Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
Exclamation TABS DISAPPEAR FROM DOCUMENT - REVERT TO NO FORMATTING

Hi, I just installed the version of SIGIL for Mac Maverick and added the X-code.

I have opened a previous epub and have made changes. I have manually added tabs at the beginning of each paragraph.

However, when I go back to view and make more changes, THE TABS HAVE DISAPPEARED and the paragraph are no longer indented.

How do I fix this???

I have gone back and re-added the tabs at the beginning for every paragraph, yet they don't stay.

Help!!
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are you doing this in code view or book view?

The best way to indent each paragraph is to put the following code into the stylesheet:
Code:
p {text-indent:1.5em}
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
mibtp
Enthusiast

I am doing the tabs in BOOK view.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
mibtp
Enthusiast

I have not worked with the stylesheet before. Where would I put the code? What line?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
I am doing the tabs in BOOK view.
Tabs are not really a good way to do things. (multiple spaces are ignored)

If you want an indent. Set an indent.

If you want columns: use tables
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
mibtp
Enthusiast

Indent INDENTS the entire paragraph. That is not what I'm trying to do. Sample of what I am trying to do below (part of my novel).

Death sucks.

( indent) I should know. I croaked once before the ultimate upchuck to face the one who knocked me off. I'd get to point the finger at the prick who put a .22mm to the back of my head.

(indent ) How embarrassing. Killed by an ancient bean shooter. They should've at least used a Gatling, Revolving Carbine or AMT Automag with some blinky LEDs. But no, a dumb-ass .22.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
mibtp
Enthusiast

Just noticed the tabs show in code view but NOT in book view.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You use 2 styles for that (typical) treatment.

<p class="co">"Death Sucks.</p>

<p class="normal">I should know. I croaked once before the ultimate upchuck to face the one who knocked me off. I'd get to point the finger at the prick who put a .22mm to the back of my head.</p>

<p class="normal">How embarrassing. Killed by an ancient bean shooter. They should've at least used a Gatling, Revolving Carbine or AMT Automag with some blinky LEDs. But no, a dumb-ass .22. </p>

/* normal paragraphs */
.normal {<other style stuff> text-indent: 1.5em; }
/* chapter opener paragraphs*/
.co {<other style stuff> text-indent: 0; }
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

text-indent only indents the first line of a paragraph. margin would indent the entire paragraph block.

This may be a good time to learn some html+css, as you can do lots of complicated stuff with it that will make it much easier to format ebooks.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
mibtp
Enthusiast

I'll research how to text indent as the buttons are for margin indents. Have not figured out how to text indent.

I do know html but not css. (

Thank you for responding eschwartz and theducks.

Patrice
The Unfinished
Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
I'll research how to text indent as the buttons are for margin indents. Have not figured out how to text indent.

I do know html but not css. (

Thank you for responding eschwartz and theducks.

Patrice
The Unfinished
Well then, you're halfway there already!

keep it up and you'll be a pro in no time!

An excellent resource to start learning is here: http://www.w3schools.com/css/
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
mibtp
Enthusiast

I hope so. I haven't used Sigil in 6 months and it's like learning again for the first time. Still looking for text indent documentation ....

All the best
Patrice
Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
mibtp
Enthusiast

Finally got to work with the code:

p {
text-indent: 1.2em;
}

But I now have to add the <P>and </p> to every paragraph.

Patrice
The Unfinished
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

depending on what is there right now, a regex may be able to automate a lot of it.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
mibtp
Enthusiast

I don't know what that is. (

Tags
indent, indentation, tab