Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Question Why no Android?

I could understand if Android is not officially supported if license fees are very high. But what i don't understand is, that there seem to be not even unofficial efforts to make Android run.
Why is that?
I could only see positive effects:
Development of software outsourced to dedicated software producers -> cost reduction.
Much better software -> more sales.

Last edited by Defenderland; 03-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Doesn't it mean a lot of effort to develop Android for an eink product? You wouldn't want all those android effects like when changing from one home screen to another or when opening the drawer etc. So you'd have to disable all of them manually. Besides that you would have to remove all those apps, preferences and internal modules for sms, phone, camera, gps etc etc

Porting Android to an ereader seems to be mostly about _removing_ stuff. And it's a lot of stuff you'd have to remove... If you create your own firmware from scratch, you will only be concerned with the user interface. Everything concerning modules/drivers is the same effort for Android...
If you plan to keep your software very slim (because ereaders have bad hardware specs), it doesn't sound so clever to take Android and strip nearly 80% of it...

I actually didn't understand in the first place why there actually are some brands like Sony that chose an Android platform for their devices...

(btw, the effort put into getting android to run doesn't seem to pay out: 80% of apps simply won't work at all: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...e-ink-display/)

Last edited by tuxor; 03-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post

I actually didn't understand in the first place why there actually are some brands like Sony that chose an Android platform for their devices...

(btw, the effort put into getting android to run doesn't seem to pay out: 80% of apps simply won't work at all: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...e-ink-display/)
eink supporting animation is already there
couple of days ago I saw a demo of such eink ereader.
in the long run androind is a safer bet and I believe it was a good choie
Nook Touch runs Android and it is an advantage ...for example a nook can run kindle for android or kobo for android. See the difference now ?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Doesn't it mean a lot of effort to develop Android for an eink product? You wouldn't want all those android effects like when changing from one home screen to another or when opening the drawer etc. So you'd have to disable all of them manually. Besides that you would have to remove all those apps, preferences and internal modules for sms, phone, camera, gps etc etc

Porting Android to an ereader seems to be mostly about _removing_ stuff. And it's a lot of stuff you'd have to remove... If you create your own firmware from scratch, you will only be concerned with the user interface. Everything concerning modules/drivers is the same effort for Android...
If you plan to keep your software very slim (because ereaders have bad hardware specs), it doesn't sound so clever to take Android and strip nearly 80% of it...

That is plain nonsense. Nobody wants to run ALL apps on an E-ink device anyway.
But some would be extremely helpful.

Given the problems some companies have with their software, Android seem to me the obvious choice.
And why is everybody so busy to root their devices whenever there is the slightest chance to do so?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

At the moment, we lack an appropriate basis of discussion, since we don't know any app (besides Kindle and Kobo, but come on - that's a bad joke?!), that actually works on an ereader with eink... Maybe there will be certain eink devices in the future, that will be compatible with a lot of apps. But I honestly doubt a device like the Boox M92 would provide a nicer experience if there was an android mod for it. I simply can't imagine that any "real" android app would run on it given all those touch gestures, animations, etc.

Btw, 256 mb ram with android 2.2+? Horrible - I'm a Milestone owner, I know what I'm talking about. Just forget it. It's a pain. And I have to admit that I simply don't like android - it's not really open source and it's so crappy to actually build an android mod. For the whole build procedure you'll need up to 90GB on your hard drive!!!

Last edited by tuxor; 03-01-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

tuxor,
i don't understand your opposition to Android as if the status quo without academic PDF-reading was any good. For Android professional apps do exist. I guess the problem would be solved for a long time.

In April it seems an 9,7" E-Ink device with Android is coming. And judging from the video it seems to be quite fast:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ie=ISO-8859-15

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...w-9-7-ereader/

Last edited by Defenderland; 03-01-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
tuxor
Addict

Well, if it actually solves our problems, why not? But two things: as far as this thread is concerned we were not talking about android on ereaders in general, but about android for onyx devices. It may be the case that for some companies like nook or sony the effort of adapting android to an ereader's needs pays out. But it's too much work for us users to port Android to a device that has no official support for it.
the other thing is, that the article on the-digital-reader.com also wonders, whether there actually is an android app, that has the functionality that we are looking for. And I'm wondering, too: Is there an Android app that does what we want _and_ that's likely to run on eink device?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Well, if it actually solves our problems, why not? But two things: as far as this thread is concerned we were not talking about android on ereaders in general, but about android for onyx devices. It may be the case that for some companies like nook or sony the effort of adapting android to an ereader's needs pays out. But it's too much work for us users to port Android to a device that has no official support for it.
the other thing is, that the article on the-digital-reader.com also wonders, whether there actually is an android app, that has the functionality that we are looking for. And I'm wondering, too: Is there an Android app that does what we want _and_ that's likely to run on eink device?
Well, they had to "port" Linux as well - with dismal results, as we all know.

Available apps? Plenty. For PDF-reading/annotating, multiple clipboard, notes applilkation, email, writing ...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
The question is not, if there are interesting applicatins running on android.

The question is, if those applications would satisfacory run on eink reader!! My feeling is most of them wouldn't without modification to run fairly well on eink.

My opinion is, there is no shortcut to have decent app on eink. Starting from Linux A or android (Linux B) the applications must be modified to run smoothly on eink.

The intuitevily easier path (using android) might be easily the more difficult one.

We'll see in future. If someone big adopts android for eink and if developers of android applications will take in account that they might run on eink, then android is better in long run.

To my opinion there is plenty of app for linux that could run with some effort on eink. It is not that important if it is android or another Linux.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

The question is, if those applications would satisfacory run on eink reader!! My feeling is most of them wouldn't without modification to run fairly well on eink.
If you are interested you could check on this very forum or elsewhere what
people are doing with their rooted T1s ...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
tuxor
Addict

Doesn't look that overwhelming... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169078
Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ks#PDF_Readers

There seem to be quite some options ...
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Defenderland
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

That's a good argument.

Quote:
To my opinion there is plenty of app for linux that could run with some effort on eink. It is not that important if it is android or another Linux.
I hope you are right - but hopefully sooner than later. Judging from the Wiki, it seems a lot of the missing features indeed seem to be worked on. From the producer's point of view to much time and money has been put into the development to jump the wagon anyway.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
That's a good argument.

I hope you are right - but hopefully sooner than later. Judging from the Wiki, it seems a lot of the missing features indeed seem to be worked on. From the producer's point of view to much time and money has been put into the development to jump the wagon anyway.
Welcome to the world of experimental reading ...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Please guys, I am getting tired of these "experimental reading"
It is like complaining that we have no settlements on Moon yet!
We are where we are. Is anybody in the eInk world ahead ??? If yes please indicate the device and I will buy it. If not let's stop complaining and if you do have work to do and eInk is mandatory then use it as is otherwise don't buy it and don't compare it with what the "aliens" could do on the Moon (read Android and tablet PCs)

let's be reasonable...

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote