Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have my Calibre library in DropBox so I can login through the Kindle's browser and grab a book if it's not already on device.
I use Dropbox too. Using their app I export to Gmail and emailed it to my Kindle from my Phone if I am away from my PC.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Tsu
Nameless Being

Thanks for all of your responses, guys. You've made it seem much less daunting to try to choose what to read pre-emptively. I never knew that you could access Dropbox through the Kindle's browser, and nor did I think of dumping my Calibre library into it - very cool, and I'll have to keep it in mind.

As far as using the Cloud for remote storage - it's a good idea in theory, but it would only end up frustrating me. About a quarter of my books are from Amazon themselves, and I'm a big series person, so I've grabbed book 2 and book 7 (for instance) from Amazon, because other stores have had them cheaper.

I think I'll do as Katsunami does and load a few series onto my Kindle and 10 - 15 "regular" novels at a time. I'm sure that once I'm used to it, it won't bother me as much. The next step is to afford the Kindle.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu View Post
DropBox....
Many such services have statements in their EULA that say something akin to this:

"When The Provider suspects that you are using The Service to host copyrighted material for which you do not have distribution rights, The Provider is allowed to close down your account without further notice."

In short, if you put a lot of books into DropBox and they come to the conclusion that "2000 books have to be illegal stuff, nobody reads that much", then you could lose everything at once. They might even notify authorities to check it out.

edit: DropBox indeed has such a notice:

Quote:
Copyright

Dropbox respects others’ intellectual property and asks that you do too. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement if they comply with the law and are properly provided to us. Such notices should be reported using our DMCA Process. We reserve the right to delete or disable content alleged to be infringing and to terminate repeat infringers.
When you put the books into your private space, they may not be visibile to the outside world, but it could still be that DropBox checks accounts themselves, as nothing prevents you to share a password for example.

Not trying to scare you out or anything, but I'd NOT put huge amounts of books into a storage locker such as DropBox, and if you do, make sure you have a backup and a way to prove that you actually bought that stuff.

Quote:
I'm a big series person, so I've grabbed book 2 and book 7 (for instance) from Amazon, because other stores have had them cheaper.
I hate it when that happens. A few days ago I bought a series that consisted of 6 books. I've looked at Kobo, BooksOnBoard, FeedBooks, Whaterstones, and Diesel E-Books. (I only buy EPUB.)

1. None of these stores had the entire series. (Why not? That's stupid.)
2. A book could cost between $4.50 and $9.95 between the cheapest store and the most expensive one.

I ended up buying 4 books with Diesel (cheapest for those three), 1 with Kobo (cheapest for that one, with a difference of $3.49 to the next cheapest), and 1 with BooksOnBoard (only one that had this part of the series.)

Bleh. That's another reason to de-DRM the entire stuff and save it somewhere safe.

Quote:
I think I'll do as Katsunami does and load a few series onto my Kindle and 10 - 15 "regular" novels at a time. I'm sure that once I'm used to it, it won't bother me as much. The next step is to afford the Kindle.
Assuming you actually intend to read all the books you have, you should get used to this way of working quite quickly. And it puts a bit of a stick behind the door to actually start reading those books you put on the Kindle, if you don't have your entire library with you, especially when you finish your current book when away from the computer.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Many such services have statements in their EULA that say something akin to this:

"When The Provider suspects that you are using The Service to host copyrighted material for which you do not have distribution rights, The Provider is allowed to close down your account without further notice."

In short, if you put a lot of books into DropBox and they come to the conclusion that "2000 books have to be illegal stuff, nobody reads that much", then you could lose everything at once. They might even notify authorities to check it out.

Not trying to scare you out or anything, but I'd NOT put huge amounts of books into a storage locker such as DropBox.
People have been using Dropbox for ebooks for a long time. Unless you are sharing links no one would know what's in your DB. Dropbox does not go looking into your files. They have said this time and time again. Just keep your stuff out of the public folder and you will be fine.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If I'm storing my books as a backup in my DropBox account I'm not hosting them for distribution so there should be no problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
mike7
mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle touch 5.1.2; KOBO AURA ONE; PW2 :(
My system

How I collect my book for reading and manage them?
1. I find interesting books (google, library)
2. I look for them in PDF
3. In Calibre convert (and fix them-clear from: adverts, numbers and so on) to mobi
4. copy some of them to Kindle to folders:
-actual read (usualy 5-9 book at the same time)
-zoom (next to read)
-books (according mood)
-other books (non beletry)
-finished read
-english

Now I have, after JBPatch, collection manager so I can
system improve but I will see.
Maybe I can add folder "unreadable" but I still havent book like this....
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Thanks for all of your responses, guys. You've made it seem much less daunting to try to choose what to read pre-emptively.

This is a good idea, Tsu. There's been a recent thread about Kindle indexing issues (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205727). The consensus is that it's not a good idea to try to load too many books onto your Kindles all at once.

Personally, I choose to keep my book collection in Calibre and back up my HDD frequently, but then I don't like clutter on my Kindle, and I live in an area with unreliable internet access. I get a real sense of satisfaction when I delete a book I've just finished from the K, add a "read" custom metadata tag to it in Calibre, and load up the K with books that have been waiting in the wings.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a collection called 1st in series and another called Next in series. Plus some author collections. I have close to 400 on the paperwhite now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Odins_child
Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
As of right now, I keep all of my books on my kindle. I only have around 100 or so. I also keep a back up in calibre and skydrive.
Odins_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
[...] I prevent Kindle from indexing the files [...]
Hello,

I assume you talk about Paperwhite. How did you disable books indexing on Paperwhite? I find no reference online.

Thanks for the input.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Hello,

I assume you talk about Paperwhite. How did you disable books indexing on Paperwhite? I find no reference online.

Thanks for the input.
I don't know...I just searched all through the Kindle Dev Corner and couldn't find it. I'd be interested in turning indexing off, too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
zzroger
zzroger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo & Kindle Touch
I must be odd

Yes, I must be odd. I usually have three books on my Kindle. One, I am reading, the next two are, of course, the next to be read. When read I delete immediately.
I do like it all neat and tidy...lol
zzroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
For the first six months or so, I kept all my e-books on the Kindle. But when my collection grew to over 1,000 (I have almost 7,000 now!), I found that the device had slowed down too much and had intermittent problems.

Now I keep just a handful of reference-type nonfiction, a few "active content" games/utilities, and one or two fiction books on the Kindle. I delete the books after they're read. That works much better for me.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote