Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
The Saint Leslie Chateris

Names known to just about everyone, you'd think, especially someone working in a second hand bookshop.
But, no.
Me this morning: "Any Leslie Charteris books?
Pimply faced youth: <Blank look>
Me: "You know, The Saint!"
PFY: <Face lights up with comprehension> "Religious books are downstairs".

Surreal!
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
Names known to just about everyone, you'd think, especially someone working in a second hand bookshop.
But, no.
Me this morning: "Any Leslie Charteris books?
Pimply faced youth: <Blank look>
Me: "You know, The Saint!"
PFY: <Face lights up with comprehension> "Religious books are downstairs".

Surreal!
Does it reveal my age that I knew exactly what you were refering too just by seeing the authors name?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that I didn't know that the series originated as books - I only remember it as a TV programme with (?) Roger Moore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must admit that I didn't know that the series originated as books - I only remember it as a TV programme with (?) Roger Moore.
Yeah, It was Roger Moore that stared as Simon Templar (the Saint), but then they also did an INCREDIBLY cheezy movie starring Val Kilmer as well. But the thing that made the old TV-series popular here in Sweden was the fact that Roger Moore drove a Volvo P1800 in the show

Last edited by Slite; 10-02-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Even so, the names are familiar to you.
I'm looking for a copy of the first novel "Meet the Tiger". Long out of print, and the cheapest second hand copy I can find online is £50 (Dearest £1306).

I've often thought that copyright should end if a book is out of print. I'd happily buy a copy if in print, or a reasonably priced second hand copy, but I'd not be cheating anyone by downloading it from a Torrent.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
I'm looking for a copy of the first novel "Meet the Tiger". Long out of print, and the cheapest second hand copy I can find online is £50 (Dearest £1306).

I've often thought that copyright should end if a book is out of print. I'd happily buy a copy if in print, or a reasonably priced second hand copy, but I'd not be cheating anyone by downloading it from a Torrent.
Ouch thats costly. Kinda doubt this is "mainstream" enough to be scanned and torrented though.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:

Some of the copies listed on abebooks seem a bit cheaper (even allowing for postage).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Ouch thats costly. Kinda doubt this is "mainstream" enough to be scanned and torrented though.
It already has been. I remember when Jon discovered some of the MR books were being posted to the darknet without credit to MR I remember seeing about 50 Saint books posted.

I just checked my shelves and of the five Saint books there, Meet the Tiger was not one of them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, that's what happens with older series. I'm sure if I mentioned the name Kenneth Robeson to the same youth, I'd get the same expression. And if I followed up with: "You know... Doc Savage!" I'd get a reply such as: "Medical books, in the corner there. Anything from Africa's on the bottom shelf."

These days, pretty much any of those old adventure and pulp books are forgotten by today's generations, other than maybe Ian Fleming.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Well, that's what happens with older series. I'm sure if I mentioned the name Kenneth Robeson to the same youth, I'd get the same expression. And if I followed up with: "You know... Doc Savage!" I'd get a reply such as: "Medical books, in the corner there. Anything from Africa's on the bottom shelf."

These days, pretty much any of those old adventure and pulp books are forgotten by today's generations, other than maybe Ian Fleming.
Who?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I suppose someone at a bookstore would recognize the name Ian Fleming, but I'm not so sure about the general population.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Who?
You know... Ian Fleming, the series about the writer who thinks he's a spy. Written by that former-spy-turned-writer, James Bond.

(Yeah, I was rushing that train of thought just a bit...)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-02-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Heh.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
You know... Ian Fleming, the series about the writer who thinks he's a spy. Written by that former-spy-turned-writer, James Bond.

(Yeah, I was rushing that train of thought just a bit...)
Oh. I thought that he was a spy who thinks he's a writer.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Oh. I thought that he was a spy who thinks he's a writer.
Which? Fleming or Bond?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

You know what this world needs more of? Adventurers with cool names. I always loved names like Simon Templar (The Saint), Doc Savage, Peter Gunn, Mike Hammer, Thomas Magnum, Ironside, Longstreet, etc, etc, etc... we need more hero names like that!

That's why I named Captain Carolyn Kestral after a bird of prey.

Tags
unutterable silliness