Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
And this is why DRM stinks....

It seems B&N is phasing out support for their BlackBerry App.

Granted there ware workarounds. But DRM puts the burden on the consumer to find these workarounds in order to continue enjoying a product purchased by us.

Many of us will not be affected by B&N decision but it does bring to light how quickly we can lose access to "our" content in future business decisions.

Quote:
Barnes & Noble slowly phasing out support of BlackBerry eReader

Please review the following specific changes to BN eReader software for BlackBerry:

As of October 5, 2011 only previously purchased B&N digital content will remain accessible and available on your device.
As of October 5, 2011, you will not be able to purchase and download new B&N digital content on your BlackBerry device via the BN eReader software for BlackBerry. All newly purchased B&N digital content must be sideloaded onto your BlackBerry.* (See below for further instruction)
Beginning January 1, 2012, BN eReader software for BlackBerry will no longer allow you to download any new and/or archived B&N digital content directly to your device. All new and archived B&N digital content must be sideloaded on your BlackBerry device.
After December 31, 2011, previously purchased B&N digital content that has already been downloaded and/or sideloaded on your BlackBerry device will remain accessible and available to you on your device.
(more....)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
How generous of them. i understand them closing the purchase of new content but locking you out of downloading your already purchased content unless you side load it is pretty cheezy IMHO
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
How generous of them. i understand them closing the purchase of new content but locking you out of downloading your already purchased content unless you side load it is pretty cheezy IMHO
Every scheme where you don't have full control of your data on your own hardware has ended like this since I first became involved with computers in the seventies.

It may suck but you have to be pretty damned braindead for it to be a surprise.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yeah, this is nothing new. DRM systems are intermittently revoked, c'est la guerre. I have my doubts the Blackberry platform was a big hit for them anyway, so I doubt it's a massive inconvenience.

Same thing happens with apps on platforms. Good luck running something written for OS 9 on a new Mac.

Also, keep in mind the same thing happens in the analog world when a format becomes obsolete. I've got a few hundred records sitting around collecting dust, and owning them doesn't grant me access to the same content in a different format.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Also, keep in mind the same thing happens in the analog world when a format becomes obsolete. I've got a few hundred records sitting around collecting dust, and owning them doesn't grant me access to the same content in a different format.
You know you can migrate those, right?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
On the other hand - I didn't know that B&N had a blackberry reader app. Is it available outside of U.S.?

I could use a good epub reader on my Blackberry. I have Overdrive, but it doesn't have a search function which is a bit of a showstopper for me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
There's nothing stopping you from buying a turntable from anybody and playing those records. You can even sell your records to someone else if you like, and they will be able to play them on their own equipment without any hassle. Neither of you needs permission from anyone else to play those records on different equipment. That's because there is no DRM involved with playing records. Granted, I don't expect to be given a free CD or mp3s of music I own on vinyl, but I also don't expect my access to the LPs I own to permanently disappear when my current turntable dies. DRM is the difference. I think your example only helps point out that DRM does in fact stink for us 'licensees'.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
And this, my friends, is why I get rid of drm from any book I buy. This is an example of what any company can do. You pay full book prices for only a license to use said book, for as long as said company sees fit. If your device or what not is no longer profitable to support, they could care less about the inconvenience they cause by suddenly locking you out of potentially hundreds of dollars of ebooks that you invested in.
I don't really think it is the same as records, or VHS cassettes ect. Those had no drm and there were ways to copy to the current format, or you can get a VHS player, or turntable like a previous poster said, and still be able to use your investment.
Now these blackberry users, I suppose could go out and get a nook, but what happens if barnes and noble totally stopped supporting ebooks. Probably won't happen anytime soon, but in the event that that did happen, everyone with drm protected nook books would no longer have access to those books due to drm. This could happen with any of the large retailers ie amazon, kobo, Sony ect. I have a kindle and buy the majority of my books from amazon, buti do purchase else where and convert if necessary. I get rid of drm as I buy a book, and then I back up all my books to three different locations. One of which is a cloud storage. I have invested lots of money into my books, too much to lose on the whim of a company deciding if they will continue to support my device. Another benefit, I am not tied to one device either. As most of my library is converted to both ePub and mobi.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
There's nothing stopping you from buying a turntable from anybody and playing those records.
You can even buy new turntables with a USB-connection. Even if there would be no turntables sold anymore it would be possible to make one yourself. This is because the whole system is open. No lock-ins.
pietvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
You can even buy new turntables with a USB-connection. Even if there would be no turntables sold anymore it would be possible to make one yourself. This is because the whole system is open. No lock-ins.
That's blasphemous! LOL. j/k

I strip all DRM as well because of things like this.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
There's nothing stopping you from buying a turntable from anybody and playing those records. You can even sell your records to someone else if you like, and they will be able to play them on their own equipment without any hassle. Neither of you needs permission from anyone else to play those records on different equipment. That's because there is no DRM involved with playing records. Granted, I don't expect to be given a free CD or mp3s of music I own on vinyl, but I also don't expect my access to the LPs I own to permanently disappear when my current turntable dies. DRM is the difference. I think your example only helps point out that DRM does in fact stink for us 'licensees'.
Not to mention, they'll likely be making record players and vinyl records 100 years from now. They might be inconvenient compared to the cd and mp3, but they really do sound better.

Why people actually think they are obsolete even though they still release music on vinyl is beyond me:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Vinyl-Re...at198100050015
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Not to mention, they'll likely be making record players and vinyl records 100 years from now. They might be inconvenient compared to the cd and mp3, but they really do sound better.

Why people actually think they are obsolete even though they still release music on vinyl is beyond me:
I have all my vinyl stored as 24bit/96k wav files (via a M-Audio Delta), they sound just as good as the originals. I also downsampled them to 16bit/44k to make some CDs for portable use, they don't sound much worse. I think most of the problem with commercial CDs is the dynamic compression they use. If you look at the shape of a wav taken from a CD it's almost square, with very little variation in frequency. But if you look at a wav from a vinyl record it's up and down all over the place.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
You know you can migrate those, right?
LP's, yes -- if I want to spend the next 6 months converting my record collection (in between work and everything else I have to do in my life). Plus I'd have to drop anywhere from $100 to $300 or more for said USB turntable.

Oh, and good luck doing that with 8-tracks, Atari cartridges, Beta tapes, Windows 3.1 or OS 9 applications, laserdiscs....

And yeah, other than DJ's and a handful of audiophiles, vinyl is pretty much gone. Heck, music recording stores are all but gone.

I.e. things occasionally go obsolete. This is not limited to DRM schemes, nor is this a new event.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
This is annoying behavior on B and N's part, but how is shutting off the download feature of one of their apps (while still allowing them to be downloaded on a computer and sideloaded) related to DRM? The DRM free books that you can occasionally find on B and N would also need to be sideloaded. B and N's DRM scheme is, as far as such things go, better than the others because it doesn't tie you into their servers for authentication. As long as you have your username and password, a copy of the reading software, and a copy of the book, you will be able to access your books even on a new machine. The same can't be said for kindle books or Adobe ADEPT books (that haven't upgraded to the new system).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I think that if you didn't remove the DRM infection the moment you purchased the book then you are to blame when you can no longer open the book. Why oh why would you not remove it asap?
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote