Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
MysticKatDaddy
MysticKatDaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle E-Ink
Full Android Tablet with E-Ink Screen

I have chronic migraine so I'm not able to use a regular tablet and have a kindle with the e-ink screen. Is there an e-ink tablet that runs regular android or an e-ink reader that can be made to run regular android? I'd just like something I could use to use the facebook, twitter, and gmail apps.
MysticKatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
There are actually a number of android E-Ink devices out there, such as the Onyx Boox and Boyue devices. They range in size from 6 in. screens to 10 in., with rumors of even larger ones on the way. You will also find Icarus and Energy Sistem devices, most of which are rebadged Boyue devices, I believe. Some are easier to find than others. You'll find threads about all of them somewhere on mobileread!

As far as where to buy them, that depends on what country you live in.

If you have an idea of what size device you'd like, and any other features you want, then the search can narrow a bit!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKatDaddy View Post
I have chronic migraine so I'm not able to use a regular tablet and have a kindle with the e-ink screen. Is there an e-ink tablet that runs regular android or an e-ink reader that can be made to run regular android? I'd just like something I could use to use the facebook, twitter, and gmail apps.
Please bare in mind that the devices suggested to you are usually not fluid as tablets, have slower processors, and sometimes you have to find the right firmware to make them as a "proper" tablet. Hopefully if the big mobile players will consider double lcd, eink screens and you and me will be more happy to not have headaches anymore
At the moment exists the yotaphone 2 you could be interested https://yotaphone.com (although the screen is smaller than a tablet) and the Siam 7x

Last edited by trocchietto; 01-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 AM   #4
MysticKatDaddy

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
Please bare in mind that the devices suggested to you are usually not fluid as tablets, have slower processors, and sometimes you have to find the right firmware to make them as a "proper" tablet. Hopefully if the big mobile players will consider double lcd, eink screens and you and me will be more happy to not have headaches anymore
At the moment exists the yotaphone 2 you could be interested https://yotaphone.com (although the screen is smaller than a tablet) and the Siam 7x
This is all true. However, if all you want are apps to read with, slower processors won't matter. If you want to do more demanding stuff, then you'll want something faster. For reading purposes, I find my T62+ very satisfactory. But I wouldn't watch videos or play any games with it, other than things like Sudoku or crosswords!
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
MysticKatDaddy

T62+

It sounds like the T62+ will fit my needs then. So, you can install regular android apps like facebook, twitter, amazon kindle, and chrome then? It would be great to do all my web based reading on it.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
MysticKatDaddy

I actually just found that Amazon has the Icarus Android E-Reader
Old 01-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
I don't want to burst your bubble but:
Most of the apps you are mentioning are not prepared for high contrast reading on e-ink devices, resulting often (not allways) in gray on gray resolution pictures. To make this even more confusing this behaviour can be device or firmware dependend, so some devices tend to show menus in some apps in white letters with white background, others show them readable.
In my experience android eink devices can be satisfactorily used for what you are intending to use them but require often a lot of fiddling to be satisfied with the result. Some of this mentioned fiddling means finding a specific version of an app from 1-3 years ago others means changing the app itself...
Best get one into your hands and try it out some time before bying it.

BTW: Some kindles are hackable and they all have an android backbone so why didn't you free your device first and use it to its limits.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 01-24-2016 at 04:43 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
MysticKatDaddy

Thanks

I read that the Onyx tablets have some special software that makes regular android apps more visible on an e-ink screen so I'm currently looking at the Onyx Boox M96+. I can get that on amazon and then return it to them if I don't like it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

I can tell you that the Gmail app looks and works just fine on E-Ink. I don't know about the others you mentioned, as I have never used them. What can happen on some apps is that menus end up being white-on-white or black-on-black because they were designed for color displays and not for grayscale. Titanium Backup is one of those. That is frustrating. But I haven't run into this problem in apps I've used for reading, like Moon Reader Pro or Instapaper. The default ebook reader apps on Onyx devices are good - especially Neo Reader. In fact, I am running Onyx firmware on my Boyue T62+ because the Onyx firmware gives me better battery life and a better ebook reader app. YMMV, of course. But if you don't mind investing a little time in seeing what works well and what doesn't, you can come up with a good solution.

The next best thing to an E-Ink device is to use night mode on a "regular" Android tablet, for whatever apps may support it. I have tried that, but I still find E-Ink easier on my eyes.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
BTW: Some kindles are hackable and they all have an android backbone so why didn't you free your device first and use it to its limits.
No, the eInk Kindles run Linux. Only the "Fire" tablets are Android-based, and the OP specifically said that he wants an eInk device, not an LCD tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Ups, right you are. Thanks for the clarification.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
BrianR
BrianR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
On your Boyue T62+, can you download Overdrive and use it to download and read library books?
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #14
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
This is all true. However, if all you want are apps to read with, slower processors won't matter. If you want to do more demanding stuff, then you'll want something faster. For reading purposes, I find my T62+ very satisfactory. But I wouldn't watch videos or play any games with it, other than things like Sudoku or crosswords!
is ok, but still not so immediate to switch between books flawless, after all I am now used to tablets standards. If you read a novel you are right, if you are a continuous researcher as me that needs to switch continuously between books, then.. more processor and ram would be definitely a good point to improve.

Still I firmly believe that the future will be lcd+eink screens, is just the logical way the market could go.Also because eink is now applied to shoes as well, so only the feat to customize the back of the phone with a color eink will be enough to make a phone cool for everybody and functional for power users like us.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #15
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the eInk Kindles run Linux. Only the "Fire" tablets are Android-based, and the OP specifically said that he wants an eInk device, not an LCD tablet.
aaah do not say this to linus torvalds. He is really proud that every day linux is bought from milion of people because android is based on linux as well

I love linus torvalds he said that is a failure because he wanted linux to overtake on desktop devices