Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Macmillan to put the squeeze on eBook authors

While many eBook publishers pay royalties of around 40% of net, Macmillan has decided to make a grab for a bigger slice of the pie and is slashing author royalties from 25% to 20% of net.

Original report: Publishing Perspectives via Teleread.

Richard Curtis has published the letter that accompanied the new contracts on his blog and notes that while eBook royalties are going completely the wrong way, Macmillan is increasing the royalties on direct-to-consumer sales by 2-3 times and speculates that they might be gearing up for a fight with Amazon and B&N (does anyone else sell books nowadays?...)

The letter from John Sargeant of Macmillan is an illuminating read, including such gems as, 'as ... the distinctions between sales and licences blur.' I think we all know what that means, and it's not good.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Not just Macmillan, Charles; according to this week's trade press, the trend is pretty general -- at least where the bigger houses are concerned. Twenty percent seems to be the figure becoming standard. My own wee indie house and others I know will make no change in author royalty ... minimum 10% on treebook and 40% on ebook. Anything lower suggests desperation or greed. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
It's worth noting that MacMillan is raising its tree-book royalties by 5% as well. But from 5% to 10%, 15% for established authors.

Which is insanely low. I can't believe they were giving authors only 5% royalties. Maybe I don't know enough about big houses. But yikes.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i've read that 8% is average - whether that's true, i don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
It's worth noting that MacMillan is raising its tree-book royalties by 5% as well. But from 5% to 10%, 15% for established authors.

Which is insanely low. I can't believe they were giving authors only 5% royalties. Maybe I don't know enough about big houses. But yikes.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep ... it's bloody incredible that grubby-fingered shop keepers (I'll let publishers off for creative input) demand for a few inches of shelf space four, five, six, seven -- keep counting -- times as much from a book as does the author.
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
We should keep in mind, though, that of all the players in a standard deal with a big publishing house, the author is the only one who gets most (usually all, since most books don't earn out) of his money up front. Historically, that's served to reduce the upward pressure on royalties.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr

True, Jason. But giant advances these days are reserved for brand-name authors. Mid-listers and new authors are often offered very, very small advances. Minnow publishers -- like my own house -- offer no advance but a slightly higher royalty.

A funny thing with royalty advances, though, is that folks think these actually ARE 'payment in advance'. In reality they ain't. They are payment for raw materials that may have taken the creator several years to produce. They are actually payment in retrospect. Can you think of any other industry that calls payment for its raw materials an 'advance'?

Cheers. Neil
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I don't disagree. My point, however, is that when Joe Midlist's agent goes in to negotiate, Joe's agent is much more likely to try to negotiate the advance up from, say, $5,000 to $6,000, rather than trying to get an extra point on the royalties. X dollars now is almost always more appealing than the possibility of X+/-? dollars later, especially since everyone involved knows how low the odds are that the book will earn out even at that level of advance.

As to the raw materials comparison, I'm not sure it's apt. The arts almost always puts the work ahead of the reward, except for back in the days of arts patronage. I admit that my perspective may be skewed by the fact that I write fiction, rather than non-fiction or technical manuals, though.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

Bear in mind, though, Jason, that just because an author might not earn out his advance, it doesn't necessarily mean that his book hasn't produced profit all round. Earning out happens at a set sales-figure point, not at break-even point. Cheers. Neil
Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Advances for most authors are based on how many books the publisher thinks will sell. The big blockbuster advances are for celebrity authors or the rare novel with lots of interest.

In my opinion, it pays the author more to have a higher royalty rate. If the book sells as many copies as projected, you'll get your money either way (the advance is an advance on royalties, so any lack in the advance will be made up later). If the book sells better than expected, you'll make more on the backend with a higher royalty rate.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Oh give me a break. Publishers will put themselves out of business. In the music realm we recently saw bands like Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead release their own albums for FREE (donations and paid collectors versions available) and make as much or more money than they would have going through a music publisher.

If they lower author royalties, how long will it be before Grisham just says 'screw it' and releases an ebook only release in conjunction with Amazon. The publishers do what exactly with ebooks? Their very existence is questionable in the next 20 years. Lowering author royalties isn't going to help them.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Can you think of any other industry that calls payment for its raw materials an 'advance'?
Music.
Scriptwriting.
Some Games business models.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote