Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
authorizing new 505 with existing 500 account?

I bought my prs 500 (which I still love and use every day, my favouritest gadget ever). I have used the connect store in the past (via vouchers from people on these forums), but also Fictionwise and others with Calibre.

I've just bought a 505 for my wife for Christmas (play.com are doing them for £149 so couldn't resist). My wife has no idea and I want to keep it that way until she unwraps it.

I've downloaded a few books that you guys have uploaded here (mainly Jane Austen and the Bronte's - thanks guys they look great), as the Harry Potter books aren't available yet her other favourite reads are Terry Pratchett Discworld novels.

I was planning to copy over all the Discworld books I have on my 500, but my current Connect software doesn't recognise the 505 so I can't authorise it.

It does show up as an extra drive on my PC and I can copy books over I'd previously downloaded on my account, but the 505 only shows the cover then "protected content!".

I'm probbaly still on my original version of the Connect store software 1.something-or-other. if I check for updates it does say 2.something-or-other is available, but doesn't download it (says my internet isn't working, but that is a lie as I could surf the net no bother).

So any ideas how I can authorise the 505 with my 500 account at the connect store so I can transfer over the books I've downloaded from there?

Once my wife gets the 505 she'll more than likely only be using the UK Waterstones and/or WH SMith websites for books (really wont want to have to 'faff' with converting etc).
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You can authorise up to 6 devices at the Sony Ebook library store. One of them must be a computer.
Open the Ebook library software. Go to the Ebook store and navigate to the "my account" option. Then add your wife's device to your account.

However, I see that you are in the UK. If you want to buy books from the Sony Store (formerly called connect) then you will have to claim to live in the USA. And either you will need a US credit card or get someone to buy electronic gift vouchers for you.

If your wife buys a Sony reader in the UK then it will come with a disk for the UK version of the software. Instead of the US Sony store, it goes to Waterstones. She could authorise it there, so as to buy their EPubs.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Gravitas
Muppet

thing is - the connect software that came with my PRS 500 doesn't give me the option to authorize the 505. I clcik on the manage devices button but it just tells me I have 2 PCs and 1 PRS 500 authorised. nothing about adding another device.

figure I may need to update that software
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same thing happened when I had to add my new 505 to my account. It is very hard to find the option of adding a new device. I can remember spending some time clicking on everything.
It was a few months ago and my memory is rather hazy. But I think that you need to have the new device plugged in to the computer; then it gets recognised and you have the option to add it to your account.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
figure I may need to update that software
That is probably it. Just make sure you use the US version of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Gravitas
Muppet

yep, sorted now. Got a download of the US version, upgraded my original connect software to eBook Library, logged in to the store with the 505 connected and it recognised it straight away, asked me if I wanted to authorise it.

Copied over the books I needed to

then went and picked up some mobipocket books for myself. this time I've left myself more comprehensove notes as to how to get them on my 500, the note I left myself 6 months ago meant nothing to me
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader

I'm glad that it all worked, Gravitas.