Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
PRS-505 died on shutdown

I did a shut down last night and closed the cover. This morning I opened the cover to find a "!" in the middle of the screen. Apparently it jammed while shutting down. I tried pressing the reset button, the on-off button and any other button I can think of. Anyone have any ideas how to unlock this unit? I tried plugging it into a USB port but the computer doesn't see it. The battery is full.

Thanks.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
MikiBroki
MikiBroki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Use the wall charger, in this case usb charging does nothing
MikiBroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is the 505 does not comes with an AC adapter. So it cannot be charged that way unless you purchase the AC adaptor or an AC adapter for a PSP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The 505 is designed to charge from a USB port even when the batt is flat. However nathantw commented that the battery was charged, so that's probably not it. I'd still recommend leaving the rascal plugged in to charge for several hours, just to be sure it's not still a flat battery somehow.

Especially since the next step is probably calling tech support.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When the 505 is plugged into the USB port, does the red light come on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When the 505 is plugged into the USB port, does the red light come on?
Thanks for all the recommendations. The red light does indeed come on when plugged into the USB port.

I called Sony tech support and they referred me back to Sony Style since they couldn't fix it. They're just going to send me a new one since it's within 30 days of purchase.

To think I was pretty close to finishing the book I was reading too. I guess I can read it on my computer. <sigh>
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The 505 is designed to charge from a USB port even when the batt is flat. However nathantw commented that the battery was charged, so that's probably not it. I'd still recommend leaving the rascal plugged in to charge for several hours, just to be sure it's not still a flat battery somehow.

Especially since the next step is probably calling tech support.
I'll keep the unit plugged into the USB for a couple hours. The unit has that "!" and the words "Shutting down..." on the bottom. It'll be interesting to see if it comes back to life.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
They're just going to send me a new one since it's within 30 days of purchase.
Good news! Glad they're taking care of it for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Good news! Glad they're taking care of it for you.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Leaving the unit plugged into the USB fixed the problem!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Nathan
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Even better news! You might want to call Sony back and let them know, too.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
I am happy that it is working. Take a look at the user's guide, if you shut it down again, turn the Reader on (even although it won't come on) and then connect it to the computer, it will come on faster. If not, it will be a long wait.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote