Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2024, 12:14 PM   #1
dkinor
dkinor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe 1st Gen
Kindle Scribe - 5.16.2.0.1 - Jailbroken - Working mods?

It's been a long time (5 years+?) since I have had a jailbroken kindle (Kindle Voyage was last one), and a lot has changed.

I just recently purchased a Kindle Scribe, and was able to jailbreak it using Marzek's jailbreak and mergen3017's instructions (found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=484) (thank you both for your great work!).

I have installed (and confirmed working) the following tweaks:
KUAL, KUAL Plus, KUAL Helper+ (do the "FORCE Grayed UYK", "PREVENT OTA Updates" and "PREVENT ScreenSaver" buttons actually work with this tweak?), Coversetter (great book cover for the KUAL app), and BinaryRenamer.

I tried installing KOReader (March 2024 version found on GitHub), and could not get it to open/work.

So, I thought I would start this thread to ask the community whether any or all of the following tweaks (used with my past Kindle Voyage jailbreak) are working and needed/desired on a Kindle Scribe (and, if working and needed/desired, detailed instructions for how to install them on my Kindle Scribe):

1. KOReader (which version currently works with 5.16.2?);
2. USB Network Hack (what use(s) is this now other than to SSH into device?);
3. ScreenSaver Hack (pretty sure this is no longer working, but how, if at all, do I get pictures of loved ones (aka my daughters) and/or book covers as my kindle screen saver now? and, if it is working, has it been updated to use Python 3, or is the latest version still on Python 2?);
4. Fonts Hack (I have little use for this one, but putting it up here for completeness);
5. Python 2.7 & Python 3.9 (what use(s) do these provide now?); and
6. GNU Awk Installer (given the age of the snapshot (Jan 2023), does this still even work on a Kindle Scribe running 5.16.2?).

Thanks in advance for any assistance with the above.
dkinor is offline   Reply With Quote