Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Pew research weighs in

Recently Pew had something to say about their research in electronic books:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2236/ebo...blets-ereaders
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Recently Pew had something to say about their research in electronic books:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2236/ebo...blets-ereaders
jbcohen, please add a little more to your URL referral so we know more about the subject. Thanks for the reference though.

What I found most interesting was:

"While e-book reading is markedly growing, printed books still dominate the world of book readers. In a December 2011 survey, 72% of American adults said they had read a printed book and 11% listened to an audiobook in the previous year, compared with the 17% of adults who had read an e-book."

I didn't know that many people listened to audio books. More than 1/2 as many as read an eBook.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
Quote:
Those who read e-books read more books than those who don't have the devices: The average reader of e-books says she has read 24 books (the mean number) in the past 12 months, compared with an average of 15 books by a non-e-book consumer
That makes sense to me. 1)the convenience of carrying an eReader as well as the anonymity of the title, and; 2)the desire to get a return from the money invested in the eReader

As for audioBooks, they are extremely convenient for drivers. I had a job with a 1-hr drive each way and consumed a lot of audio's
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i've never heard an audio book. i'm afraid that i simply wouldn't be able to concentrate on whats going on.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I though this small tidbit interesting.

The full report is very detailed and fascinating:

http://libraries.pewinternet.org/201...-of-e-reading/

Last edited by kennyc; 04-13-2012 at 07:14 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I suspect the reading with a child ratio is going to change dramatically in the next couple of years. A friend of mine was waxing lyrical last weekend about sitting down with her two year old and exploring stories (and bouncing off into interactive content) with her iPad.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i've never heard an audio book. i'm afraid that i simply wouldn't be able to concentrate on whats going on.
I've tried it on a few occasions. I suppose they would be okay for long drives. I found the experience mind-numbingly slow. Most folks read at a speed substantially faster than the spoken word, especially when it comes to dialog; the dialog is not only read far more quickly than spoken, but the descriptors of that dialog (she said, he exclaimed, etc) is not so much read as it is absorbed congruently with the dialog. I suppose the same goes for adverbs and adjectives to a lesser extent. When every word is verbalized, it distracts me to the point of aggravation: get to the point!
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I didn't know that many people listened to audio books. More than 1/2 as many as read an eBook.
I wonder how many of those who listened to an audio book had read that same book prior to listening. (God, I hope that made sense)

I did that with a pair of books, recently. I read the ebook. Then afterwards, I gave their audiobook counterparts a run through while I'd go running or on my walk home from work. It was rather enjoyable.

I do agree that it can be somewhat aggravating considering I read a great deal faster than Jay Snyder reads aloud.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I find the statistics given for Having a Wide Selection of Books to Choose From, 35% to 53% in favor of ebooks, hard to fathom. I know of many, many books that are available in paper form but not as ebooks. I have yet to encounter a case where an ebook is not available in paper. Am I not looking at some segment of the book market?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I find the statistics given for Having a Wide Selection of Books to Choose From, 35% to 53% in favor of ebooks, hard to fathom. I know of many, many books that are available in paper form but not as ebooks. I have yet to encounter a case where an ebook is not available in paper. Am I not looking at some segment of the book market?
Well there are a large number of eBook only releases, yes. Look at Amazon's KDP programme, for example.
But also, even if pBooks exist, you probably can't find them in a nearby bookstore.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The Darknet might explain it.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote