Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
mctclover
mctclover began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Typo in my Category

I've been happily using my ebookwise for years, and have finally come across one that has stumped me. I have a typo in one of my categories in the Librarian. Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks for any insights and expertise you all can offer.

Last edited by mctclover; 03-19-2009 at 12:47 AM.
mctclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
ConvertIMP can change .imp metadata, but try it on a backup copy of your .imp to ensure it works properly for you.

If the .imp is not available to you, i.e. only on the EBW1150, then you would need to retrieve the .RES folder and convert it to a .imp using EBook-tools on CPAN. A bit more complicated, as it needs Perl to be installed, but known to work well.

Since reimp.exe (aka sbtest.exe) doesn't always work properly, it CAN be used to create a .imp but then you would need to "fix" it using ConvertIMP. A two-step process, but doesn't require Perl to be installed.

All these programs are described in our IMP software wiki.

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-19-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
mctclover

Thanks for the reply, Nick. Based on this, it sounds as if I would have to change the metadata individually for each book; book by book. Is there no way to change the actual name of the category itself, thus propagating the change out to all books that contain that metadata?

I've done this with bookshelf names, but haven't figured out a way to do it with category names as of yet.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctclover View Post
Thanks for the reply, Nick. Based on this, it sounds as if I would have to change the metadata individually for each book; book by book. Is there no way to change the actual name of the category itself, thus propagating the change out to all books that contain that metadata?

I've done this with bookshelf names, but haven't figured out a way to do it with category names as of yet.
So do you use eBookwise Librarian (aka GEBLibrarian)?

If so, then you can highlight the ebooks in the main screen and right-menu to Change Category... and select an existing Category or New Category.

All hightlighted books will then have their category changed. Be sure to sort by category (click the Category header in the GUI screen) so that you can use shift-selection to choose those ebooks with the wrong category name.

Does this make sense?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
mctclover

Yup - makes perfect sense, thanks. And, yeah. I do almost everything in the librarian, unless it requires specific file work to be done.

Using what you've said, I can change the category en masse to an existing category or to a new category, but I'm guessing there's no way to fix a typo in an existing category name, correct? That was really my ultimate goal.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctclover View Post
but I'm guessing there's no way to fix a typo in an existing category name, correct? That was really my ultimate goal.
Oh!

Ignore it?

Seriously, though, I don't know where Librarian stores the existing categories used.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I just looked through the registry and application settings and can find the info... Must have it in some alien language.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I just looked through the registry and application settings and can't find the info... Must have it in some alien language.
Strange, isn't it!

I too looked at a lot of places that that info could be stored and came up empty. I created a new category and searched for recent timestamped files and still couldn't find anything.

I'm usually pretty good at finding 'hidden' things, but this one is eluding me right now.

Oh, btw, to 'celebrate' your return from the 'dark red' side, I made a dual avatar (EBW1150meetsPRS-700) for zelda_pinwheel using your avatar as it's inspiration (ok, I copied onto it). If she doesn't use it, you are welcome to have it, if it suits your fancy.

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-21-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
It is strange! I can normally find something like this too, but I searched the entire HDD and registry and didn't find a thing. It must be stored in a binary form somewhere...

Love it. I'll watch to see if Zelda is using it and if not I will steal that bad boy.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
mctclover

Quote:
Ignore it?
Heh. I appreciate the suggestion. I'm too anal to ignore it - it's driving me out of my ever-loving mind. I'm going to have to change them en masse to a new category that I spell correctly this time .

Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
mark844
mark844 doesn't littermark844 doesn't litter

Device: REB1100, GEB1150, ETI2, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
The software creates a category list by querying the books in the various bookshelfs. It's not saved as a list anywhere.

To test, move all except 1 bookshelf from the application folder then restart the librarian application. Only the category's used by the books in that bookshelf are now available.
mark844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark844 View Post
The software creates a category list by querying the books in the various bookshelfs. It's not saved as a list anywhere.

To test, move all except 1 bookshelf from the application folder then restart the librarian application. Only the category's used by the books in that bookshelf are now available.
Nice find!

I confirmed it works like you have indicated and NOW know the reason for the lengthy delay when launching GEBLibrarian (aka eBookwise Librarian).

So to answer the original poster's querry, just ensure that none of your .imp's still use that category with the typo and then that category in the listing will just go away....

Case closed!