Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #151
trek63
trek63 began at the beginning.

Device: PSP
People are talking about adding fonts to the KOBO Touch;but not much when they get there.There was some concern about font payload--there currently 67 of them on board at the moment!So no worries. What about the font list? With this amount the list would have to flip about 9 times! I may keep 3 flips to be comfortable. I will place the rest in a folder on my computer so they be rotated when desired. Here are a few that I have (not all 67)!
Cataneo
Catherine
CentSchbookPS-Italic
Chancellor
CaecilialLTStd-Italic
Carnegie-Plain-Regular
These were harvested at www.fontyukle.net
TTFN
trek63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #152
klammern
klammern began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My wife and I share the same Kobo. Is there a way we an divide how the books are listed into those that are hers and those that are mine? Some way to catalog them or index them so I don't need to sort through hers and she through mine to find what we are looking for?
klammern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #153
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you loading books via Kobo Desktop, ADE, or calibre? If you are using calibre you could probably set up a custom column and plugboard to prefix the title by an indication of who's collection of books a given title belongs to.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #154
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Deleted

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #155
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammern View Post
My wife and I share the same Kobo. Is there a way we an divide how the books are listed into those that are hers and those that are mine? Some way to catalog them or index them so I don't need to sort through hers and she through mine to find what we are looking for?
I use Calibre and divide the Library in to two sections (his and hers). I then generate a Catalog for each Library naming each of them in this format: Title - 1 His catalog, Author - A, calibre. Repeat for Her in same format.

The two catalogs will then always show up as first on either a Title or Author sort on the main books list. This makes it easy to do a search for his or her book on the list and then another search for the book.

The catalogs can be updated and reloaded as required.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #156
ellell
ellell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
share kobo account with daughter out of town

I'm giving my daughter a Touch for Christmas, and also gifting books for her ongoing thru my account. I will initially download my books on to her kobo from my computer, but how can we share my account when she leaves town? How does she synchronize her ereader ongoing with the books on my account?
Anyone know? Thanks!
ellell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #157
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
I'm giving my daughter a Touch for Christmas, and also gifting books for her ongoing thru my account. I will initially download my books on to her kobo from my computer, but how can we share my account when she leaves town? How does she synchronize her ereader ongoing with the books on my account?
Anyone know? Thanks!

Just set it up on your Kobo account and then she will be able to sync books from anywhere over WiFi.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #158
Genesis
Enthusiast
Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have been manually putting browser Favorites in koboEreader.conf

for example:
[BROWSER_FAVOURITES_GROUP]
http%253A%252F%252Fen.mobile.wikipedia.org%252F=
http%253A%252F%252Fwww.ctv.ca%252Fservlet%252FPage %252Fctv%252Fmobile%252Fslim=
http%253A%252F%252Fm.weatheroffice.gc.ca%252Fcity% 252Fpages%252Fqc-147_e.html=
http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F=

which are mobile wiki. mobile CTV (cdn tv network) News, Local Weather for Montreal and google.
I also have the digital edition of the montreal gazette as home page.

You may note that certain punctuation characters are double-encoded. : / % &

% -- %25
: -- %253A
/ -- %252F

Interesting, home page is single-encoded and Store urls are not encoded at all in the conf file.

every line ends in a =. I assume they are planning to add link aliases in the future.
Links that are too long displace the Delete icon in the Favorites menu.
so in the future entries might end up looking like:

google=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

Note: before creating a url, you MUST first test in your desktop browser if a trailing slash is accepted or not.
Last edited by Genesis; 12-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #159
goelnimish
goelnimish began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO touch
Not able to read PDF file

I am not able to read the PDF BOOK on KOBO touch recently purchased. These PDF e-books i am already having in my computer. I transferred the files in KOBO touch but it is not showing in library. Can anyone tell how to read on the KOBO touch.

