Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
pocketbook 360...access epub toc and zoom tables?

this is a bit of a double post (but nobody is responding in the what should I buy thread)...

well I think I need a pocket sized device to complement my kindle dx.

I have read a few threads here and it seems people really like the 360. however I want it to read my oreilly book collection, which are technical books. I have something on my smart phone (n900) called fbreader and it is great but cannot access toc on the epub docs. I just watched a youtube pocketbook 360 review and it said it used fbreader. so....

1) can anybody that owns the device and has books in epub format like the oreilly books check to see if it can access toc? no way I can navigate a big technical book on a 5 inch screen without a toc...

2) my kindle lets me zoom in on a table, which is really helpful (this is not just changing font size that actually does nothing for a table). If I could not zoom on the tables (which are prevalent in technical books, it would be a no go.

thanks very much for listening. I really like the idea of a pocket reader, but need those couple of features for certain...
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Where can I download a book I could try and tell you how it works?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
extendedping
Enthusiast

[edited out - Moderator]

cd pub

put a few oreilly books for testing in there...thanks much

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-24-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
extendedping
Enthusiast

anybody try? are toc enabled? hey you can learn subersion lucky you

Last edited by extendedping; 07-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've got bad news for you: I've downloaded one of the books, but I can't see the TOC in FBReader beyond the "Cover", and AdobeViewer won't even open the file. However, I am seeing it in all its glory in EPUBReader, the Firefox plugin.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
extendedping
Enthusiast

thanks very much. really too bad this device size and no frills looked perfect for me. hmm epubreader, let me see about that on the n900...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
thanks very much. really too bad this device size and no frills looked perfect for me. hmm epubreader, let me see about that on the n900...
It's a plugin for Mozilla Firefox, I'm afraid it's not ported anywhere. There is a subforum about it in Mobileread, next to Calibre and Sigil, if you want to look it up.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
extendedping
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
It's a plugin for Mozilla Firefox, I'm afraid it's not ported anywhere. There is a subforum about it in Mobileread, next to Calibre and Sigil, if you want to look it up.
thanks I actually have it working but its pretty unusable due to the size, running debian (linux) on the n900 and using firefox.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
FWIW, I've noticed myself and seen some other people post about how long Oreilly books take to open. Apparently, they use an inordinate amount of markup and the software chokes on it for a couple of minutes while it tries to get sorted.

I've got about a dozen Oreilly books, small ones like "Pocket Guide to ..." up to monsters like "Learning Java" and "Learning Python", and I've seen serious delays with each of them. The pocketbooks opened quickly on my Sony PRS-600 BUT they were difficult to navigate and the tables took forever to draw. I've found that once I get an Oreilly book open on my PB302, it's quite easy to navigate and the formatting is quick and crisp. I just checked "HTML & XHTML Pocket Reference", when I goto the TOC I only get "cover".
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote