Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which new Sony should I get my wife
Lovely and pink but with a 5" display 18 32.14%
Boring black or silver, with the 6" display 34 60.71%
The Blue one with the fish - and no display 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
it really depends on what she likes. does she own lots of pink stuff? does she like wearing pink clothes? is she into more feminine stuff? if so, pink could be the way to go, but not all women (including wives) have the same taste - personally i'm a woman and i don't find a black reader boring - i prefer it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Go for the black 6". Black is always more stylish than any colour you can get. And it will fit with all other colours.

(for example, let's say you got that pink one, it would clash with a red outfit!)

And as FizzyWater already said, not all women like pink... (I personally hate it).
What they said! Black 6". I'm sure that there will be lots of pretty covers coming out soon, if she want's to beautify it, to fit her personality!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #18
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Can you read Adobe epub with a Kindle? PDFs?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #19
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh no. Stay away from skins and engraving. Two things that lower your devices value and can make it look ugly. Plus, you cannot return it if need be if it has a tacky sticker all over it.
This is really not true, at least about the skins. I have a Nook and a Kindle and I've put numerous skins from Decal Girl on them. They leave absolutely no sticky residue. You can't tell the skin was ever on there.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
Illusion
Illusion began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Give her a black 6, size matters. She can have a pretty cover later on.
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Can you read Adobe epub with a Kindle? PDFs?
No not unless you strip the drm & convert them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Perhaps you could ask a mutual friend to take your wife on a shopping/scouting trip to look at the Sony models and find out that way which colour/size she'd really like to have, if she hasn't hinted it to you already.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
The 650 in black with the Reader Touch Edition™ Zipper Case in pink. Black electronics have been considered elegant for several years now and a cover in pink covers the "pretty" base as well. I only picked the zipper case because it is the only one on Sony's website for the Touch edition currently in pink. And next year she can get a different color case if that suits better. The reader's color is a lot more expensive to change if you don't want to mess with skins or such.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #24
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh no. Stay away from skins and engraving. Two things that lower your devices value and can make it look ugly. Plus, you cannot return it if need be if it has a tacky sticker all over it.
I have a gealskin on my reader and i've removed it and reapplied it without any issues or residue being left behind. Maybe you got a bad one? Also, it wouldn't be ugly (to her) if she chooses whatever pattern she likes.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #25
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
yes! how old is your wife?

Being a pink lover i'd opt to get a 5'pink reader over skinning it. Skins look tacky to me so I'd not get them.

However, my mom being older, says my 6's is too small and she needs something larger.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance someone could adapt Sony's new firmware to run on a KDXG?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
Does she know she wants a e-book reader?
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #28
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Black is the new pink. You can always get a pink skin or cover as a later birthday present.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
Black is the new pink. You can always get a pink skin or cover as a later birthday present.
No idea if this will be true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I voted for the pink 5" for you. What made my decision is the way you describe them - it sounds like you'd really rather get her that one.
My preference would be black with a colorful cover. However, I voted pink for the same reason as sun surfer. It does sound as if you've already made up your mind by the way you describe the choices.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote