Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon Publishing sales numbers revealed

It seems the recent chortling rumors about Amazon cutting back on their first party ventures had one effect: the new boss sat down with the mouthpiece of the enemy camp to discuss sales numbers.
In brief: the "high-minded" boycott by B&N and the indie bookstores has simply shifted sales to Amazon:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...nd-mortar.html

So much for the "bookstores are essential for discoverability" meme.

Quote:
An Amazon Publishing spokesperson said that across all of its imprints, over 10% of the company’s frontlist titles, in a variety of categories and genres, have sold more than 100,000 copies each, and that many have sales over 200,000 copies each, including The Long Way Home by Karen McQuestion, When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde, The Detachment by Barry Eisler, and The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna.
Quote:

Durham said Amazon remains committed to publishing, and that anyone who suggests the company is scaling back is incorrect. “We’re a global company with thriving publishing offices in Seattle, New York, Grand Haven [Michigan, home of Brilliance Audio], London, and Munich,” Durham said. She noted that across all 14 Amazon publishing imprints, the company plans to release about 700 frontlist books in 2014.
They may not be in Randy Penguin territory but they are definitely one of the bigger (semi-)traditional publishing houses out there. And that is without factoring KDP Select sales volume. Add all the indie content sales and there is a lot of books selling without "bookstore discoverability" or showrooming.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good for them.

and I've never really thought physical bookstores are necessary for discoverablity. I find Amazon's on-line search and samples (in conjunction with other on-line information - wikipedia, book sites, etc) much superior for my 'finding something to read' needs.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
So even indie books are selling more than popular music now?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
So even indie books are selling more than popular music now?
Yes.
But those aren't the indies--those are Amazon's in-house Imprints that Amazon publishes as well as distributes.

In gaming terms, they're First and Second Party titles, not third party.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-11-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Many of those Amazon published titles have been available for $1.99 or less. This I'm sure boosted sales. Several were a $1.00 during a recent promotion. I don't know what royalties Amazon pays in this case. Is it on the sale price or full retail in which case Amazon throws money into the pot and pays you to buy the book.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Many of those Amazon published titles have been available for $1.99 or less. This I'm sure boosted sales. Several were a $1.00 during a recent promotion. I don't know what royalties Amazon pays in this case. Is it on the sale price or full retail in which case Amazon throws money into the pot and pays you to buy the book.
It is my understanding that Amazon pays full royalties when they are doing a promotion.
It gets reduced when it is the publisher or competitor dropping the price.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Well, there you go!

You know, I always believed that the ability to browse books at a physical retail store was vastly superior to anything else available. But as the years have gone on (dwindled?!) I have reversed that position. The online stores have gotten significantly better at doing what they do and I now find that I discover the most interesting books online rather than at a B&N.

Go figure.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I take exception to some of this theme.

I still think a "well sorted" physical bookstore is superior to anything on line for browsing.

... but not for searching!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
And to carry it further lets be honest and state it up front Amazon has the online browsing and new book discovery down. While I really do want to support the other stores I find there store fonts suck compaired to Amazon. I found myself going to Amazon to browse then going to B&N to actually buy what I wanted. My attitude has changed if B&N can't give me what I want the heck with them so now I browse and buy on Amazon.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
And to carry it further lets be honest and state it up front Amazon has the online browsing and new book discovery down. While I really do want to support the other stores I find there store fonts suck compaired to Amazon. I found myself going to Amazon to browse then going to B&N to actually buy what I wanted. My attitude has changed if B&N can't give me what I want the heck with them so now I browse and buy on Amazon.
... well, so there!

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I frequently do that as well, but with an added twist: when I'm at the bookstore, I usually end up also firing an Amazon app that can scan book ISBNs to provide reviews and recommendations.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
donpapachino
donpapachino began at the beginning.

Device: none
i believe in a win-win solution for both offline and online bookstore, it should co-exist together.
donpapachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
And to carry it further lets be honest and state it up front Amazon has the online browsing and new book discovery down. While I really do want to support the other stores I find there store fonts suck compaired to Amazon.
I agree. Amazon appears to know what they are doing here. Whenever I browse for books on BN.com... I just feel dirty.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote