Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #1216
greeniron
greeniron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Smile Thanks for the series function!

I just wanted to say thank you for the capability to download series. I've been using it extensively with great results so far both downloading and updating. (So far I've tried AO3, fanfiction.net, and wraithbait.) It even handled the massive 52 story epic I'd pretty much given up on downloading. Even on sites without series like fanfiction.net, being able to select the author page and delete irrelevant urls is a huge improvement.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1217
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Glad you like it.

Just remember not to hit 'update' on those very often--you can generate a lot of traffic against the original site.
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #1218
jstabe
Enthusiast
jstabe began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Update calibre metadata from website

I just recently discovered this plugin and I have a question. Anytime I try to add or update a book I get a message saying none of the URLs can be/need to be downloaded. So my question is what, exactly, do you mean when you say the plugin can update calibre metadata from website? Maybe I'm expecting the plugin to do something it just wasn't designed to do.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #1219
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... I mean that FFDL can set and update the calibre metadata for stories from the websites they came from?

FFDL has several 'Update' modes. In 'Update EPUB if New Chapters' and 'Overwrite if Newer' modes, FFDL will not update the calibre metadata unless there are new chapters, or the story on site shows a newer date, respectively.

The default (and most useful, IMO) is 'Update EPUB if New Chapters'. If there are new chapters available, it will download only the new chapters, add them to the existing chapters, and then update calibre's metadata. (I recommend all users download to epub for that reason and convert if needed.)

If you just want to update your calibre metadata for a story, there's the 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' mode. Generally, unless there's new content for the story, the metadata hasn't changed either. So I really only consider that useful occasionally--like if you're adding new columns to your library.

<soupbox>
I would point out that I discourage using FFDL to check for story updates. I 'workflow' I use--and suggest FFDL users use--is to subscribe/follow/favorite/alert/whatever your stories on the various websites and only update them in calibre when you receive email notices that they've been updated. We've seen cases where sites will block you if you hit them too often too quickly.
</soupbox>
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #1220
jstabe
Enthusiast
jstabe began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
... I mean that FFDL can set and update the calibre metadata for stories from the websites they came from?

FFDL has several 'Update' modes. In 'Update EPUB if New Chapters' and 'Overwrite if Newer' modes, FFDL will not update the calibre metadata unless there are new chapters, or the story on site shows a newer date, respectively.

The default (and most useful, IMO) is 'Update EPUB if New Chapters'. If there are new chapters available, it will download only the new chapters, add them to the existing chapters, and then update calibre's metadata. (I recommend all users download to epub for that reason and convert if needed.)

If you just want to update your calibre metadata for a story, there's the 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' mode. Generally, unless there's new content for the story, the metadata hasn't changed either. So I really only consider that useful occasionally--like if you're adding new columns to your library.

<soupbox>
I would point out that I discourage using FFDL to check for story updates. I 'workflow' I use--and suggest FFDL users use--is to subscribe/follow/favorite/alert/whatever your stories on the various websites and only update them in calibre when you receive email notices that they've been updated. We've seen cases where sites will block you if you hit them too often too quickly.
</soupbox>
Ah, okay. I guess when I see metadata I think of the things it pulls over from books, like the description or tags. I do like the update chapters feature. Very handy!
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #1221
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.7.12 - 04 Mar 2013
  • Use existing anthology title on update, even when a series.
  • Add anthology=true metadata for anthology covers, etc.
  • Page scrape story descriptions again for fimfiction.net due to API issues.
  • Fix login failure for tth.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #1222
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Jimm,

I keep finding seriously messed up TTH stories, that I downloaded around 2 years ago. The chapters are in the wrong order. Was this problem ever reported and solved? Is there a way to tell which stories might be affected?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1223
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Firedancer885 - I have no recollection of FFDL ever having such a problem.

If you post a couple example books it might help.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #1224
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
@Firedancer885 - I have no recollection of FFDL ever having such a problem.

