Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #91
tazem
tazem began at the beginning.

Device: Dell_Axim/Astak_PP
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you are talking about contemporary books with DRM for the average joe... then yes... it is true. Granted, there are many sources of DRM free books that you can also get for the kindle. Many places you can get them make it easy to put them on your Kindle without using a PC... for example, Feedbooks.

then there are some the make it pretty easy. For example, webscriptions will send your purchase to your Kindle via whispernet using the email feature.

My point was... if this person is happy with getting their books from Amazon and they don't know much about computers it is probably going to be "too much" for them to try any other method. Then if you want to get into DRM removal their head will probably explode.

BOb
She only knew about Amazon, did not know there was any other way to obtain books. She was unaware that there are other sources out there. This seems like living in a city with a large public library, but being told that you can only get books from THIS bookstore.

Personally I have had bad luck with DRM'd ebooks. The few I bought, several years ago, had problems when I wanted them on more than one device. Namely my desktop and my laptop. That was just too much trouble to deal with.

I will check out Feedbooks, and, as I already use Calibre, will install that for her. I know that she will not be interested DRM removal, hacking, scripts, or pirate sites. Just an alternative to Amazon only.

tazem
tazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #92
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
She only knew about Amazon, did not know there was any other way to obtain books. She was unaware that there are other sources out there. This seems like living in a city with a large public library, but being told that you can only get books from THIS bookstore.

Personally I have had bad luck with DRM'd ebooks. The few I bought, several years ago, had problems when I wanted them on more than one device. Namely my desktop and my laptop. That was just too much trouble to deal with.

I will check out Feedbooks, and, as I already use Calibre, will install that for her. I know that she will not be interested DRM removal, hacking, scripts, or pirate sites. Just an alternative to Amazon only.

tazem
Understood about the DRM. Of course with Amazon you can read the books on your kindle, PC, Mac, Andriod phone, iPad, iPod, etc.

If you want to find more DRM free sources check out our Wiki at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores which specifies if the books stores use DRM or not. Some popular ones that have DRM free are Smashwords, Webscriptions and Fictionwise multi-format books are DRM free also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #93
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
I get my first kindle 3 3g (B006) from 1 week and I instal jailbreak 0.7 and some three hacks, and all this with bin file with prefix "k3gb" !...
Anyway it seem to work all except a hacks that permits downloading other file types then .prc, .mobi, .azw .
I read now that I must instal bin file with prefix "k3g" ... I must reinstall that things or not?
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote