Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
eBusinessTutor - you said:

Can it read .cbr and .jpg files from a SD card? The description on Android Market mainly says it ties into purchasing comics so this feature is not clear. I've got some old .cbr files floating around and some comics as a series of .jpg files.

Ideally - I could zip up all the individual .jpg files into a zip file and the reader would open it up and display the pages in file-name order.

"Droid Comic Viewer" specifically calls out that it can take .cbr and .zip, .rar and .jpg files. Is this just not in the description for Comixology?
I have both.

ComiXology reads the comics they sell you, ACV reads the ones you already have. However, I recommend CBZ rather than CBR (it's easy enough to convert) as Android doesn't support .rar compression very well.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #17
ryublu
ryublu began at the beginning.

Device: Yarvik 310
Lemurion, what does it take to convert CBR to CBZ? I think I might have a few of those, not a lot but still, perhaps I ought to go over those before I save it all over to my microSD card.
ryublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I use a command line tool called zipconv, which is a windows batch file. It does require 7Zip so do install that before using it. (You probably should have 7Zip installed anyway - it's very good.)

I just put the batch file in the same directory as the comics, open up a command window and enter the following commands (without quotes).

"ren *.cbr *.rar" [enter] - this renames all the CBRs to RAR files.
"zipconv *.rar* [enter] - this converts all the RAR files to ZIP files.
*ren *.zip *.cbz" [enter] - this converts all the ZIP files to CBZ.

It's all basic Windows command line stuff - it works because CBR and CBZ are just standard archives with the extension changed to make them easier for comic reader programs to recognize.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #19
ryublu

Thanks for the help with the CBR to CBZ, Lemurion. It turned out I had even less CBR-files than I originally thought, so it didn't take long at all to rectify.

My tablet is now up and running, with several (but not yet all - I'm getting there though) of the apps you have all so kindly recommended me. One more thing I could use some advice on though is a dedicated app for reading DOCS/Word files.
CoolReader can handle DOCs, and hopefully future versions will have fixed the two things in displaying DOCs that it currently does not do well and that would keep me from wanting to use it to read my DOC files (a problem with smashed words and inability to render blankspace), but until then perhaps something actually meant to handle DOCs would be a good idea. Problem is, I have a hard time finding something that is free and could do this. Any ideas on what I ought to look for?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #20
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi
a newbie also on tablets here and i'm enjoying the different app you guys are recommending.
metal1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
(whew - back from family reunion)

I am glad you both are having fun with our recommendations.

Just keep in mind - what I like may not match what you guys want to do so dont be afraid to D/L some other version of a browser, app killer, file-manager, etc. You may discover you prefer something different.

It is also strongly recommended that when the newness wears off and you have picked your 10-20 favorite apps that you use a backup utility to backup your apps. Use a small SD card for the backups and put it away in case you have to restore your pad to factory settings.

One app that I have not tried is called "Launcher Pro". It gives you a lot more control over the sizes of icons and widgets, you can 'hide' useless apps in your app drawer, etc.

Below is a FAQ about Launcher Pro.

http://androidforums.com/android-app...erpro-faq.html
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #22
ryublu

Back again after not having had internet access for a while, and with a few questions.
Well, as it turns out the Yarvik isn't able to access Android Market... most unfortunate. Then it turns out that the few other places I've found don't really host the things I try to download, but rather links me right back to Android Market - from which I cannot download. Any suggestions on a site where I will actually be able to download my free apps?

I'm looking for FiM Soundboard in particular, and a free Office/Word reader with the option to turn pages instead of scrolling, but also just a good site for apps in general.

Edit: Have FiM Soundboard now, as well as Skip Bo, thankfully. Could really still need the Word/DOC reader if anyone has a suggestion.
Anyway, here's links to the other two if anyone wanted them:
Skip Bo:
http://androidappsapk.org/skip-bo-game-android-apk/
FiM Soundboard:
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...72122356294209

Last edited by ryublu; 09-08-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryublu View Post
Back again after not having had internet access for a while, and with a few questions.
Well, as it turns out the Yarvik isn't able to access Android Market... most unfortunate. Then it turns out that the few other places I've found don't really host the things I try to download, but rather links me right back to Android Market - from which I cannot download. Any suggestions on a site where I will actually be able to download my free apps?
I'm looking for FiM Soundboard in particular, and a free Office/Word reader with the option to turn pages instead of scrolling, but also just a good site for apps in general.
Check our wiki under Android. All the sources for apps that I have been able to find are listed there.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #24
ryublu

Thank you DaleDe, I've certainly checked them out. Unfortunately I've found that for most of the sites that don't send you packing right back to Android Market, well, they don't have Yarvik (any model) on their lists and will not allow me to add it, so I end up with error messages and the like. I've found one or two places that work, but they don't exactly have what I'm looking for, so I get to keep looking.
Ahh, nothing to do about that I suppose, with a brand like Yarvik. ^^;

Another question, are there any apps that will clear the cache (not sure how that works, actually, but hopefully someone does) or caches as it might be? The Yarvik tablet apparently have a problem with that, and from what I hear this is the reason I keep getting various error messages while reading (they do absolutely nothing, so it isn't that bad, but it would be nice not to have to push "OK" every so often while reading a good book or comic). Does anyone even get what I'm talking about? (I don't, sadly.)