Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Ah, I wasn't clear. My meaning was that I think B&N assumed that once their version of the DRM was available in the Adobe SDK, that Kobo/Sony/everyone would all rush to accommodate the B&N DRM on their devices because B&N is just Too Big To Ignore.

Clearly that hasn't happened. I don't know about Kobo, but I bought a new Sony 350 for my mom 2 months ago and loaded a free B&N book to it - the reader would not open the thing. No prompt for username/CC#, just a big fat No.
Ahhh, gotcha.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
OT question: can you read Borders books using the Kobo Reader App?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #33
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
It's the same DRM. Should work if the kobo apps can side load.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #34
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Thanks
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Wait, the Kobo reader device should read the Borders books, but when you say "app" do you mean the Android app?

I don't know of a single "store app" (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) that allows sideloading books. Third-party apps like Aldiko can read Adobe DRM, though.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
OT question: can you read Borders books using the Kobo Reader App?
Nope, you'll have to use the Borders app or you could load the DRM'd ePub into Aldiko (also Bluefire for Android is supposed to launch next month). While the Kobo app supports sideloading it doesn't support sideloading DRM'd content. Or did you mean the iThingy app when you said app? AFAIK the answer is still no.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And yet B&N is always priced the same or higher than Kobo when I search Inkmesh for books. This is anecdata, of course, but B&N books are not significantly discounted - and they NEVER offer ebook coupons.
The inkmesh database is out of date in a lot of cases. It still shows books that no longer exist at some shops, prices that are wrong, shops come up that no longer exist. So really, when you get results from Inkmesh, don't take them as correct. They could be wrong. Go to all the shops and see what's what. A lot of the prices are pre-agency and wrong. CyberRead is still showing in search results and they no longer exist. Some books show up at sites that no longer have them after the agency mess. So really, Inkmesh needs to be updated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #38
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The inkmesh database is out of date in a lot of cases. It still shows books that no longer exist at some shops, prices that are wrong, shops come up that no longer exist. So really, when you get results from Inkmesh, don't take them as correct. They could be wrong. Go to all the shops and see what's what. A lot of the prices are pre-agency and wrong. CyberRead is still showing in search results and they no longer exist. Some books show up at sites that no longer have them after the agency mess. So really, Inkmesh needs to be updated.
This is true, but since B&N is my "first source" for books, I always do check.

And they are always, in my experience, "same price or higher". If they are saving on their books somehow with their DRM, it's not reflected in the ebook prices.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless they've disabled support for it like Sony did.
Last I heard (when Sony shipped their latest generation last year) they were still using a pre-B&N version of RMSDK and did not 'see the need' to update. But it's ridiculous, if it was just to spite B&N: does anyone with a Sony actually shop in the Sony Bookstore? I wouldn't.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Last I heard (when Sony shipped their latest generation last year) they were still using a pre-B&N version of RMSDK and did not 'see the need' to update. But it's ridiculous, if it was just to spite B&N: does anyone with a Sony actually shop in the Sony Bookstore? I wouldn't.
Oh, maybe that was it. There was an RMSDK out that supported it before the Sony's came out, but if they were still using an older one I guess that would explain it.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wait, the Kobo reader device should read the Borders books, but when you say "app" do you mean the Android app?

I don't know of a single "store app" (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) that allows sideloading books. Third-party apps like Aldiko can read Adobe DRM, though.
Kindle and Kobo and Overdrive Media Console allow sideloading of non-DRM content. Anything with Adobe DRM? Aldiko & txtr are it on Android AFAIK (Bluefire on the way, I hope) None of the others use Adobe RMSDK, which would be required to sideload Adobe DRM stuff (including PDF).

The corollary to this is that apps that don't use RMSDK are using their own DRM keys, bound to the app instance in question. The content that is downloaded is unreadable on anything but that instance of the app.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-26-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle and Kobo allow sideloading of non-DRM content. Anything with Adobe DRM? Aldiko & txtr are it on Android AFAIK (Bluefire on the way, I hope) None of the others use Adobe RMSDK, which would be required to sideload Adobe DRM stuff.
There's also Mantano Reader which does Adobe DRM (both ID and Password styles).
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There's also Mantano Reader which does Adobe DRM (both ID and Password styles).
Had not learned of that one, looks good. Unfortunately my Android device does not have access to Android Market. I'll check the usual alternatives...

Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #44
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Just skimming this thread makes my head spin. This is insanity. It's as if you bought a DVD that could only play on Sony players, or you bought a car that could only run on Exxon gasoline.

The industry needs to get over this proprietary DRM nonsense and standardize. Or better yet, dump DRM completely as a large number of indie authors have done.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #45
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Just skimming this thread makes my head spin. This is insanity. It's as if you bought a DVD that could only play on Sony players, or you bought a car that could only run on Exxon gasoline.

The industry needs to get over this proprietary DRM nonsense and standardize. Or better yet, dump DRM completely as a large number of indie authors have done.
I agree - it's insanity. I had alfing tools in place before my Kindle even arrived, and the whole time I was reading this thread I could only be thankful for all the confusion I'm avoiding.

When I see an ad for a new ereader, I can just look at each one in a comparison of tech specs, features, and such. I don't even worry about format or DRM. If not for the ridiculous tangle of DRM schemes, EVERYONE could have that same painless experience. Pubs don't even need to do away with it completely (I don't dare dream that high), just standardize to some degree. I think we're quite a bit beyond the point where these things are being developed in a vacuum.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote