if you keep the radio turned off most of the time. That means the battery should be good for many hundreds of weeks, i.e. at least a few years, before charge capacity drops to 1/2.

I don't know about you but any device that I only have to charge once a week is still perfectly usable to me. I think the battery will have to fall to 1/4 capacity before I'll even start trying to figure out how to install a replacement, and I'll probably let it go until I need to charge it every other day. I anticipate a loooooong life for the battery in MY Kindle.

The battery will probably last so long that by the time I need a replacement, the latest generation of ebook readers will be so much more impressive I'll want to get a new one.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 03-26-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Well, I don't know if I'm spoiled or just expects too much.
But if my Kindle's battery dies in (less than) three years, I'll consider it as extremely poor quality. Actually, my first Kindle lasted 4 months before the battery went "down the drain".

As mentioned, perhaps I'm spoiled (batterywise) by my:
11 year old (first) digital camera, which still (as new) manages 2-300 pictures before charge.
6 year old camcorder, which still (as new) manages 2 hrs recording.
4 year old MP3-playes that holds (as also originally) the charge for 15-20 hours.

I've already returned my first Kindle, as mentioned, after just 4 months as the battery held the charge for two! -2- days, even without any reading nor wi-fi, and just sitting there.
So far I've charged the new (received for free on warranty) twice in 6 weeks and the indicator shows abt 75% charge left.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
excellent!

Sadly, I've been getting a little fussed over my Kindle 3 lately. Seems like I have to charge about every other day. It isn't a huge deal to me since I haven't been traveling as much this year. But I'm still thinking about giving CS a call. My Kindle 2 is still going great on battery life though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
excellent!
Sadly, I've been getting a little fussed over my Kindle 3 lately. Seems like I have to charge about every other day.
Maybe there is an issue with the Kindle-3 batteries?
As mine, it held for two days regardless. When I called CS and told about my battery issue, they became non-interested in further conversation, only "ordered" me to send it in and a replacement was sent from them that same afternoon.
So, yes, I'm for one, very satisfied with the Amazon CS. Not only for Kindle issues, but also defective DVD's (one off, a full ten season box set) and erroneously sent books (twice).
The Kindle and the DVD box set, I had to return, but the wrongly sent books I was told to keep, and they sent me the correct ones, express mail.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
On the 3rd battery for my K1, first for my K2, DXG and K3.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am rather interested in how you would compare all of those book readers that you have there? How the kindle stack up to the Sony PRS and the Rocket reader?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote