Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Creating Word Docs for Reader

As a writer, I write all of my documents in word. I use the TOC formatting that word has built in to format chapter headings and creating table of contents. However how do I do this so it is recognised by the Sony Reader?
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
You should check out BookCreator.dot - a Word template which you can use to format documents and then run through Calibre to produce LRF or ePub formats for your Sony.

Look in the Format Conversion sub-forum.

Last edited by dynabook; 10-28-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Wrong forum reference.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, mjhudston!

There are a couple of alternatives, but they'll require converting to a format other than Word -- the Reader just won't support them in that format.

The first, and probably simplest is to convert to a PDF. If you do that, I strongly suggest that you make the PDF file's "virtual page" the same size as the Reader's display. You can find details on that here.

The other option is to go with Sony's BBeB (.LRF) format. You can use Book Designer for that, but sounds like it would probably be worth your while to look at Calibre. It requires installing Python, but the greater flexibility and the suite of tools that come with it are likely to be useful to you. There is an entire forum section devoted to discussing it, so you can find lots of advice and suggestions to help you along.

I hope that helps get you started.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
No there is no way. But there are simple work around.

The PRS-505 does not directly support Word documents behind the Sony Library software they are converting the Word document to RTF. Sonys PRS-505 RTF support is very limited to reading text only. (No tables, No links, No Images, etc...)

The workaround is to turn your Word document into LRF/ePUB. There are two tools that can easily turn your word document into a LRF/ePUB format.
Both solutions however require Calibre (see link)

One is BookCreator ( download link) this tool can create an LRF or ePUB and store it directly to your PRS-505 if it is connected.
Simply import the word document and depress the menu option "LRF..." to create the LRF. Enable the "Store eBook To the Sony PRS-505" to also copy it to the PRS-505

The second tool is WordRMR (see link).

The latter method will create a LIT file.
1) Import it to calibre
2) Convert it to LRF
3) Copy it to your PRS-505

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-28-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Fixed grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Natch

The calibre installation (on windows and OSX) is completely self contained, you dont have to install anything else to get it to run.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone, I will give those a go.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
mjhudston
All round good egg

OK Im still bashing my head against the wall with this one. I cant seem to get bookdesigner to recognise my word documents at all. I am using word 2007, but I am saving them in 97-2003 format.

Calibre again does not support word documents.

The wordRMR plugin also does not work for Word 2007.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have you tried saving in RTF and then importing to Calibre?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
mjhudston
All round good egg

Calibre recognised the RTF File, but I am left with the initial issue I had, and that the TOC is not then recogniosed by the reader.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
Doctorak
Doctorak began at the beginning.

Device: Reader PRS-505
Word can generate messy html and rtf code.

Until a few hours ago I too was having having troubles with TOCs edited in Word. When the document was converted in HTML, the LRF file would give me "link", "link", "link" as items in the TOC; when it was saved in the RTF format, all TOC elements would lead me to page 1.
Turns out the html code in Word is really messy (especially in Word 2000) and mostly useless, all I had to do was to find an app that would clean the code (the one I found is called Html Filter 2.0). Since then, I import html docs in Calibre and it works.

At last! It took me 12 hours to figure it out!
Doctorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Book Designer Does not Support Word 2007 documents(Docx) just open it up in word save as an word 97-2003 Document (Doc) and then run it through Book Designer.

Edit your text, Check to make sure your TOC is in order then Add in to top of page, should do trick, i have edited some of the worst Text documents(some take hours) and have found Book Designer too be the best.

Calibre is ok for a Straight conversion but if you want to edit your text in any way put it through Book Designer.

Andy

Last edited by andyafro; 11-18-2008 at 06:05 AM.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
mjhudston
All round good egg

Having spent most of yesterday and today (I was supposed to be having a few days off resting), I finally have the book creator template working for word 2007 DOCX Files, supporting the TOC's and able to export direct to LRF for my reader.

Finally have a solution thats working for me. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mike
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
As a writer, I write all of my documents in word. I use the TOC formatting that word has built in to format chapter headings and creating table of contents. However how do I do this so it is recognised by the Sony Reader?
Print them as a PDF. It will keep your fonts, tables, images... and full editing. Check the link to mi"Libro" in my signature. It is in Spanish but it will show you the result well enough. I always use this procedure with all the books I have in my Reader. Just PDFs.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
mjhudston
All round good egg

I dont suppose anyone has thought of a Openoffice version of book creator, for use either in Windoze or Linux?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I’m very pleased you have resolved your problem already.

Still, you can do it even faster, just create your word documents at will, then when they are complete, besides saving it in normal word format, save it in html format from word, choosing preferring as “web page filtered”.
In Calibre create a prf file from that html file and all your TOC will be created accessible on the Sony.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote