Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
There you go......I'm not naïve, someone just misinterpreted the copyright laws
*shocking* !!! and they're so limpid and straightforward, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
* in my experience "white fluffy crap" (ie. snow) is called <expletive deleted> especially when it comes in seemingly unending amounts.
by the way, i think "expletive deleted" would make a good name for a band.

Quote:
** I would like to say I am a better man for going without TV and the Internet for 10 days, but I can't. It just made me more a curmudgeon than HarryT***
i start to have symptoms of withdrawal when my internet connection is down for more than 10 minutes or so, so you have my sincerest sympathies. i'm glad you've re-established contact with the outside world again.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Really, what is difficult to understand about "it's in copyright for 70 years after the author's death"? It ain't rocket science .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in copyright for 70 years after the author's death, unless we're talking about canada and some other countries where it's 50 years, except for things published before 1924 (or whatever it is) which are in the PD in the US but nowhere else regardless of the date of death of the author UNLESS their copyright was explicitly renewed, in which case they're *not* in the PD there either, and by the way in France don't forget to add + 6 years 152 days for the World War I, + 8 years and 120 days for the World War II, [+ 30 years if the author died on active service], and if we're talking about a translation then the date of death of the author is irrelevant because in fact the key date is the death of the translator, and the same holds true for a compilation of works in a specific order...

no, no, you're right, there's nothing at all confusing about that.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
in copyright for 70 years after the author's death, unless we're talking about canada and some other countries where it's 50 years, except for things published before 1924 (or whatever it is) which are in the PD in the US but nowhere else regardless of the date of death of the author UNLESS their copyright was explicitly renewed, in which case they're *not* in the PD there either, and by the way in France don't forget to add + 6 years 152 days for the World War I, + 8 years and 120 days for the World War II, [+ 30 years if the author died on active service], and if we're talking about a translation then the date of death of the author is irrelevant because in fact the key date is the death of the translator, and the same holds true for a compilation of works in a specific order...

no, no, you're right, there's nothing at all confusing about that.
My head hurts now
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
My head hurts now
my point exactly.
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #21
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
whaooo... you really know this business zelda ^^'
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do world wars have to do with copyright terms? You slightly lost me there. Could you elaborate?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
whaooo... you really know this business zelda ^^'
no, i just know a tiny bit, enough to know that current copyright laws are bloated and abusive and ridiculously arcane and tortuous and need urgently to be revised. (oh, and that most of the problem is Disney's fault).

and i didn't even mention CC works, which can be in the PD even though their author is still alive !!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do world wars have to do with copyright terms? You slightly lost me there. Could you elaborate?
personally, i don't see that they should have anything to do with copyright terms, myself, and the entire business loses me.

wikipedia is your friend :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pyright_length

(see the listing for France.)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
and i didn't even mention CC works, which can be in the PD even though their author is still alive !!
Creative Commons works most certainly are not in the public domain. The fact that something can be copied does not make it "public domain".
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Creative Commons works most certainly are not in the public domain.
i believe they can be released into the public domain specifically*. even if they're not in the PD, you usually have the explicit right to copy them, which is yet another statute to factor in.

*i could be wrong. copyright law is complicated and confusing, and i am not an expert by any means.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
i believe they can be released into the public domain specifically. even if they're not in the PD, you usually have the explicit right to copy them, which is yet another statute to factor in.
Any author can explicitly release a work to the public domain, but that's entirely different from a Creative Commons licence, which is a licence to copy a work within certainly very rigidly-defined terms.

You can do anything you want with a work in a public domain - modify it, create derivative works, sell it at a profit. All these acts are specifically prohibited for works released under a creative commons licence. A work released under a CC licence is fully protected by copyright laws, but the author has said "you can copy it under these specific circumstances", which are laid out in the licence terms.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Any author can explicitly release a work to the public domain, but that's entirely different from a Creative Commons licence, which is a licence to copy a work within certainly very rigidly-defined terms.

You can do anything you want with a work in a public domain - modify it, create derivative works, sell it at a profit. All these acts are specifically prohibited for works released under a creative commons licence.
sorry, i was confused.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

actually the basic CC licence is not that rigid ; i think the most basic version requires only that the author of the work be credited (attribution). there are other components which can be specified depending on the creator's intentions. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativ...mmons_Licenses

there's also the copyleft movement which is another very interesting point of view, by the way :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The fundamental difference between a CC work and one that's in the PD is that a CC work is "owned" by its author, and fully protected by copyright law. Nobody owns a work that it's the PD, and anyone can do absolutely anything they wish with it. The original author has no more rights to it than anyone else does.