Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What are you doing for the 4th of July?
I"m staying home, bbq'ing, watching games, racing, being with family 10 22.22%
Taking the family to watch fireworks somewhere else 2 4.44%
Fireworks are legal where I live....we set our own off! 1 2.22%
Its not a holiday where I live. 27 60.00%
Its a holiday where I live, but I don't "celebrate" it. 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Fourth of July Plans?

Saturday is the 4th of July.

Here in the States, its a huge excuse for a celebration, parades, bbq's and general partying.

What are your plans for this weekend? Do you get Friday or Monday off since its on a Saturday?

Personally, I do all my food shopping a few days before, then stay home during that time. Too many drunken drivers out there.

I believe its illegal to buy fireworks in Arizona, (too many frickin' idiots setting fires, getting their hands blown off, etc) so most people either go to a community fireworks display, or watch them on tv.

So......what are you doing?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
mobileread meetup in paris saturday night !!! much rejoicing and festivity is planned. we may even have cake : it's the one-year anniversary of the first-ever meetup !

no fireworks are planned, sadly. i love fireworks. (not firecrackers, all noise, no lights. i hate those.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I get Friday off from work. I'm going to spend my three day weekend relaxing instead of working or fixing things at home. On Saturday morning I'll put up a couple of small flags on the front lawn and do a 5-mile run/walk with my neighbors. In late afternoon I may throw something on the grill for dinner for a change. And afterwards I'm sure I'll find some relevant reading material for the evening like Franklin's autobiography.

What about you Grandma? Burgers? Parades? Partyin'?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
What about you Grandma? Burgers? Parades? Partyin'?
Hebrew National hot dogs on the grill.

Fresh fruit salad (watermelon, strawberries, red and green grapes, slicd bananas, chopped apples, melons and pineapple)

chips and dips.

Maybe some crockpot meatballs.

If the weather holds, swimming, of course. Thats just to build up the appetite!

For desert? Ice Cream cake. Chocolate cake with layer of vanilla ice cream, and whipped topping.

hmmmmm.........wondering if I should make some 'chex mix'. Yep. Think so...............
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
We don't celebrate it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
DGma, I didn't vote yet because it's not multiple choice (I'm not complaining, I just haven't decided which one to pick ).

We will have a cook-out here at home with some friends of ours. I haven't planned the menu yet but I know Brats, German potato salad, and cole-slaw will be on there somewhere. I'm hoping I can convince my husband to get out the ice cream maker so we can make some home made oreo ice cream. The kids have always loved to do it but clean up can be quite a chore. We'll probably set up for croquet and play the new lawn darts game Santa brought Ryleigh for Christmas (no sharp points, the darts have a rounded end that's weighted, it's pretty neat, actually).

After we eat, we will all load into the van and head over to Great Meadows for the fireworks extravaganza. Great Meadows is a park where they hold the Gold Cup Steeple Chase race twice a year. It's a big deal here in Virginia horse country, although I've never actually been to it. The tickets are fairly expensive. The women where big fancy hats and the gentlemen are required to wear jackets so I've been told.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
DGma, I didn't vote yet because it's not multiple choice (I'm not complaining, I just haven't decided which one to pick ).

After we eat, we will all load into the van and head over to Great Meadows for the fireworks extravaganza. Great Meadows is a park where they hold the Gold Cup Steeple Chase race twice a year. It's a big deal here in Virginia horse country, although I've never actually been to it. The tickets are fairly expensive. The women where big fancy hats and the gentlemen are required to wear jackets so I've been told.
When we were in Arkansas, we lived between two huge man made lakes......dams built during the depression .

Every third, they would do fireworks off one of the bridges. The big deal was to take your boat, (we had a pontoon), get out there early, swim, eat, lounge, then wait for dark. (a port-a-potty on the boat was a must)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Norfork fireworks.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	31412  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
We don't celebrate it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Where's the option for eating too much and grinding rocks into dust? We are staying home and cooking BBQ, and spending the 3 days making cabachons and faceting gemstones. Indoors. With the air conditioner on full blast.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
We don't celebrate it.
One of the docs I work for, his wife is from UK. She belongs to a ladies club of Brits living in Bham. They always get together to celebrate "Happy Riddance Day."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When we were in Arkansas, we lived between two huge man made lakes......dams built during the depression .

Every third, they would do fireworks off one of the bridges. The big deal was to take your boat, (we had a pontoon), get out there early, swim, eat, lounge, then wait for dark. (a port-a-potty on the boat was a must)
When we lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL, they had a huge fireworks display from a barge on the ocean. All the boats, yachts, cruise ships, etc. would be decorated with light for a nighttime boat parade right before the fireworks started. It was lovely.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
well I thought I was going to some highland games, but I just did a search and the games I thought were this weekend are actually next week. I'm confused!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I'm going to a local carnival (nothing to do with independence day but very close to my house!).
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

c'mon US people, wake up!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
what's you celebrating again ?

do you have Her Majesty's permission ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote