Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
abrakatabra
abrakatabra began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interactive ebooks in iPad... how?

Hi all, this is my first post here, even though i have been reading for some time.

I have been proposed to make a series of ebooks for the iPad. Now, while i have managed to create epubs, the main focus of this project is going to be on those interactive, animated children's books. However, it now appears to me that this isn't possible in epub?

I thought it was possible to embed flash in epubs but apparently i was wrong. So how does one develop an interactive, animated ebook for the ipad? And do these books work on other non-apple devices as well?

Thanks!
abrakatabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Interactivity isn't impossible in Epub, but you'd be better off with an app. You can do more and it's easier to accomplish.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that iBooks supports "enhanced" eBooks with video, sound, etc, but I don't know what tools one would use to create them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I thought of interactive fiction, like this:

http://iplayif.com/?story=http://par...e/Tangle.z5.js
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Interactivity isn't impossible in Epub, but you'd be better off with an app. You can do more and it's easier to accomplish.
Simple interactivity is possible in ePub if the reader supports links. You can, for example ask multi-choice questions or yes and no and then put in links to the appropriate place in your eBook. Some pages can be excluded from the main flow and only available from links. You can get pretty creative is you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert