Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
If it were sold through college book stores, it would be the perfect device for students.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #17
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
@alexxxm: V9 HAS e-ink!
damn... there was such a large reflection I could swear it was a plain LCD...

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah too big for my purposes, but pretty nice.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Great display size: really opens up the functionality (I find A4 docs on my Kindle a bit on the small side). A pity that according to their website you can have either touchscreen or WiFi, and not both.

I'd be fascinated to know if the problems with the 10" displays are down to the displays, or the display factory having received a larger order for Kindle components..
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #20
jmyers8888
jmyers8888 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet!
note-taking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyville View Post
I just want to READ with it. I don't need to write, or sketch or doodle.
If you're a teacher, the ability to notate a book is extremely important! I'm feeling real techno-lust for this device!

Jeff
jmyers8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #21
hofodude
hofodude began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The things that really interested are :

- With all this new functionality (note taking) and big screen size, how long is the battery life?

- How good is the note taking functionality?

It is really big btw
hofodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #22
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Is it really a E-Ink based reader? Too much light reflection!
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwwss View Post
Is it really a E-Ink based reader? Too much light reflection!
Put a camera flash to a Sony and the result will be the same.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I think this would be perfect for reading mangas.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I guess PDFs could be displayed properly on it too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #26
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
This post just made it to ENGADGET!
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/16/h...lay-previewed/

Wow and congrats!

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #27
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does anyone know why PVI is still the sole manufacturer of E Ink displays? It seems like it's going to be a lucrative business (with major players like Sony and Amazon entering the game).

So why only one component supplier?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Does anyone know why PVI is still the sole manufacturer of E Ink displays? It seems like it's going to be a lucrative business (with major players like Sony and Amazon entering the game).

So why only one component supplier?
E-ink is in the same boat right now as early LCD: Too many standards, designs, sizes, too little standardization. That makes it hard for any company to get serious manufacturing plants going. And so far, I wouldn't say E-ink has been so lucrative that venture capitalists are lining up to finance them...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
E-ink is in the same boat right now as early LCD: Too many standards, designs, sizes, too little standardization. That makes it hard for any company to get serious manufacturing plants going. And so far, I wouldn't say E-ink has been so lucrative that venture capitalists are lining up to finance them...
In fact, they went almost bankrupt. But then they made the deal with Sony to supply the screen for the Librie, which brought them back.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
muratlale4
muratlale4 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung I600,Treo 650, SonyEr. P1i
The V9 looks incredible!! What I dont get is the size of the screen, it seems to a bit prohibitive. Why not make a device that has all these specs with a screen size that works with A4 or standard US letter format well?
Perhaps there is a device like that out there, and I dont know about it (since I am a n00b, it is quite possible )
muratlale4 is offline   Reply With Quote