Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
SpaceQueen 23
SpaceQueen 23 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Kindle or Nook for web browsing?

Hello,
This would be my first e-reader, and mobile device other than my plain non-cool phone.
I've been looking at getting a Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi for e-reading AND web-browsing. I was hoping to be able to check my email on MSN Hotmail, surf the web on Google and Bing and MSN. Now I'm wondering if Nook would be a better buy. Cost is a major factor, so an I-pad is out of the question. Would either the Kindle 3G,Wi-fi or Nook 3G wi-fi do what I'm hoping?

After I posted, I thought about how my husband would use the e-reader. He likes to play games to relax. Does either the Kindle or Nook have a better gaming experience?

Last edited by SpaceQueen 23; 07-14-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask
SpaceQueen 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Welcome to MobileRead, SpaceQueen.

A Nook Color would be a good bet if web browsing and apps and games are your priority. E Ink ereaders (Kindle 3s, Nook Touch, Sony Readers, ...) give a more book-like reading experience and are preferred by many for long-run reading but cannot compete with LCD-based ereaders (Nook Color, Cruz R101, PocketBook IQ 701, ...) for web browsing and apps. LCD-based ereaders are like tablets (or, arguably, are tablets) in that they're closer to being general purpose computing devices: LCD ereaders are typically based upon Android; LCD displays are color; and LCD displays are fast enough to display video. E Ink ereaders are (generally) more dedicated devices, and their displays are too slow for video or action-based games.

Last edited by hughes; 07-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Nook is Android so you can run 3rd party software incl. Opera browser with it. Also it is touch, which I imagine is a big advantage with browsing.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The only Nook with 3G is the Nook classic and I think you would have to buy one used now. The Nook Touch and Color are WiFi only.

The K3 has a 3G/WiFi option. There are two versions, the ad free which is $189 and the one with ads on the screen savers which is $139.

There are many games available for the K3 that are pretty inexpensive. I am sure there are a ton of games for the Nook Color, I have no idea about the Nook Touch.

The K3 has a browser which works ok on sites with a mobile phone option. The Nook Color has a browser but people seem to be reporting it is better to root the device and download a different browser. The Nook Touch has a browser that you have to search to find and it seems to be worse then the K3 browser.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If possible, I'd say the Nook Color.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
SpaceQueen 23
SpaceQueen 23 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
I am so happy that I found this site and so many wonderful people willing to help one another. Hughes, thanks for explaining the difference between E Ink ereaders and LCD-based readers. That was very helpful. It sound like I should go out and get myself a Nook Color. Kudos to each of you!
SpaceQueen 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceQueen 23 View Post
I am so happy that I found this site and so many wonderful people willing to help one another. Hughes, thanks for explaining the difference between E Ink ereaders and LCD-based readers. That was very helpful. It sound like I should go out and get myself a Nook Color. Kudos to each of you!
Oh, you're welcome. Happy to help. If you haven't already, you'll probably enjoy pouring over the posts in the Nook forums to learn more about the Nook Color.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceQueen 23 View Post
Hello,
This would be my first e-reader, and mobile device other than my plain non-cool phone.
I've been looking at getting a Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi for e-reading AND web-browsing. I was hoping to be able to check my email on MSN Hotmail, surf the web on Google and Bing and MSN. Now I'm wondering if Nook would be a better buy. Cost is a major factor, so an I-pad is out of the question. Would either the Kindle 3G,Wi-fi or Nook 3G wi-fi do what I'm hoping?

After I posted, I thought about how my husband would use the e-reader. He likes to play games to relax. Does either the Kindle or Nook have a better gaming experience?
Please don't take me wrong, but you should not buy an ereader for playing games or browsing Internet. If that's your main objective, you should buy a netbook or a tablet.

Having said that, the Kindle 3G allows you to check email and very basic or pure text websites. Forums are a good example. Anything beyond that, will be a painful experience.

For a better gaming experience but still able to enjoy some books, maybe a Nook Color, but that's a tablet, not an eink device. I personally prefer and like eink for long reading sessions, plus they are usually more portable and provide better battery life than Android tablets.

Last edited by jocampo; 07-22-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: fixing a typo
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Please don take me wrong, but you should not buy an ereader for playing games or browsing Internet. If that's your main objective, you should buy a netbook or a tablet.

Having said that, the Kindle 3G allows you to check email and very basic or pure text websites. Forums are a good example. Anything beyond that, will be a painful experience.

For a better gaming experience but still able to enjoy some books, maybe a Nook Color, but that's a tablet, not an eink device. I personally prefer and like eink for long reading sessions, plus they are usually more portable and provide better battery life than Android tablets.
Agreed. I bought my Kindles to read on, not surf the web and play games on. I have tried the web browser on my Kindles a couple of times, and quite frankly, it is quite painful. It is good for a quick lookup, but not for much else in my opinion.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. I bought my Kindles to read on, not surf the web and play games on. I have tried the web browser on my Kindles a couple of times, and quite frankly, it is quite painful. It is good for a quick lookup, but not for much else in my opinion.
Right.

It's good to have it and to know that is there, especially if yours is 3G. But the browsing capabilities are very limited.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote