Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #61
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This may not be the right place for this but I figure it's at least a good starting place:

The default recipe in Calibre is working quite well for me in getting all my articles; I end up with a much nicer ePub than Instapaper offers and it's great having the images in articles included. I was wondering if there's any way to have the images centered on the page instead of left-aligned; using the css it'd be a matter of simply setting the margin property on any img element to "0 auto 0 auto". Possible at all?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #62
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Hi all - the custom instapaper recipe (both the dev and stable version from this thread) stopped working for me a while ago. I'm now getting this error whenever I try to execute it - happens both with my standard account and a test account I just created...

Any thoughts? Running on 0.9.19 - anything change in calibre lately that needs to be uptaked (I just made that word up I think) by the recipe?

Code:
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running
Using custom recipe
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  unbound method get_browser() must be called with BasicNewsRecipe instance as first argument (got nothing instead) (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 189, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1009, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 239, in __call__
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\recipe_input.py", line 108, in convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 830, in __init__
  File "<string>", line 39, in get_browser
TypeError: unbound method get_browser() must be called with BasicNewsRecipe instance as first argument (got nothing instead)
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #63
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
OK - should have done a couple searches first. This recipe got hit by this change:

Calibre update breaks Calibre API
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204109

You need to change your recipes to use

br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self)
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #64
angriest
angriest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Hi, I've been using this excellent recipe for a while, but in the last few days it's stopped working. It downloads all the articles, then exits with
Code:
34% Article downloaded: Goalscorers who form the name of their team - The Knowledge
Illegal instruction
without writing the epub file. I'm running the command through the commandline (ebook-convert /home/xbian/instapaper_recipe_dev.recipe insta.epub --output-profile kobo --username blah@gmail.com --password blah). The other recipes I run in the cronjob still run fine.

Anyone have any ideas or have come across the same problem? thanks, Jim

(PS I get the same result with the built-in recipe, and both the dev and standard versions from the zip in the OP)

Last edited by angriest; 02-27-2013 at 04:43 AM.
angriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #65
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by angriest View Post
Hi, I've been using this excellent recipe for a while, but in the last few days it's stopped working. It downloads all the articles, then exits with
Code:
34% Article downloaded: Goalscorers who form the name of their team - The Knowledge
Illegal instruction
without writing the epub file. I'm running the command through the commandline (ebook-convert /home/xbian/instapaper_recipe_dev.recipe insta.epub --output-profile kobo --username blah@gmail.com --password blah). The other recipes I run in the cronjob still run fine.

Anyone have any ideas or have come across the same problem? thanks, Jim

(PS I get the same result with the built-in recipe, and both the dev and standard versions from the zip in the OP)
Hey angriest,

I could not reproduce your issue using the Calibre GUI on windows with either the stable or dev version.

I also tried running the command-line version on a Debian install and couldn't reproduce that either.

Can you verify that you are still getting this error, and in that case could you try another Instapaper account to make sure this is not a particular article tripping Calibre up?
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #66
angriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khromov View Post
Hey angriest,

I could not reproduce your issue using the Calibre GUI on windows with either the stable or dev version.

I also tried running the command-line version on a Debian install and couldn't reproduce that either.

Can you verify that you are still getting this error, and in that case could you try another Instapaper account to make sure this is not a particular article tripping Calibre up?
Thanks, will give it a go and let you know.

Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #67
angriest

Quote:
Thanks, will give it a go and let you know.
Hmm, I tried running the recipe on my laptop with all the same articles - fine.
I reverted to a system backup of my RPi and ran the recipe with the same articles - fine.

Possibly something funny with dependencies and the newer RPi firmware, but I'll just stick with what works for me.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #68
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm, I tried running the recipe on my laptop with all the same articles - fine.
I reverted to a system backup of my RPi and ran the recipe with the same articles - fine.

Possibly something funny with dependencies and the newer RPi firmware, but I'll just stick with what works for me.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Great!

I've had some bugs manifest when running Calibre on the Pi. It does seem a bit unstable as of current.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #69
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Made a few modifications to the code for (IMO) slightly better formatting:

Code:

oldest_article        = 0
    no_stylesheets        = False
    extra_css = 'q { font-style: italic; } .size3mode { color: black; }'
    remove_javascript     = True
    remove_tags              = [
        dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'text_controls_toggle'})
        ,dict(name='script')
        ,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'text_controls'})
        ,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'editing_controls'})
        ,dict(name='div', attrs={'class':'bar bottom'})
        ,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'controlbar_container'})
        ,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'footer'})
        ,dict(name='label')
         ]
    use_embedded_content  = False
    needs_subscription    = True

Changed no stylesheets to False to retrieve basic styling information from Instapaper. Added CSS to italicize captions/quotations and change the text colour back to black from the default #222 that Instapaper defines in the .size3font class. Added in a line to remove the LABEL tags from the returned HTML so that headers are not duplicated.

So far I've had no problems with any articles and no images are centred and captions/quotes stand out from the rest of the article better. Hopefully this can help out someone else too.

EDIT: I've also submitted this as a proposed enhancement to the bitbucket repo for the plugin just in case.

Last edited by buffaloseven; 04-20-2013 at 08:03 PM.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #70
khromov
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
EDIT: I've also submitted this as a proposed enhancement to the bitbucket repo for the plugin just in case.
Thanks, I will take a look at it shortly.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #71
khromov
Connoisseur

The development version of the recipe is currently broken due to layout changes on the Instapaper.com site.

The stable version (which most people use) still works.

I'll make a patch in a few days for the development version.

Pull requests are welcome:
https://bitbucket.org/khromov/calibre-instapaper
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #72
adfadfsasdfafafd
Enthusiast
adfadfsasdfafafd has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I started a separate thread about this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2828123

but perhaps I shouldn't have?

Anyway, what I wrote there doesn't seem to be correct - it doesn't seem to be fetching any articles at all, starred or otherwise. Here's a blog post announcing the redesigned website:

http://blog.instapaper.com/post/85125160146

edit: Hopefully I've fixed this myself; see the other thread.

Last edited by adfadfsasdfafafd; 05-16-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: fix noted
adfadfsasdfafafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #73
khromov
Connoisseur

Hey adfadfsasdfafafd,

Yeah, it looks like the recipe broke with the introduction of the new Instapaper layout. I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #74
khromov
Connoisseur

Looks like Kovid has gracefully fixed the recipe. Thanks!

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...tapaper.recipe
Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #75
cpaholovach
cpaholovach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The recipe

Works very nicely for me
  • I created an IFTTT recipe to send articles to a specific folder in Instapaper
  • I then used this recipe in Calibre
  • I started downloading books and everything works
  • One issue is that Instapaper only shows 40 items one each page of my folders so Calibre only downloads 40 articles per folder
  • The folder has articles in it but to see them in Instapaper you have to click "Older"
  • Any idea on how to make it so Calibre will download the articles in Instapaper on page 2 and 3?

Thank you very much
cpaholovach is offline   Reply With Quote