Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Thumbs up Jailbreak Matrix

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

very handy reference if you want to jailbreak your iOS device. what devices can be jailbroken and what tools to use.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Cool. Handy. Thanks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

If I replace my iPhone 3G and it's no longer on a carrier, how do I go about finding some kinda phone carrier and jailbreaking?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

maggie.. there are two different things you should know..

jailbreaking - is the term given to the process of breaking the "jail" apple has put the iphone in and allowing you full access to the unix file system as well as loading non-apple approved software.

unlocking - is the process of breaking the carrier restriction on the device and allowing you to use it with any cellular carrier. so you could take your iphone and use it with a carrier other than AT&T who uses the same radio technology (t-mobile in the US.. but not sprint). generally unlocking requires you to first jailbreak the iOS device.

if your 3G comes off contract and you upgrade to a 4G you are not required to keep that 3G on AT&T. however at this time apple is not unlocking your phone so you can take it to another carrier either. you could, however, jailbreak the phone and then run unlocking software on it and use it with any carrier. you could give it to a family member who uses t-mobile and they could use it with their SIM card. note, not all features may work properly (visual voicemail doesn't work for example) or might require some additional configuration to get SMS/MMS to work.

also, do not buy any software to jailbreak and/or unlock your phone. the development community (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) that works hard to bring us these capabilities do not charge for their services. however there are many shady individuals out there who take their hard efforts, package them up in a pretty bow, and try to sell them for all sorts of amounts. you never know what else the could include in their software. only download jailbreak software and unlocking software from their "official" sources.

apple does sell some unlocked phones in various countries, generally for a more expensive price. you can now get an unlocked 3gs or 4 in canada for ~$750USD. you could drive up, purchase a phone, bring it back to the US and use it on AT&T or t-mobile without a problem, even going between the two carriers over and over by swapping sims.

Last edited by scottjl; 07-30-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks much, Scott. Very helpful info. I'm going to try to do both -- jailbreak and unlock -- once I replace my phone. The old one is not going to be of any use anyway, so I can mess with it and not worry about bricking it or otherwise messing it up. Then if that works out, I will jailbreak my iPad. As I understand it, iPad comes unlocked.

When people talk about "root," are they talking about getting full access to the OS source code?
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

when people talk about getting "root" access they are basically talking about jailbreaking a phone. the term jailbreaking seems to stick with apple products but other phones call it "rooting" or "getting root access".

for what you're trying to do (you don't mention which model) it should be fairly simple. just find which model and use an appropriate app, spirit is fairly simple, to perform the jailbreak and install the Cydia application manager (it's similar to the app store application). then install the latest unlock application available at the time (redsn0w, blacksn0w, the name changes). reboot your phone and you're generally done. you don't ever have to launch cydia or worry about other jailbreak applications if that's all you want to do. but if you ever get curious you can browse the Cydia repository and see what else they offer. everything from lock screen widgets to different themes, ringtones, security software (like Firewall IP), games, etc.

the android source code is available from google. apple will never release the iOS source code to the public.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, Scott. I'd never try this out if I didn't get this info from you.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

you're welcome.. we're probably way off-topic for this type of discussion on mobileread.. i'd recommend hanging out on http://modmyi.com/ for a lot more information along these lines.

Tags
apple, ios, ipad, iphone, jailbreak