Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Mine has sunlight problems too

Well after a good sized dump of snow in the last few days the sun finally peaked out again today. So I figure time to test my new boox's page change in the sun. It failed miserably.

Does anyone have a newer unit with reset hole that isn't a vampire version? I hope I can exchange it since I love reading outside on the deck.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
There are newer- reset hole in the cover- units out there without the problem. If the software fix Onyx is working on doesnt work out you will of course be able to exchange it with a new device.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I also took mine (brand new, and with the reset hole) out for a turn in the sun today, to discover that it was one of the bad ones. I've contacted my supplier, but so far there's been no reply from them. I will say I'm not very impressed; they've know about this for a while now, and ought not to be sending out untested units.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Get a flip-top cover like mine and simply shade the screen with the top flap whilst using the device single-handed. No problem. I'm on the French Riviera (not lacking in heavy sunshine) with a Sony 505 that has the tyext-fading hitch (not all dom, it seems) ... never a problem since I got the flip-top. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
There are newer- reset hole in the cover- units out there without the problem. If the software fix Onyx is working on doesnt work out you will of course be able to exchange it with a new device.
That's good to know. I have my doubts whether a firmware update will be able to fix this, but I would be very very happy if it did. I've really come to love this new toy and would miss it quite a bit if I had to exchange it.

Do you know when this firmware will be released?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A firmware upgrade will not fix the fading in direct sunlight. It's a problem with a bad screen and the only way to fix it is to replace the unit with one that does not have a bad screen. Vizplex is not supposed to fade in direct sunlight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist

I guess we'll find out soon Jon.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
After Nightfall
After Nightfall began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
My Neo, which I received last Friday, has the reset hole and no problems with sunlight, so it seems they do exist. In half an hour of reading in direct sunlight the problems would have appeared had there been any, right?

Hope yours gets sorted out, frozennorth.
After Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
frozennorth
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by After Nightfall View Post
My Neo, which I received last Friday, has the reset hole and no problems with sunlight, so it seems they do exist. In half an hour of reading in direct sunlight the problems would have appeared had there been any, right?

Hope yours gets sorted out, frozennorth.
It happened with mine the first time I changed the page in sunlight so it doesn't matter how long it's exposed. Also temperature wouldn't have had an effect on mine either since it wasn't very warm out. I had to shade the screen before every page turn to get it to display properly.

Is your sd card easy to insert and remove? Mine isn't. I have to use a fingernail to push it in and the same with removal. I heard the ones with easy to remove sd cards are from the 3rd batch and less likely to have the sunlight problem. The first batch without reset hole and rougher back also don't seem to have many units with sun problems. I guess mine is from the second batch.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I first tried mine in broad sunlight yesterday. I switched it on, and it was immediately difficult to read the list of folders. When I opened a book, it was at first faded, and then virtually disappeared.

I took it back inside and switched it on again. It worked. I then took it outside into the sun, and after about 10 seconds the page had faded into illegibility.

I informed my supplier today. I have just received a message from *their* supplier in the Netherlands, asking me to send a photo. Given that they already know about this problem, I find that a bit much. (What's more, their message has been sent in highly colourful html, and is actually unreadable as it arrives in my gmail in-box, showing a blank screen which reminds me of their product).
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
After Nightfall
After Nightfall began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Is your sd card easy to insert and remove? Mine isn't. I have to use a fingernail to push it in and the same with removal. I heard the ones with easy to remove sd cards are from the 3rd batch and less likely to have the sunlight problem. The first batch without reset hole and rougher back also don't seem to have many units with sun problems. I guess mine is from the second batch.
I guess mine must be the third batch then. Inserting and removing the SD card is very easy to do without fingernail abuse. I did order it just after that time when mybebook.com started shipping again after only accepting preorders for some time. I remember reading some speculation that this was due to their putting their foot down about vampire screens.
After Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
frozennorth
Evangelist

Lucky You.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for the firmware update. But more than likely I'll end up having to exchange it.