Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #121
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't have the italic problem with Moon+ and I think it's related to what font you use. I use Roboto regular and italic looks good. If you choose the default fonts it seems to work too - the generic sans, serif, and mono at the top of the list of fonts. When I tried any other font except Roboto regular it seems to use Roboto for italic. Roboto is the default system font on my Nexus 7 so that makes sense - if it can't find the italic you want it defaults to the system font.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, you should be able to choose what font you want. But if you have to have serif or sans serif fonts you can try the generic fonts at the top of the font list.
It doesn't matter what font I choose the italics are in Roboto which is a horrible font. If you use that font of course you won't notice it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #122
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It doesn't matter what font I choose the italics are in Roboto which is a horrible font. If you use that font of course you won't notice it.
Even if you choose the generic serif at the very top of the font choice list? That works for me. I think Roboto is the easiest for me to read. I find any serif font difficult.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Even if you choose the generic serif at the very top of the font choice list? That works for me. I think Roboto is the easiest for me to read. I find any serif font difficult.
Yep. I use Trebuchet font to read with. It's sans-serif. The only serif font I can stand is Amasis. I've added weight and resize them to work perfectly for me.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Can someone please tell me what +0.1 setting does? It's under the font size setting in visual options.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #125
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Can someone please tell me what +0.1 setting does? It's under the font size setting in visual options.
It's a kind of micro adjustment for font size. So instead of going from say 16 to 17 you can go from 16 to 16.1, 16.2 etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #126
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's a kind of micro adjustment for font size. So instead of going from say 16 to 17 you can go from 16 to 16.1, 16.2 etc.
Oh! That makes sense. Like I told you my brain is mush today.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #127
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
The Moon+ developer is now actively trying to resolve the non-working italic/bold font issue, i.e. them being inserted in ugly Roboto instead of in the selected font (doesn't need to be custom font) in KitKat. He sent me a Beta version to test, but so far, no luck in removing the issue. Reading books in Roboto or default serif is unacceptable for me.

By the way, I hate almost all non-serif fonts and couldn't read books in them. (A non-serif font I do like is Futura or Verdana, if it has to be a non-serif font.) I use serif fonts like Volkhov and Arvo and Calluna to read books in Moon+. They are highly distinct and readable (particularly the first two, but they only work for Western European languages).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The Moon+ developer is now actively trying to resolve the non-working italic/bold font issue, i.e. them being inserted in ugly Roboto instead of in the selected font (doesn't need to be custom font) in KitKat. He sent me a Beta version to test, but so far, no luck in removing the issue. Reading books in Roboto or default serif is unacceptable for me.

By the way, I hate almost all non-serif fonts and couldn't read books in them. (A non-serif font I do like is Futura or Verdana, if it has to be a non-serif font.) I use serif fonts like Volkhov and Arvo and Calluna to read books in Moon+. They are highly distinct and readable (particularly the first two, but they only work for Western European languages).
This is great news! Please keep us posted if he gets it fixed. If Mantano can do it I'm sure there is a way for him to get it working.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #129
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a second beta released today, the italic passages already appear in the selected font, but the space following that italic word/passage is currently missing, merging two words into one. I'm sure this will be resolved sooner or later!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #130
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Does anyone else ever have a problem with Moon + flickering on the daytime themes, but not the nighttime themes? I never noticed the problem til this week, but now it's bugging me whenever I try to read during the day.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #131
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
Does anyone else ever have a problem with Moon + flickering on the daytime themes, but not the nighttime themes? I never noticed the problem til this week, but now it's bugging me whenever I try to read during the day.
Nope what do you mean by flickering? My HDX before it failed when using the Kindle sepia theme the background started changing shades it was very subtle at first but with each restart was more noticeable. Amazon let me know later the brightness controller has failed. The odd thing is it only did it in the Kindle reader part at first. So I would keep an eye on it if I was you.

I know the Nexus isn't a Kindle Fire but both have auto brightness thingy on them.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #132
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Nope what do you mean by flickering? My HDX before it failed when using the Kindle sepia theme the background started changing shades it was very subtle at first but with each restart was more noticeable. Amazon let me know later the brightness controller has failed. The odd thing is it only did it in the Kindle reader part at first. So I would keep an eye on it if I was you.

I know the Nexus isn't a Kindle Fire but both have auto brightness thingy on them.
It just flickers. A split second dimming then brightening back to normal. distracting when I'm reading, and it only does it on moon+ daytime themes, I've never noticed it on the black theme. I generally use day 4 or night 3. I guess I'' just use the night theme all the time, and turn away from the lamp that glares on it.

I'm going to try to get the new nexus early next year (if I can't talk someone into getting me one for Christmas), hopefully before anything fails fully.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #133
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
It just flickers. A split second dimming then brightening back to normal. distracting when I'm reading, and it only does it on moon+ daytime themes, I've never noticed it on the black theme. I generally use day 4 or night 3. I guess I'' just use the night theme all the time, and turn away from the lamp that glares on it.
This is a Nexus 7 (2012) issue and has nothing to do with Moon+. Some Nexus 7s had more of a problem then others. I think you can minimize or eliminate this by setting the brightness manually. On my previous Nexus 7 in Moon+ I assigned the brightness to the volume keys.

The Nexus 7 (2013) has a much better brightness range and algorithm and I leave it on automatic all of the time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #134
diremommy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is a Nexus 7 (2012) issue and has nothing to do with Moon+. Some Nexus 7s had more of a problem then others. I think you can minimize or eliminate this by setting the brightness manually. On my previous Nexus 7 in Moon+ I assigned the brightness to the volume keys.

The Nexus 7 (2013) has a much better brightness range and algorithm and I leave it on automatic all of the time.
I'll have to check the settings. I never had it to auto before, I always adjusted it myself, but I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not positive I fixed it back, hopefully that fixes the problem for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #135
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs up

Good news: the italics/bold KitKat bug is fixed in the most recent Moon+ Beta version. Looking forward to the regular release!