Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
sdm
sdm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
[NC] Putting Newspapers and Magazines on Calibre

My husband put some things like the Washington Post from Calibre to my Nook Color by going to Fetch News but it shows up under Books not News. How do I make News and Magazines show up on the NC where they are supposed to?
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should ask in the nook forum, but my guess is that if you can put the files in the news folder on the NC it will show up under news.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I have been manually moving it after Calibre copies it over. Your drive letter might be different but on my laptop, Calibre puts it here, g:\My Files\Books\News\ and then I cut & paste the files to g:\My Files\Newspapers or g:\My Files\Magazines depending on what they are.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
magnumt
Literary Maestro
magnumt began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry, Nook Color
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should ask in the nook forum, but my guess is that if you can put the files in the news folder on the NC it will show up under news.
What's the best order to this, and have Calibre see it the next time you launch (and mainly not have the Database get corrupted or have broken links).

For example, would this work:

1. Download the Scheduled Feeds within Calibre, let it autoconvert to EPUB and Send to Device.
2. Shutdown Calibre.
3. Using Windows: Move Folders from within the Nook Color's 'My Downloads-->My Books-->News' Folder, to 'My Downloads-->News'
4. Relaunch Calibre.

Would the News still show in Calibre (possibly now under the News Section) as being on Device?

Also, will I have anything break from within Calibre's Database itself from doing so?

Thanks in advance!
magnumt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumt View Post
1. Download the Scheduled Feeds within Calibre, let it autoconvert to EPUB and Send to Device.
2. Shutdown Calibre.
3. Using Windows: Move Folders from within the Nook Color's 'My Downloads-->My Books-->News' Folder, to 'My Downloads-->News'
4. Relaunch Calibre.

Would the News still show in Calibre (possibly now under the News Section) as being on Device?
Dunno. Put a book there and see if Calibre finds it.

Quote:
Also, will I have anything break from within Calibre's Database itself from doing so?
Since you're not monkeying around inside Calibre's database folder, the database will retain consistency. From my experience, Calibre doesn't care if files on the device get moved/deleted/created by third-party means.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Dunno. Put a book there and see if Calibre finds it.

Since you're not monkeying around inside Calibre's database folder, the database will retain consistency. From my experience, Calibre doesn't care if files on the device get moved/deleted/created by third-party means.
So I can safely move the files from 'My Downloads-->My Books-->News' Folder, to 'My Downloads-->News' and when I launch Calibre the next time it will still say that's it is 'On Device'?

I ask now, instead of acting on the above...because I don't want to launch Calibre and have it messed up as a result with broken locations.

Thanks.

--Mags
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know if it will show the files as being on device, or, to be more precise, I don't know if Calibre will detect the files. That depends on how the Nook driver is implemented, or again to be more precise, what folders on the device it watches. What I can confidently say, though, is that moving files on the device will not break the Calibre database in any way.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Thanks all for the great replies. I left my latest thoughts on this here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post1374223

--Mags
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Thanks Kovid for the quick response. I replied in the Thread linked above.

--Mags
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Got an error on Exporting with the new .py file (left the details in the link above).

Thanks,
--Mags
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Posted the Full Logs.

Thanks again for all of your help here.

--Mags
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
magnumt
Literary Maestro

Thanks again my man for all of your help last night. I replied in the other Thread with an update on testing the new NC Driver.

--Mags