If you post a couple example books it might help.
Ok, if I remember right, it only affected TTH for some odd reason. I put Xander's New House into Calibre on the 6th of Dec 2010, and Jedi Harris on 17th of January 2011. Emerald Spark was 24th of Dec 2010. As far as I can tell, only the 10+ chapter stories were affected. I updated Xander's New House after I originally downloaded the then incomplete story.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Xander's_New_House_-_DeepBlueJoy.epub (326.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: epub Jedi_Harris_-_Scribbler.epub (582.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: epub Emerald_Spark_-_Cyclone.epub (144.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1225
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

As far as I can tell, TTH sorted ch10 directly after ch1 and chapter 20, 21 etc. directly after ch2. Some of the stories are also missing ch1, but have the text of the last chapter twice.
And all the stories I downloaded after 1st of August 2012, are all right thou.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1226
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
As far as I can tell, TTH sorted ch10 directly after ch1 and chapter 20, 21 etc. directly after ch2. Some of the stories are also missing ch1, but have the text of the last chapter twice.
And all the stories I downloaded after 1st of August 2012, are all right thou.
Whoops, sorry that wanted to be FFDL.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1227
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Firedancer885,

These epubs were originally downloaded directly from TTH. You can tell because a) they have the "Downloaded From: http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-XXXX" line at the beginning of the first chapter and b) FFDL didn't even support TTH until 2011-12-14. Which is after the last update date for all of them as well. So I don't think FFDL has ever downloaded chapters for these epubs.

Looking back through the change history, I'm not finding anything in FFDL to explain this. I can't categorically state FFDL didn't rearrange the chapters, but I'm not finding any evidence that might have, either.

Regardless, it doesn't do it now.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to identify books with this problem. And the only solution I see is to update with 'Overwrite Always' or download the epub from TTH again.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #1228
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to identify books with this problem. And the only solution I see is to update with 'Overwrite Always' or download the epub from TTH again.
Thank you I had made some massive changes to my library, so I didn't realize the original epubs were directly from TTH and not FFDL downloads. Only one choice, "Overwrite always".
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #1229
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
I was doing some housecleaning of my fanfic archives today and realized that I read a crapton of this stuff, and that I love categorizing things. So I was pondering ways of further categorizing a crapton of stuff and an idea occurred to me that may be a useful and easy-to-do feature request.

The site I get most of my highbrow literature from is, of course, FiMFiction (fanfic is magic!). That site's got a "groups" feature that lets people create collections of fanfics based on whatever criteria their hearts desire. Using FFDL's "get URLs from web page" function lets me get a list of the URLs that belong to a particular group, and then I could give those fanfics a unique tag by editing personal.ini to add an extracategories: value with that tag and using the "add new from URL(s)" command to update their metadata.

The trouble is that it's a bit of a tedious hack. There's maybe a dozen groups I'm interested in and most of those groups have multiple folders within them that could warrant tags of their own, so I'd be editing personal.ini over and over again and there'd be a risk of accidentally leaving one of those group tags in there when I'm done. And I'd have to do it all over again next time housecleaning day comes along. So my proposal is: how about adding a tag field in the "add new from URL(s)" dialog that serves as a that-time-only additional extracategories value? I can see this being useful in all sorts of contexts where one has a list of fanfics to download that you'd like to tag in some way - say someone posted a list of recommendations, for example, and you'd like to keep track of which ones came from them.

I can still do this manually via personal,ini so it won't break my heart if you don't like this idea. Just figured I'd fire this out there before I spent the time doing it that way.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #1230
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@FaceDeer,

I could add an ability to apply one-off ini snippets on 'Add from URL'. But what happens when you update those stories? I've toyed with the idea of per-story custom config, but it's never seemed with the effort. If you check 'Keep Existing Tags' option, they'll persist in tags, but not in FFDL's categories.

Let's back up from your solution for a moment and consider the original problem.

It appears you want to assign a tag to a group of stories that you download all at once. Using extracategories will also put that 'tag' in the title page of the story as a Category. Is that also a desirable feature?

I'm not terribly familiar with Fimfiction.net. It doesn't look like there's any link from stories back to the group(s) they belong to. Is that correct? Because if there is, that opens up new options.

My first thought is this: calibre has a feature for temporarily marking books. FFDL could (optionally) after finishing download/updating a set of books, use the temp mark feature to show you only the books just updated. Then you could apply tags or any other editing as you like using the regular calibre tools. You'd still need to check the 'Keep Existing Tags' option in FFDL.
Closed Thread