thanks in advance
goelnimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #160
Etech
Etech began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi
I bought my Kobo Touch from Borders in August. It definitely did not work well, could not side load all my ebooks & etc, it was a big disappointment. But it was usable.
I decided to continue using my old reader(Astek) while waiting for kobo to get their firmware in order.
About a month back when i connected to my desktop, it updated the firmware through the Kobo desktop. Immediately after that, all it ever shows me is that stupid smiley face & those moving bars at the bottom. I have tried the reset button behind, letting battery drain, recharging the battery, but notting works. It won't even connect to the desktop now.
Anybody out there, has any idea, what to do. I'm in Cambodia, so returning it would definitely be difficult.

Thanks
Etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #161
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by goelnimish View Post
I am not able to read the PDF BOOK on KOBO touch recently purchased. These PDF e-books i am already having in my computer. I transferred the files in KOBO touch but it is not showing in library. Can anyone tell how to read on the KOBO touch.

thanks in advance
Where did you put them on the Kobo? If you drop them in the root directory (i.e. not in a folder) they should show up in the Library. You can create your own directory and drop it in there no problem, but putting it in one of the existing directories might not work.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #162
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etech View Post
Hi
I bought my Kobo Touch from Borders in August. It definitely did not work well, could not side load all my ebooks & etc, it was a big disappointment. But it was usable.
I decided to continue using my old reader(Astek) while waiting for kobo to get their firmware in order.
About a month back when i connected to my desktop, it updated the firmware through the Kobo desktop. Immediately after that, all it ever shows me is that stupid smiley face & those moving bars at the bottom. I have tried the reset button behind, letting battery drain, recharging the battery, but notting works. It won't even connect to the desktop now.
Anybody out there, has any idea, what to do. I'm in Cambodia, so returning it would definitely be difficult.

Thanks
Try to perform a factory reset: keep the menu button pressed when turning on the device. Beware: you will lose the loaded books, settings, firmware update, everything.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #163
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etech View Post
Hi

Thanks
As ‘clsdclsd’ said: Try to perform a factory reset:

1. Start up your Kobo Touch
2. In main menu, touch "Home" and then "Settings"
3. Touch "Device Information"
4. Touch "Factory reset" NOTE! THIS WILL CLEAR THE DEVICE
5. Device asks confirmation and does its magic for few minutes

After the process, you can start the device, and it is just like brand new. It will ask you to connect to computer and run through setup. During the process, device will automatically upgrade to latest firmware again.

I connect my Kobo Touch to the computer then open Calibre, after a minute two new icons pop up on the Calibre toolbar
One icon (Device) shows me which books I have in the eReader and I can delete books I've read, the other icon (Send to device) loads books I select onto the eReader
If the format is not suitable Calibre asks 'Auto convert the following books before uploading to the device ?' then does it all for you in one step !

Is this how you load eBooks onto your eReader ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #164
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
A while ago I mentioned that my Kobo Touch did not list books in author alphabetical order using Calibre & was told the metadata required editing. As there is no "collections" facility I re-edited all my books' metadata on Calibre & then tried again, still no luck. I have tried transferring them via Calibre & also sliding them across into folders, makes no difference. When checking the Kobo's folders, the authors name [surname first as preferred] then correctly the various titles which I name with the series numbers first for ease - e.g. Smith John as the folder then the titles - The Dictionary 1 - AAetc. What happens in the Kobo library when I check - it will start with book 3, then half way through it may list book 4 & 5 and then book 6 will be at the end - no noticeably reason why -but they are in their proper folders on Kobo. Help, please! It is so annoying when you have say 50 books in your library and have no idea where they are. Changing metdata obviously doesnt help.
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #165
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
D.., FWIW, on my Kobo Touch, when I go to library and sort by author, they are sorted correctly. I do use Calibre, I use "Last name, First name" for both the Author and author sort fields. Also, I do not use folders for the books on the Kobo (all the ebooks are in the root folder). I only have seven books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote