Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Verne, Jules: The Adventures of a Special Correspondent. v2. 15th Feb 2010

Claudius Bombarnac, a reporter is assigned by the Twentieth Century to cover the travels of the Grand Transasiatic Railway which runs between Uzun Ada, Turkestan and Peking, China. Accompanying him on this journey is an interesting collection of characters, including one who is trying to beat the round the world record and another who is a stowaway. Claudius hopes one of them will become the hero of his piece, so his story won't be just a boring travelogue. Before the journey is over, Claudius finds his hero.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 15th Feb 2010

Recreated the book with improved formatting. Uploaded v2.

Previous download count: 374
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Adventures of a Special Correspondent.lrf (312.4 KB, 843 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 02-15-2010 at 07:25 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes Verne ... some of his best stories are virtually unknown in English-language countries ... there was a great 20-volume edition of his works in German when I was a kid which I completely devoured and can still quote from .... great yarns like the one with the Kilimanjaro cannon or the chase after the golden meteor.

I'm wondering if some of these, now that they don't need to be "in print" in order to be accessible, will become more widely known...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. Verne is best known as an SF author, and yet most of his books are not SF at all, but "travel adventures", such as this one!

I intend to post all the Verne that's available on PG, although that's certainly not all that he wrote - I would guess that fewer than half his books are currently available on PG. Perhaps many of them were never translated into English?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps many of them were never translated into English?
I'm piecing together my Verne collection from various sources, and since my French is lousy, I have to use the German and English translations.

I think you're right, roughly half of his output is available in English (albeit in translations of greatly varying quality), and good amount is available in German out-of-copyright turn-of-the-century translations.

Some titles, though, like Mistress Branican, I can only find in French. Still, who knows, maybe that'll be incentive enough for me to get back to learning French...

I assume you know about the Jules Verne Virtual Library at http://jv.gilead.org.il/works.html ?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Mistress Branican is available in Russian if you can read that
More links:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~gdevries/languages/languages.cgi
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~gdevries/maps/maps.cgi
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I loved what little Verne I could find as a kid. As I grew older my tastes drifted to other areas and I never looked back to see if there were other Verne available. Thanks Harry for opening up another new area of reading to me.

PS: love the Dr. Who robot you are using for your avatar.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Thank you.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Recreated the book with improved formatting. Uploaded v2.