Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I Am Keeping My Paperwhite Replacement

I have now received my second Paperwhite replacement for a total of three Paperwhites delivered. I am keeping the first replacement (second Paperwhite... I know it's bit confusing )

Paperwhite #1 had diagonal stripes of greenish blue or bluish green were very distracting when reading. More noticeable the brighter the light. It had to go back.

Paperwhite #2 is mostly bluish green with an amoeba like blob of pinkish beige just off center on the screen. It was better for reading than PW #1, but I opted to ask for another replacement hoping that the third time would be the charm.

Paperwhite #3 is similar to #1 but not as intense. It's as though the diagonal stripes are softer and less defined than those on PW #1.

I am keeping PW #2 as it is the least distracting of the 3. I'm not sure that for me I will ever find the "perfect" PW screen in this first generation. I can accept that because the PW is still pretty darn cool.

I still feel the the lighting on the PW is preferable to using a book light with my other Kindles because I don't have to adjust the light every time I change reading positions and there is no super-bright hot spot visible if I don't hold the Kindle just right (on the Kindle or in my eyes). I don't have a problem with the LED shadows at the bottom of the screen.

I have a whole bunch of Kindles as you can see under my avatar. I think the PW along with the DXG will be my most used Kindles. I still love the DXG for long reading sessions with fewer page turns.

My current perfect Kindle wish would combine page turn buttons on both sides, touch, audio (to take advantage of the new Whispersync for audio) and even better lighting. It's early but I'm looking forward the Paperwhite 2.0.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm glad you found one that works well enough to keep you happy.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm glad you found one to keep. I'm in the same boat as you, daffy. My replacement isn't perfect, but it's good enough. I figure I have 30 days to read with it and see how it goes. So far, so good, I'm pretty happy with it for night reading. In the day it looks fine to me. Still, like you, I look forward to the Paperwhite 2.0.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am curious about something. I have my 2nd replacement coming tomorrow. In the case it is also worse then the 1st replacement, I will do the same and keep #1. But can I use the return label they emailed me in this case? Will it matter if I am returning replacment #2 instead of #1?

I'd rather not have to contact them again as I have phone "issues". And chat didn't work out so well when I tried it for the 2nd replacement.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just sending mine in without contacting Amazon again. I figure as long as I send one back in good working order, they won't care which one it is. That's why they give us the 30 day window to decide and return.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Atunah, you could do as daffy is doing and it would likely be ok.

However, if it was me, I'd call just to avoid any potential confusion as each mailing label is specific to the order. It says this on Amazon's website:

Each return mailing label is uniquely assigned to a specific return. In order to ensure that you receive the correct refund, please do not include items from other orders or other shipments in the same box. Every shipment must be returned using a separate mailing label.

In any case, I hope your replacement works out better for you.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am curious about something. I have my 2nd replacement coming tomorrow. In the case it is also worse then the 1st replacement, I will do the same and keep #1. But can I use the return label they emailed me in this case? Will it matter if I am returning replacment #2 instead of #1?

I'd rather not have to contact them again as I have phone "issues". And chat didn't work out so well when I tried it for the 2nd replacement.
Uh, I went ahead and did this. Hopefully it won't mess anything up. I didn't want to have to juggle 4 Kindles. And so far, out of the 3 I had, the original was the best. So I didn't want to send it back, and sent a replacement back in its place. Surely they'll figure it out. But since you haven't done so yet you may want to try the chat to ask them. Honestly, I assume the rep will just get really confused about what you are asking them

I should also note that my first two replacement e-mails didn't say "I've created an authorized return label that may only be used for the return of this kindle." like my third. If yours has this line, I'd definitely tell them your plans just to make sure nothing bad happens.

Anyway, fingers crossed for #4, which should show up on Wednesday. Good luck with yours. I hope it's satisfactory!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

Each return mailing label is uniquely assigned to a specific return. In order to ensure that you receive the correct refund, please do not include items from other orders or other shipments in the same box. Every shipment must be returned using a separate mailing label.
I obviously didn't pay attention to that part. I haven't sent anything yet, so I can still contact Amazon.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Honestly, I assume the rep will just get really confused about what you are asking them
Yeah, I feel like this every time I call or chat. I don't do well at all on the phone, but chat wasn't better. My last call for this replacement, after I explained and explained about the problem, he told me to take the back off the Kindle. He wasn't kidding. I tried telling him I can't take the back off until he realized he was looking at my K1 in the account. . I mean I was talking about light issues.

I don't see anything on the email about using it only for this kindle. It looks pretty much the same than the first one I got. But I don't want it to not get credited and I get charged for another kindle. This is of course just in case the latest replacement is worst than the 1st.
Of course I am all worn out now with this PW issue and worry already.

Hopefully it will be good tomorrow. Thanks for the best wishes on it. Maybe it'll give good vibes to it.

I just want to relax, set up my collections, put it in the cover and read. I can't comfortable do any of this until I have a PW that is "mine". You know what I mean.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I sent three back and tried really hard to keep them apart, but not sure I had the right mailing label in the right box.
Today I got an email from them letting me kniw that they received them, and then another email telling me that they refunded me the money. *scratch head* I called them to let them know not to refund me, as I received another replacement today, which means I now have three and need to send one back, and not sure if I should try another replacement from my all pink screen one. The one I receved today is colored, but mostly at least green, with one pink spot right in the center of the top. I may keep that one

I, as well, am looking forward to my Paperwhite 2, with a flexible color eink screen....

Last edited by xendula; 10-15-2012 at 11:14 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I just want to relax, set up my collections, put it in the cover and read. I can't comfortable do any of this until I have a PW that is "mine". You know what I mean.
I feel the same way. I am iffy about using any of them other than for testing because I don't feel they are mine quite yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
BurntOrange98
BurntOrange98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Question

I just got a Kindle PW that I was very excited about, but it had the dreaded discoloration. There is one diagonal green strip down the center and a little pink to both sides. I don't know if I should replace it and hope for the best or just keep it and deal with it. What should I do?????
BurntOrange98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
BurntOrange98
BurntOrange98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Other than this I really like the Kindle though.
BurntOrange98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntOrange98 View Post
Other than this I really like the Kindle though.
I'd ask for a replacement.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I left my Paperwhite review on Amazon tonight. I got a comment stating that some folks are getting their PWs checked by an engineer before shipping. I find this very interesting and will give it another replacement go in about a week.